The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] F Jonathan Drouin Requests Trade from TBL

Gstank29

Drouin lit it up in his first ahl game, since then I think he has played 5 other games and only recording 1a. I realize he probably doesnt have the talent around him to produce more, or maybe he is just not putting in a full effort and this is a small sample of games.

But I would only think buy low, if Yzerman is wanting a top 4 current nhl roster d man for him I think he is dreaming, that would mean a team is giving up an established player for a young recent top 3 pick who has asked for a trade and is underperforming. 

As it sits right now, we have been developing prospects in Utica nicely and have 1 who is near PPG and probably needs a top 6 role in the NHL and that is Shinkaruk. I really like his game, and would rather keep him and see what he can do with a larger sample of games with the Canucks to see if he can make that jump.

I am not against getting Drouin but I would want to keep Shinkaruk. I know Edler is the best D we have value wise and holds a ntc, but I wonder if Yzerman would add to Drouin to get him? 

37 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

How long till Steve Yzerman gets fired? 

Not drafting Seth Jones and losing Stamkos to free agency. 

Also, what's considered equal value for Drouin? His value is an all time low and is just potential at this point.  He should consider himself lucky to net a second round pick. 

I don't really agree with anything here.

Drouin was a great pick at the time. Looked like he could be the best player in the draft. Be like trying to fire benning for picking virtanen over larkin. 

Drouin will fetch more than a second round pick any day of the week. Don't forget all draft picks are are potential too.

Last time I checked stamkos is still on the lightning roster and trade deadline hasn't passed. 

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

Drouin lit it up in his first ahl game, since then I think he has played 5 other games and only recording 1a. I realize he probably doesnt have the talent around him to produce more, or maybe he is just not putting in a full effort and this is a small sample of games.

But I would only think buy low, if Yzerman is wanting a top 4 current nhl roster d man for him I think he is dreaming, that would mean a team is giving up an established player for a young recent top 3 pick who has asked for a trade and is underperforming. 

As it sits right now, we have been developing prospects in Utica nicely and have 1 who is near PPG and probably needs a top 6 role in the NHL and that is Shinkaruk. I really like his game, and would rather keep him and see what he can do with a larger sample of games with the Canucks to see if he can make that jump.

I am not against getting Drouin but I would want to keep Shinkaruk. I know Edler is the best D we have value wise and holds a ntc, but I wonder if Yzerman would add to Drouin to get him? 

To me giving up multiple youth prospects to acquire Drouin is more risk than the Canucks can afford to take. Drouin has not proven anything at the NHL level and his cache is simply where he was drafted. His red flags combined with Vancouver's poor prospect depth make it a none starter.

I prefer a strategy of moving vets out for prospects and picks and going into the 2016 draft with a sack full of long term opportunity. It is likely Van drafts in the #8 to #10 area and if warranted Benning can trade up for a 1C or 1D draft pick.

18 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Jonathan Drouin got 2 goals in the 1st AHL period he played,

He now has 1 assist in the last 20 AHL periods he's played. 

I'm not too concerned about his initial ahl production, it's a different game that kinda kills the skill. Shink didn't start racking up the points until he figured out how to play the sloppier ahl game. 

2 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

No Jonathan Drouin in the lineup for Syracuse tonight against Toronto.

Gotta think that either a recall is coming, or a deal is close enough that they pulled him.

As it stands right now, his play in the AHL isn't exactly helping his value.

On January 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM, thad said:

I'm not too concerned about his initial ahl production, it's a different game that kinda kills the skill. Shink didn't start racking up the points until he figured out how to play the sloppier ahl game. 

Shink also didn't whine though that he wasn't getting enough ice time. Drouin's done nothing to back up his trade request. 

2 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Shink also didn't whine though that he wasn't getting enough ice time. Drouin's done nothing to back up his trade request. 

That's the thing. If he wants a trade he's gotta prove that he's valuable enough for a team to trade for.

If Yzerman is asking for guys like Dumba or McCann, good luck. You've got a 20 year old disgruntled player who isn't even dominating at the AHL level like a should be. 

Kerby Rychel is looking like a more appealing player than Drouin right now.

4 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Lightning announce Drouin has been suspended without pay for not showing up to the AHL game tonight

lmao....Stevie Y, this ain't Detroit so stop trying to copy the model. No every prospect has to be 23 before he makes the NHL. Good luck with Drouin and Stamkos :P 

Ouch. I did not see that coming...

His value just plummeted. It's one thing to ask for a trade on an entry level contract, it's a whole other thing to not report for games.

Yzerman should have taken any offer he could and run. I have a feeling teams will be lowering their offers a bit after this. This guy has headcase written all over him.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ouch. I did not see that coming...

His value just plummeted. It's one thing to ask for a trade on an entry level contract, it's a whole other thing to not report for games.

Yzerman should have taken any offer he could and run. I have a feeling teams will be lowering their offers a bit after this. This guy has headcase written all over him.

ibet there are a significant amount of GMs who don't want him anywhere near their team after this.

Archived