The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Accountability

37yrsncounting

1 hour ago, 37yrsncounting said:

So if the players choose to ignore the first step of awareness, what do you do to try and rectify that?  They are professionals making millions of dollars playing under management.  The are one part of a whole team that needs to be held accountable to one another.  Clearly these players are not and the reason for that is simple, its because their jobs are guaranteed at the moment.  The suggestion of benching them is not only a way to try and wake up the player but also to show other players on the same team there are consequences if you are not accountable as part of the team.  Im sure you have played some type of organized sports in a team at some point in time.  If your teammates starts making mistakes, its fine at first, but as a teammate, if you see mistake continue to happen and nothing changes then you realize that you don't have to be accountable either and soon you start making mistakes without worrying about consequences.  You don't think everytime, Hamhuis or Edler gives away the puck, our goalie is standing their wondering how the heck could they could have made that play.  It becomes distracting and without any type of 'disciplinary' action, it just tells everyone on the team that go ahead and play poor, its fine because there are no consequence to poor play and that in effect is whats happening to the team at the moment compared to the early part of the season when they were playing well.

Is it really a surprise that players playing well at the moment are rookies like markstrom and mccann who wants to proof they belong here or that Dorset has completely disappeared after signing that big contract over the summer?

I don't disagree (pardon the double negative) with some sort of consequence put in place, but I am making the distinction between accountability and discipline.  The term "holding people accountable" gets tossed around all the time and it's an oxymoron. It is not possible to hold people accountable because that comes from the individual, themselves.  You can try all sorts of methods (riding the pine, trading, send down to the minors, etc) but, at the end of the day, to inspire change and taking ownership of one's actions, it boils down to the individual's motivation to do so.  And you have to evaluate the pros and cons of a disciplining decision, whether it will be more detrimental to the team or not. 

Do I think tough decisions need to be made in order to get the message through?  Absolutely.  Do I hope, then, that certain players will wake up and take accountability?  Absolutely.  Do I think our players have the ilk to be accountable?  Some, but, mostly, not.

I relate to your frustration with the team and lack of accountability.  I just don't believe that the players we are looking at to be accountable have it within them to do so.  Disciplining or not.

Seems like a lot of the fans aren't very accountable.  Team hits a bad stretch and so many posts are filled with some of the most disrespecful drivle I've heard around here.

Lots of injuries and horrible road trips.  Yeah, the guys had a couple of bad games, but for the most part they fought hard and had some bad luck.

News alert...this is a rebuilding team with a revolving door of players.  They just aren't even close to being contenders and won't for a few more years.  Get used to losing games or find another team to leach off.  The rest of us will still support this team until they can make some noise in the SC playoffs.

the only players who have played well this year are the sedins, miller, and hansen

mcann started off well but is less effective lately

the youth movement is not realizing any immediate progress this year

so we stick with the youth movement and continue to falter and we should relabel this season as a "rebuild"

if it is not a true rebuild, then a veteran needs to be acquired to assist the 4 veterans who have played well, cuz the kids cannot do that

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm glad the only exam I need to pass now is my bed sheets being dry in the morning!:lol:. How would you grade our boys' performance tonight?

Well I missed the game but it looked like Markstrom brought out Mr.Hyde today rather than Dr.Jekyll.

Gonna love the next few years with him in net guessing which Markstrom shows up each night.  :bigblush:

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Well I missed the game but it looked like Markstrom brought out Mr.Hyde today rather than Dr.Jekyll.

Gonna love the next few years with him in net guessing which Markstrom shows up each night.  :bigblush:

His stay might be short, with Demko on the horizon?

On 12/2/2015, 3:59:32, Rainism said:

Benching or sitting 30+ year old players aren't going to do anything as they've reached their ceiling and aren't getting any better.

Our defense is absolutely awful and we are still counting on our 35 year old superstars to score all the goals.

We clearly have a problem when your second line has Prust with Vrbata.

I'm surprised Daniel is even producing above PTS/G with our horrible defense that don't even know how to run the powerplay or simply hit the net. (Weber you got lucky tonight with skating that puck in, it'll only happen once like that and once only for you)

We are in dire need of a trade- I don't care how we do it, it's not gonna be easy but we need a GOOD one.

Players that we desperately need out of our team:

Edler (29), Weber (27), Hamhuis (32), Burrows (34), Higgins (32), Vrbata (34)

I doubt anything is going to even happen since Benning is happy with our group when we're healthy- as heard on TSN1040

OUR whole team is aweful i would rather just make Great buddies w my fellow fans and wait for suiside of the team then we can  be busy cheering later when we won a REAL cup . i STIL THINK WE SHOULD send a clear message- by leaving the Arena EMPTY

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

His stay might be short, with Demko on the horizon?

demko still has maybe 2-3 years before he's ready to make the jump up. a gem like that, you don't want to take chances. people call the canucks a "goalie graveyard" but look at how the leafs are handling things there. that stereotype needs to stop now

Archived