The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] F Jonathan Drouin Requests Trade from TBL

Gstank29

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

15 mill cap space next year. Take out 10+ mill to replace Hamhuis and Vrbata, that's a top 4 Dman and a top 6 forwards.

You're not adding to the current roster with all the money coming available, you'll be replacing some of it with similar players as those that won't be here. 

Vrbata and Hamhuis are not the players they were last season, so we should be improving with some good signings in both those spots by getting younger.

So you replace a top 4 defenceman and a top 6 forward (hopefully younger and faster), and still have 5 million to go out and get either another top 4 or top 6 player. Add in a young player like Drouin who could surprise a top 6 role and we're a better team.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Vrbata and Hamhuis are not the players they were last season, so we should be improving with some good signings in both those spots by getting younger.

So you replace a top 4 defenceman and a top 6 forward (hopefully younger and faster), and still have 5 million to go out and get either another top 4 or top 6 player. Add in a young player like Drouin who could surprise a top 6 role and we're a better team.

OK, let me know when news breaks that JB traded next year's 1st rounder without being top 10 protected. 

And I'd love to know the names of these younger faster top 4 Dman and top 6 forward we're gonna sign for 5 mill each. So go ahead and provide the names of these players.

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

15 mill cap space next year. Take out 10+ mill to replace Hamhuis and Vrbata, that's a top 4 Dman and a top 6 forwards.

You're not adding to the current roster with all the money coming available, you'll be replacing some of it with similar players as those that won't be here. 

you can not replace both hamhuis and vrbata for 10 million

those are prices from 2 years ago

it will take a minimum 12 mill to replace those players with players who presently play like vrbata played last year and hamhuis was playing a couple of years ago

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

OK, let me know when news breaks that JB traded next year's 1st rounder without being top 10 protected. 

And I'd love to know the names of these younger faster top 4 Dman and top 6 forward we're gonna sign for 5 mill each. So go ahead and provide the names of these players.

Tyson Barrie and Kris Russel could very likely be available.

Andrew Ladd for around that price as well.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Tyson Barrie and Kris Russel could very likely be available.

Andrew Ladd for around that price as well.

Tyson Barrie is RFA at the end of the season, so NO U CAN'T JUST SIGN HIM. He'll be asking for much more than $5 mill. JB isn't going to offer sheet a player and if he did COL matches just like they did with O'reilly and Calgary. 

https://www.hockeyscap.com/teams/avalanche

Kris Russell is a 5'10  170 lbs Dman who has 2 goals and 10 assists. He was waived by St Louis and no one claimed him at 26.  Are you kidding, this is the guy who's going to put us over the top and be our top 4 Dman?

Ladd is asking for $41 million over 6 years from his current team where he's the Captain, That's $6.8 mill per year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets-andrew-ladd-dustin-byfuglien-jacob-trouba-free-agents-asking-term-million/

Let's get realistic here man. 

29 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you can not replace both hamhuis and vrbata for 10 million

those are prices from 2 years ago

it will take a minimum 12 mill to replace those players with players who presently play like vrbata played last year and hamhuis was playing a couple of years ago

Yes, finally some sanity on these boards. Thank you.

People keep bringing up this cap money in the summer that's going to bring us high end talent. They don't recognise that the reason this cap is available is because of expiring contracts, you'll need to bring in similar players as those you're losing and that'll take majority of this cap space. 

$10+ mill will be gone just to replace Hamhuis and Vrbata. Then you'll need to replace or re sign 3 depth  Dmen in Bart, Weber and Biega and 4th liners like Prust. You also have to resign 3 RFA forwards.

All this money is going to be coming from this $15 million cap space that's supposedly making us a contender next year.

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Tyson Barrie is RFA at the end of the season, so NO U CAN'T JUST SIGN HIM. He'll be asking for much more than $5 mill. JB isn't going to offer sheet a player and if he did COL matches just like they did with O'reilly and Calgary. 

Kris Russell is a 5'10  170 lbs Dman who has 2 goals and 10 assists. He was waived by St Louis and no one claimed him at 26.  Are you kidding, this is the guy who's going to put us over the top and be our top 4 Dman?

Ladd is asking for $41 million over 6 years from his current team where he's the Captain, That's $6.8 mill per year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets-andrew-ladd-dustin-byfuglien-jacob-trouba-free-agents-asking-term-million/

I said "are available" meaning they can be acquired. Barrie's name has been thrown around for awhile. We would need to trade for him 

Yes, he's an RFA, meaning he will get less than he would on the open market. Around 5-6 mil is likely.

Russell puts up 30 points and is one of the top shot blockers in the league. A former Desjardins player similar to Tanev and Hamhuis. So yes he would be a valuable addition. Sounds like you don't know much about him.

Ladd is asking for 41 million from Winnipeg because that's the only reason he would stay there. It's been no secret players are not happy playing there. No team gives him 7 mil though. He would probably come play for his hometown team for between 5 and 6 mil. That's what he's worth.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I said "are available" meaning they can be acquired. Barrie's name has been thrown around for awhile. We would need to trade for him 

Yes, he's an RFA, meaning he will get less than he would on the open market. Around 5-6 mil is likely.

Russell puts up 30 points and is one of the top shot blockers in the league. A former Desjardins player similar to Tanev and Hamhuis. So yes he would be a valuable addition. Sounds like you don't know much about him.

Ladd is asking for 41 million from Winnipeg because that's the only reason he would stay there. It's been no secret players are not happy playing there. No team gives him 7 mil though. He would probably come play for his hometown team for between 5 and 6 mil. That's what he's worth.

Ok trade for Tyson Barrie, who's going the other way, Tanev and Virtanen?

Russell put up 30 points once in his career. 

Talk about making assumptions, Ladd is going to leave almost 10mil on the table over 6 or 7 years to come play for the Canucks lol. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Talk about making assumptions, Ladd is going to leave almost 10mil on the table over 6 or 7 years to come play for the Canucks lol. 

Don't know who would be going the other way. That would be up to Sakic and Benning. If Benning has kicked the tires on Hamonic I'm sure he'll do the same on Barrie.

Russell put up 29 points in 69 games, give me a break. On pace for 24 or higher this season.

Ladd isn't leaving anything on the table...That's what he's asking for not what Winnipeg is offering him. You realize there's a difference right?

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I thought we were trying to get younger, faster, tougher, and more skilled during this rebuild?  Shouldn't big dollar and big minute guys we bring in tick those boxes?

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Don't know who would be going the other way. That would be up to Sakic and Benning. If Benning has kicked the tires on Hamonic I'm sure he'll do the same on Barrie.

Russell put up 29 points in 69 games, give me a break. On pace for 24 or higher this season.

Ladd isn't leaving anything on the table...That's what he's asking for not what Winnipeg is offering him. You realize there's a difference right?

Here's a nice article on "THE INCREDIBLY OVERRATED KRIS RUSSELL" from a couple of months ago. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/the-incredibly-overrated-kris-russell/

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Here's a nice article on "THE INCREDIBLY OVERRATED KRIS RUSSELL" from a couple of months ago. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/the-incredibly-overrated-kris-russell/

People can use those stats to twist a players value any way they want. There's alot more complexities to it than those simple numbers.

Ehrhoff and Sbisa were terrible too according to some fans. Yet our D was much weaker without them in the lineup. Funny how that can happen.

People think they're smarter than GMs by reading numbers rather than watching players play. Numbers rarely tell the whole story.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People can use those stats to twist a players value any way they want. There's alot more complexities to it than those simple numbers.

Ehrhoff and Sbisa were terrible too according to some fans. Yet our D was much weaker without them in the lineup. Funny how that can happen.

People think they're smarter than GMs by reading numbers rather than watching players play. Numbers rarely tell the whole story.

Yeah, either way, I'm not really interested in a 5'10 170lbs Dman who has 2 goals at half way point of season.

Hope JB isn't either. Canucks need to get bigger on Defense, not smaller. I'd guess they're already the smallest D in the NHL. 

50 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Sami Vatenen is headed to free agency. It'd likely take something like Vrbata + a 1st to land him but given Anaheim's scoring troubles, it could be a deal they'd consider. Don't think they'd even listen to anything less. Although he's not very big either but he is a RHD who can put pucks in net aND mI've the puck. Decent pairing for Sbisa.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I thought we were trying to get younger, faster, tougher, and more skilled during this rebuild?  Shouldn't big dollar and big minute guys we bring in tick those boxes?

Yes they should, easier said than done though. 

Players hit UFA when they're in their later 20's, most of the top tier guys get resigned, especially now with the CBA giving advantage to re signing over going UFA. (8 years vs 7 years contract length).

It's not easy getting top tier UFA in the NHL. IF you do manage to sign a big ticket UFA you almost always over pay. 

15 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Sami Vatenen is headed to free agency. It'd likely take something like Vrbata + a 1st to land him but given Anaheim's scoring troubles, it could be a deal they'd consider. Don't think they'd even listen to anything less. Although he's not very big either but he is a RHD who can put pucks in net aND mI've the puck. Decent pairing for Sbisa.

Interesting. Have you heard anything about him being potentially traded? I haven't heard anything about his future in ANA. He's puts up very good numbers and is better than Tyson Barrie on the D side. I like his game. 

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yeah, either way, I'm not really interested in a 5'10 170lbs Dman who has 2 goals at half way point of season.

Hope JB isn't either. Canucks need to get bigger on Defense, not smaller. I'd guess they're already the smallest D in the NHL. 

The top shot blocker in the league that every announcer praised in last years playoffs? Yea, no we don't need more shots blocked. I'm sure our goalies won't get worn out facing 45+ shots a game or anything.

Edler is 6'3" and plays as soft as Charmin. We need our D to have mobility and play well in their own zone before anything. Russell checks those boxes.

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Interesting. Have you heard anything about him being potentially traded? I haven't heard anything about his future in ANA. He's puts up very good numbers and is better than Tyson Barrie on the D side. I like his game. 

There's rumours that Anaheim has enough D prospects that he could be replaced from within. Haven't heard anything about him being shopped specifically. Just that they may be listening to offers

Archived