The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Alex Edler is a Liability

Drewismyname

5 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

For what? Knowing how to argue without resorting to childish insults? If you think you're so right about Edler, try debating like an adult. You're proving you have no argument.

I'm posting this because I love  irony........ the above is a "childish insult".     Pot and kettle.

On 2015-11-19, 9:50:54, Drewismyname said:

As a long standing Canucks fan, I have witnessed, year in and year out, our playoff chances disintegrate. I have re-watched the past few years of this team's playoff failures, and believe a large percentage of the blame falls on the disinterested play of Alex Edler. I have argued this point, to the dismay of CDCers for years. The ousting of Roberto Luongo, the blaming of the Sedins for a lack of offense, all unwarranted. Almost every big turning point moment in the playoffs the Canucks have failed to stop their opponents,  is highlighted by an absent minded Alexander Edler.

This is not a troll post, nor is it a hate on for Edler. I simply think the Canucks would have done better without him. Remember to look at the score and consider the points in the series that these failures occur at. 

For The Record:
November 22/15 vs Devils: On ice for 5/7 goals against

Who accumulates clips over 5 years of a players career of everything bad/unfortunate they have done.  Edler is a solid defenceman and you can do this for any single player in the league with enough games played. 

4 minutes ago, swizzey said:

You are such a loser! Who accumulates clips over 5 years of a players career of everything bad/unfortunate they have done. You have some serious problems dude. Get a life. Edler is a solid defenceman and you can do this for any single player in the league with enough games played. 

Get off CDC.

Everything bad and unfortunate ?

This was just his major playoff gaffs since 2011. I thought It proved a pretty valuable point. Also I was learning video editing and needed a topic. Edler losing games for us really stuck out in my mind so I went with it. Search "Jannik Stone hands Hansen" to see the other video I created.

thanks for coming out though, oh and for resorting to personal insults. You're a great addition to the board man. 

Still think Elder is our best by a long shot. Does make mistakes as do a lot of players. I think the elder does or doesn't suck argument has been beaten to death on this thread so I won't bother adding more to it.

As for Tanev being better I think is a bit of a stretch. Maybe if you feel a defense man should only contribute defense then ok you may have a point but that has no basis in reality to be honest

Sure Tanev is safer. He plays conservative and is rarely out of position . But the flip side to that game is zero offense.. zero hitting and zero grit.

If you had 6 tanev's you would lose alot of games because they cannot pass or shoot or anything but get it out of your zone for the most part and dump it in for a turn over.

You need tanev types and elder types and sbisa types. Would it be nice to have a nicklaus lidstrom who never makes an error defensively and provides  offense?too... yeah we can just trade elder for one right?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I agree with everything you wrote there but $5m is not #1 money. He's paid at the #2 level he should be. That he isn't played as one due to a lack of better options is not his fault.

Highly debatable. His caphit is #35 in the league (#1 on the Canucks)    http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/
Plus his actual salary this year is $6M (caphit $5M)
Plus he has a NTC. This is where it gets subjective since we can't tell the $ value of a NTC.
At least 5 defencemen above him on that list don't have a NMC or NTC   http://www.thefourthperiod.com/no_trade_list.html
     (there is more than five but I stopped counting at Pietrangelo and Karlsson since we know for certain Edler is not at that level any way)
All things being equal we take the NTC out of the equation he is top 30. That means he is getting paid #1 money.
It also highly subjective using pay considering Keith is #20 on that list. Keith is easily considered top 10 in the league for defencemen. 
So as long as Edler is paid near the top 30 he is being paid like a #1.
He is top 20 in ice time in the league.
He gets the pay of a #1 and the icetime of a #1. He should play like a #1 but he is far from that. 

I have no arguments that there aren't better options (wth happened to Hamhuis?). But that means he should be showing more leadership and playing better on a consistent basis. Instead he flounders too often in the defensive zone, bobbles the puck, makes lousy passes and aims his shots right at shinpads. 

I know our d-corps needs a tonne of work. Hence why a rookie (Hutton) looks amazing. Or why an NHL call-up (Biega) looks impressive simply because he shows some drive.
I would be quite happy if the rework of the d-corps started with Edler moving out.

I really wished he was moved before that NTC kicked in but that ship has sailed.
Instead I fully expect that I will continue to cringe while watching him play more often than not.  Last night being a 'not' night.

3 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

So, if someone is childish towards you, calling them out for it is also childish? Hmm.

That makes sense.

This taken from the "Swedish Court thread'

"Gurn feel free to send me a private message if you want to argue semantics. I will respond to that and have a decent response.

But lets keep this thread about the topic and the ideas posted in the OP as opposed to arguing the language used by the posters. As per the board rules of course.

Irony I love it.

Many D men have been moved with NTCs. I don't doubt Edler would go if he ceased to benefit from being gifted icetime with the Sedins. I wouldn't want to be moved either if I could ride Hank Sedins coat tails for years while not being held accountable because of my questionably meek personality. 

15 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

10 times out of 10, I keep Tanev over Edler. It's not even a question. 

I'd move Edler for Hamonic, 'keeping' Tanev. (Which would nicely bump Tanev to 2nd pair where he belongs).

Even though I'd be 'keeping him over Edler', still doesn't make him a better D.

It would simply improve our right D depth (and overall D makeup moving forward) while also bringing in a younger player. Overall skill/quality wise it's a largely lateral move. 

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

This taken from the "Swedish Court thread'

"Gurn feel free to send me a private message if you want to argue semantics. I will respond to that and have a decent response.

But lets keep this thread about the topic and the ideas posted in the OP as opposed to arguing the language used by the posters. As per the board rules of course.

Irony I love it.

So, calling out a poster for derailing the thread's topics is derailing the topic? 

2 minutes ago, asian player said:

- there is no urgency in his game

- he does not know how to use his frame

- he's a giveaway machine

- makes slow decisions

- HIS SHOTS NEVER HIT THE NET

- he should retire from professional sports and spend his millions on an enjoyable, relaxing, non threatening lifestyle. :)

17 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Highly debatable. His caphit is #35 in the league (#1 on the Canucks)    http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/
Plus his actual salary this year is $6M (caphit $5M)
Plus he has a NTC. This is where it gets subjective since we can't tell the $ value of a NTC.
At least 5 defencemen above him on that list don't have a NMC or NTC   http://www.thefourthperiod.com/no_trade_list.html
     (there is more than five but I stopped counting at Pietrangelo and Karlsson since we know for certain Edler is not at that level any way)
All things being equal we take the NTC out of the equation he is top 30. That means he is getting paid #1 money.
It also highly subjective using pay considering Keith is #20 on that list. Keith is easily considered top 10 in the league for defencemen. 
So as long as Edler is paid near the top 30 he is being paid like a #1.
He is top 20 in ice time in the league.
He gets the pay of a #1 and the icetime of a #1. He should play like a #1 but he is far from that. 

I have no arguments that there aren't better options (wth happened to Hamhuis?). But that means he should be showing more leadership and playing better on a consistent basis. Instead he flounders too often in the defensive zone, bobbles the puck, makes lousy passes and aims his shots right at shinpads. 

I know our d-corps needs a tonne of work. Hence why a rookie (Hutton) looks amazing. Or why an NHL call-up (Biega) looks impressive simply because he shows some drive.
I would be quite happy if the rework of the d-corps started with Edler moving out.

I really wished he was moved before that NTC kicked in but that ship has sailed.
Instead I fully expect that I will continue to cringe while watching him play more often than not.  Last night being a 'not' night.

That's nice and all but contracts can no longer be signed above 8 year terms and the cap (and hence salaries) continue to rise. 

In today's dollars/CBA, a #1D gets $7m+/year. 

I'll grant you that when he signed his current contract, it was arguably ~#1B money but it sure isn't anymore.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That's nice and all but contracts can no longer be signed above 8 year terms and the cap (and hence salaries) continue to rise. 

In today's dollars/CBA, a #1D gets $7m+/year. 

I'll grant you that when he signed his current contract, it was arguably ~#1B money but it sure isn't anymore.

:lol:
That means there are only seven #1 defencemen in a 30 team league :rolleyes: 

Archived