The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] F Jonathan Drouin Requests Trade from TBL

Gstank29

25 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

i could See JB offering up Shinkaruk+ for drouin. 

Tampa would be more familiar with Shinkaruk than most teams since Utica plays Syracuse so much.

I would also say Shinkaruk's value is the highest it's ever been. He's having a great season and was invited to the all-star game.

The question is do we wanna trade a player who has done nothing but improve and seems to have a great attitude? Sometimes it's not just about skill.

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tampa would be more familiar with Shinkaruk than most teams since Utica plays Syracuse so much.

I would also say Shinkaruk's value is the highest it's ever been. He's having a great season and was invited to the all-star game.

The question is do we wanna trade a player who has done nothing but improve and seems to have a great attitude? Sometimes it's not just about skill.

I would be pissed if shink was traded. Even for a guy like drouin. There's other options.

1 minute ago, Frazzy Desjardins said:

I would be pissed if shink was traded. Even for a guy like drouin. There's other options.

If we were to trade Shinkaruk, it should be for a young defenseman like Theodore or Juulsen.

Or even packaged together at the draft to move up and take a guy like Chychrun or Juolevi.

Just now, DeNiro said:

If we were to trade Shinkaruk, it should be for a young defenseman like Theodore or Juulsen.

Or even packaged together at the draft to move up and take a guy like Chychrun or Juolevi.

Ya that's OK.  For a D I understand but no more forwards. If Vey continues on the upswing and him and Etem continue to grow chemistry I think I'd be more inclined to trade McCann than Shink. And he would have more value.

10 minutes ago, Frazzy Desjardins said:

Ya that's OK.  For a D I understand but no more forwards. If Vey continues on the upswing and him and Etem continue to grow chemistry I think I'd be more inclined to trade McCann than Shink. And he would have more value.

No chance we trade McCann. We don't have the center depth to justify it unless we draft another center.

Vey has definitely improved, but I don't see him being a top 6 forward. McCann has the potential to be a first or second line center someday IMO. He just needs to bulk up in the next few years.

I still think the bar is a roster player + pick(or prospect) for a player like Drouin. 

I'd do Shinkaruk + Vrbata. Vrbata helps them produce and contend this year, while Shinkaruk replaces the LW scoring prospect they would have lost.  I wouldn't go much further than that.

If we're going by this Grosso guy on Twitter, then the Fabbri/Shattenkirk or Vatanen packages would be a lot more appealing. I'm scared that JB might go over the top on this one. 

12 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I still think the bar is a roster player + pick(or prospect) for a player like Drouin. 

I'd do Shinkaruk + Vrbata. Vrbata helps them produce and contend this year, while Shinkaruk replaces the LW scoring prospect they would have lost.  I wouldn't go much further than that.

If we're going by this Grosso guy on Twitter, then the Fabbri/Shattenkirk or Vatanen packages would be a lot more appealing. I'm scared that JB might go over the top on this one. 

The funny thing is, if Shinkaruk was a top 10 pick that year most people probably wouldn't do a one for one right now.

It's the hype of being a top 3 pick that is inflating his value. He put up big points on a stacked junior team, and produced on a stacked Lightning team last season.

Suddenly he's not on such a stacked AHL team and he's not producing that much (albeit a small sample size). Add in him requesting a trade at age 20 and I think teams are dumb to overpay for him at this point.

I could see JB giving up a 1st and a high prospect for Drouin, if it's appealing enough for Tampa.

Similar to the Baertschi trade. Trading picks/prospects for a different prospect who is further along in development. Doing whatever they can to avoid looking like a team that needs full blown re-build.

I'd rather keep the pick and prospect, personally. 

3 minutes ago, KFBR392 said:

I could see JB giving up a 1st and a high prospect for Drouin, if it's appealing enough for Tampa.

Similar to the Baertschi trade. Trading picks/prospects for a different prospect who is further along in development. Doing whatever they can to avoid looking like a team that needs full blown re-build.

I'd rather keep the pick and prospect, personally. 

If the pick was conditional on it not being a top 10 pick this year (2017 if it is), and the prospect was not one of our top prospects then yes.

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Shinkaruk + Hamhuis + 3rd round pick for Drouin and Carle (cap dump) at the trade deadline. 

Could be pretty realistic.

I think Yzerman would definitely have interest in a team Canada vet like Hamhuis for their run.

Shinkaruk and a 3rd is more than fair value for an under performing top prospect.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If the pick was conditional on it not being a top 10 pick this year (2017 if it is), and the prospect was not one of our top prospects then yes.

I'd do that deal as well.

But I think they'd probably want a top prospect and an unconditional 1st at least from us. We probably couldn't, and shouldn't, be able to compete with some much better offers that tb will probably get. I don't think we have the prospect depth, and shouldn't be getting rid of 1st round picks, on a somewhat underachieving top 5 pick who may have attitude problems.

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick. Canucks will be picking top 10 for the next few years. You don't give that up for Drouin, what if it's a top 5 in 2017, then you have a Phil Kessel situation. Never take that risk. This team will get worse before it gets better. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick. Canucks will be picking top 10 for the next few years. You don't give that up for Drouin, what if it's a top 5 in 2017, then you have a Phil Kessel situation. Never take that risk. This team will get worse before it gets better. 

It's a risk for sure. I've heard this draft will be fairly deep though.

No guarantees that we'll get a player better than Drouin in 2017 even with a top 5 pick.

We had a top 6 pick last draft and it didn't get us a player better than Drouin IMO.

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

yes to vrbata for theadore.

waive or trade burrows and miller for whatever we can get

edler needs to be moved - maybe trade him to WPG for their 1st bc they are about to lose Byfuglien. still hoping for Edler + to NYI for Hamonic and Barzal.

I really dont think we need drouin

You're not getting Theodore for Vrbata.

Edler's not going to waive his NTC to move to Winterpeg. 

We do need more 20 year old young forwards with top 6 potential. 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's a risk for sure. I've heard this draft will be fairly deep though.

No guarantees that we'll get a player better than Drouin in 2017 even with a top 5 pick.

We had a top 6 pick last draft and it didn't get us a player better than Drouin IMO.

I don't think any NHL GM would give up a top 5 pick for Drouin, including Steve Y. He made a mistake to draft him at 3 spot and he knows it. 

It remains to be seen if Virtanen ends up being better than Drouin,but I wouldn't give up a top 10 pick for Drouin, I don't see JB doing it either. IF he was a deal would have been done by now. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I don't think any NHL GM would give up a top 5 pick for Drouin, including Steve Y. He made a mistake to draft him at 3 spot and he knows it. 

It remains to be seen if Virtanen ends up being better than Drouin,but I wouldn't give up a top 10 pick for Drouin, I don't see JB doing it either. IF he was a deal would have been done by now. 

You're assuming it's going to be a top 10 pick though, Benning won't be. Especially if he has plans to beef up the roster in the summer.

Archived