The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Canucks Recall Pedan, Reassign Fedun

Robongo

I really don't see the point in calling guys up only to have them sit in the Press box and watch the game.  Yes they make a more money in Vancouver than Utica but - they should play.

Also if a player comes up from Utica, IMO they should actually play several games - I say 3 at least so they get a feel for the faster pace and higher skill a lot of NHL players have.  Shinkaruk and Grenier got a game, Fedun did not.  Biega did get one game and was + 2 for that game.  He watched at least 4 or 5 more.  The difference between the bottom players in the NHL and the top players in the AHL is very small - if anything.  With the defence that the Canucks have this year, most are inter-changeable with the top 3 in Utica.

1 hour ago, Longtime Fan said:

I really don't see the point in calling guys up only to have them sit in the Press box and watch the game.  Yes they make a more money in Vancouver than Utica but - they should play.

Also if a player comes up from Utica, IMO they should actually play several games - I say 3 at least so they get a feel for the faster pace and higher skill a lot of NHL players have.  Shinkaruk and Grenier got a game, Fedun did not.  Biega did get one game and was + 2 for that game.  He watched at least 4 or 5 more.  The difference between the bottom players in the NHL and the top players in the AHL is very small - if anything.  With the defence that the Canucks have this year, most are inter-changeable with the top 3 in Utica.

Insurance and exposure, baby!

6 hours ago, Longtime Fan said:

They get an NHL paycheck and get to practice with the team.

That way they will be more prepared when they do get a chance to play.

I think Pedan gets a game or more if only because we really don't have another one of him...Sbisa's the next closest for a "type" of player.

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I think Pedan gets a game or more if only because we really don't have another one of him...Sbisa's the next closest for a "type" of player.

I agree. I'd be surprised if they don't at least give him a shot. The closest we have to him at the moment is Sbisa really. Now that's saying something.....

I really like this addition, I hope he gets some time with Bart on the 3rd pairing (who is good at skating the puck out, decent defensively and could help Pedan in difficult situations). His physical play will hopefully shine and he can grow in confidence. I hope he first showing is a positive one, we could use this kind of presence on the back end.

On 23/11/2015, 17:25:48, RonMexico said:

Contrary to what you may think, the GM and coach do not operate independently of one another.

I don't think so.  Torturella wouldn't play Weiss, so the GM had to trade him.  The coach always has the option to scratch a guy or leave him on the bench - often forcing the GM's hand.  Of course, he can opt to get rid of the coach after being annoyed enough or dissatisfied enough with the coach's performance - but the coach decides who, of the players available, he plays.

An example from the career of Don Cherry:

"Colorado Rockies

Cherry went on to coach the Colorado Rockies the following season. Under his tenure, the Rockies adopted the motto "Come to the fights and watch a Rockies game break out!" and the slogan could be seen on billboards all over Denver in the 1979–80 season. Cherry's hiring as head coach immediately rejuvenated the ailing franchise's fortunes.[citation needed]

However, as he later admitted, his outspokenness and feuding with Rockies general manager Ray Miron did not endear Cherry to management. While Cherry did much to motivate the players, goaltending was still the team's weakness as Miron refused to replaceHardy Åström, whom Cherry dubbed the "The Swedish Sieve". Cherry recalled one game where his players had got ten shots on goal without scoring, but Åström then conceded a goal from the opponent's first shot and so was yanked from net. Of course, Cherry didn't help things when, after watching defenseman Mike McEwen ignore him and refuse to come off during a game, he reached over the boards and manhandled McEwen to the bench. Arriving in Colorado, McDonald found himself at the centre of another power struggle. When the Toronto Maple Leafs' Lanny McDonald was abruptly traded to Colorado, Cherry was sympathetic to the fact that McDonald's wife was less than two weeks away from giving birth (as Cherry had not been present when his own wife Rose had given birth), and gave McDonald permission to leave the team on off-days to return to his wife in Toronto. However, general manager Miron did not approve of McDonald's leave, which was another factor that led to Cherry's contract not being renewed after one season"

From Wikipedia

Archived