The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RD - LD ?

Traditionally they just haven't. Not really much of a reason. I always just thought it was because of a lack of a center defensive position. But honesty, i'm not sure if there is a "real" answer persay other than tradition. Today, we are seeing more and more, people use LD and RD for specificity. 

Other positions like you mention have a player in between them (a center, or center backs in soccer), so while in reality defenceman are left and right side, they just haven't been labelled as such because they often end up switching as necessary during the flow of the game.

There's not big, deep thought on this one I don't think.

Has to do with puck possession. Plenty of schools of thought on the idea. The traditional idea being that Left handed Dman playing left side will have their forehand against the left boards to aid in keeping the puck in the offensive zone (same for battles in the D-zone)...and vice versa for the right side. But teams will often times criss cross their left and right handed D for the PP...to gain the edge on inside shot (similar to wingers criss crossing).

However, as a coach I usually deploy my Dmen on their off side. I teach them to use their skates and body to keep the puck in the offensive zone. It actually makes for an easier transition from skate to stick, gives the inside shot and allows the Dman to turn into the play if everything goes horribly wrong on the pinch (so he can get back faster). I'm no coaching genius (I didn't invent this), so I suspect a lot of other coaches (right up to the NHL) also subscribe to this method. One advantage I have as a coach is that I played D right up to Bantam then defensive Forward right through Midget and Junior...so I got to have a perspective that a lot of other coaches haven't experienced.

I also subscribe to the fact that your best 2way player on the ice MUST be trained to take faceoffs...this is your 3rd defenceman so that you don't get outnumbered down low...but he must be big, and he must hustle 200ft every shift all game long.

Cool answer. Thanks. 

I know it's not a new thing to keep D on their strong side but I've noticed the last few Olympic/national team selections for example they have been more R-L focused. I get the feeling the position is getting more separated. 

Going off topic but what got me wondering was I was looking through the D history in Vancouver to see who the best RHD was and specifically how VAN drafted them. And it was difficult to sort through the info. 

If anyone is interested, Lidster (133rd), Salo (239 OTT), Bubla (undrafted), Lanz (7th), Brown (36th QUE), Aucoin (117th), Sopel (144), Bieksa (151). 

Archived