The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Character building for the young guys

*Buzzsaw*

Maybe we as fans didn't want this season to turn out the way it has.

Maybe we were hoping for a repeat or better of last season, with the new guys and the vets integrating seamlessly into a renewed Canuck team which could actually contend.

But shyte happens, and the team is playing short of some key personel.  And the young guys are really up against it.

The good news is I believe I detect signs the youngsters are responding.  It seems in the last couple games, they have stopped waiting for the Sedins and the rest of the vets to bail them out, (no Henrik to do it anyway :( ) and have realized they have to take the bull by the horns and determine the outcome of games by themselves.

While I don't expect the rest of the season to turn around and the Canucks to suddenly become a top echelon team, what is happening bodes well for the future.

Guys like Horvat, McCann and Baertschi are staking their places as leaders in the Canucks of the future.

I am especially happy with Horvat.  It seems like he is a slow starter, last year he didn't get going till mid season, and this year he is following that script.  But he is doing it against a much tougher set of opponents... now that he is basically the #1 center.  There is only one thing which I wish Bo and the Coaching staff would work on a little more... for most of the season he has tended to go a little too easy on his opponents on the forecheck, a lot of times he seems to ease up at the last moment, even when he could deliver a shoulder to shoulder check.  He sorta glides in and puts his arms around them, instead of bracing and shifting his weight into the hit.  But the last two games he is been more physical.

I'd also really like to see the coaches work with the young guys on trying to be a little more creative offensively.  Right now they tend to play their positions... straight up and down the wing.  There is very little criss crossing when they go through center ice or when they enter the zone.  So they tend to be a little predictable.  Bo has the standard move of accelerating and trying to get past on the wing, and then go around the net... if he would try a cut into the center once and and while it would keep the opposing defense guessing a little more.  The lines need to work on their timing and coordination on crossing the blue line more so the puck carrier can make a move without putting everyone offside.

It would be great if this current line of Horvat, Baertschi and Vrbata could stay together for a while so they can develop more of the chemistry which is obviously there.

Maybe this season is not going to be one of the record setters for Canuck's fans, but at least we can enjoy watching the core of a new team form.  B)

It's been a heck of a season, but it's been fun seeing the rookies. It's a nice change compared to having a bunch of older guys play all the time, so I like the whole youth movement thing. McCann looks great as well as Hutton. Virt should benefit a lot from the WJs and the other guys are gradually making progress, too. I've liked how Baer has played in the past few games. To me he was kind of invisible for some time, but now he has started to make noticeable plays and it's paying off for him. Some people are disappointed that guys like Bo aren't doing as well as they wanted them to, but they're still rookies, so give them a few years and eventually they'll become awesome players that could carry the team forward when the time comes. We are still rebuilding, but once we've got a solid team going then we probably won't have to worry about the games as much anymore because we will have many good players. :)

It's nice to see the young players finally realizing that with a depleted roster the onus is on them to pick up their socks and start producing. I've seen good things the past couple games from guys like Horvat, McCann, and Sven. Maybe they get the fact that IF the Canucks land Matthews with the 1st overall that could make some of these guys expendable ;)

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Maybe we were hoping for a repeat or better of last season, with the new guys and the vets integrating seamlessly into a renewed Canuck team which could actually contend.

But shyte happens, and the team is playing short of some key personel.  And the young guys are really up against it.

The good news is I believe I detect signs the youngsters are responding.  It seems in the last couple games, they have stopped waiting for the Sedins and the rest of the vets to bail them out, (no Henrik to do it anyway :( ) and have realized they have to take the bull by the horns and determine the outcome of games by themselves.

While I don't expect the rest of the season to turn around and the Canucks to suddenly become a top echelon team, what is happening bodes well for the future.

Guys like Horvat, McCann and Baertschi are staking their places as leaders in the Canucks of the future.

I am especially happy with Horvat.  It seems like he is a slow starter, last year he didn't get going till mid season, and this year he is following that script.  But he is doing it against a much tougher set of opponents... now that he is basically the #1 center.  There is only one thing which I wish Bo and the Coaching staff would work on a little more... for most of the season he has tended to go a little too easy on his opponents on the forecheck, a lot of times he seems to ease up at the last moment, even when he could deliver a shoulder to shoulder check.  He sorta glides in and puts his arms around them, instead of bracing and shifting his weight into the hit.  But the last two games he is been more physical.

I'd also really like to see the coaches work with the young guys on trying to be a little more creative offensively.  Right now they tend to play their positions... straight up and down the wing.  There is very little criss crossing when they go through center ice or when they enter the zone.  So they tend to be a little predictable.  Bo has the standard move of accelerating and trying to get past on the wing, and then go around the net... if he would try a cut into the center once and and while it would keep the opposing defense guessing a little more.  The lines need to work on their timing and coordination on crossing the blue line more so the puck carrier can make a move without putting everyone offside.

It would be great if this current line of Horvat, Baertschi and Vrbata could stay together for a while so they can develop more of the chemistry which is obviously there.

Maybe this season is not going to be one of the record setters for Canuck's fans, but at least we can enjoy watching the core of a new team form.  B)

You could call that  the Christopher Huggins Forecheck Strategy.  Seems to be embraced by WD, pardon the pun

9 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

...or maybe Horvat, McCann and Baertschi have broken out of the slumps they've been in for most of the season...or maybe it has taken these three guys 3/8th of the season to find/re-discover how to be successful in the NHL...or maybe they're playing better because Willie's been forced to play and rely on them because of injuries...

Though the way the kids have elevated their game lately and have produced (which is all a welcomed sight), until they do it consistently and over a long period of time, their "emergence" may be premature.  

One thing is for sure, as the kids show that they can compete at the NHL level on a consistent basis, it will make it easier to get rid of old slugs like Higgins and Burrows.  

8 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

...or maybe Horvat, McCann and Baertschi have broken out of the slumps they've been in for most of the season...or maybe it has taken these three guys 3/8th of the season to find/re-discover how to be successful in the NHL...or maybe they're playing better because Willie's been forced to play and rely on them because of injuries...

Though the way the kids have elevated their game lately and have produced (which is all a welcomed sight), until they do it consistently and over a long period of time, their "emergence" may be premature.  

One thing is for sure, as the kids show that they can compete at the NHL level on a consistent basis, it will make it easier to get rid of old slugs like Higgins and Burrows.  

I remember Stamkos wasn't putting up points until halfway through his first season. Sometimes, even the best of players need their time to figure it out.

One thing I've noticed happen, especially with Baertschi: the growing process hasn't been sudden. He's actually gradually been getting better and better, which I think is a good sign. That being said, Baertschi also strikes me as a streaky forward and may very well have his good times and his slow times, which I think is fine as long as he continues to develop his defensive game, as he has been. His talent is pretty evident and, so far, it's looking like it may actually pay off. As long as we have the patience for his, I can see him continue to get better and better.

Archived