The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] New Kopitar Deal Will Be 8 yr, $80 Mill

Visp

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

hearsay,  anyways geez I'm gonna have to league compare to see what 7 mil can get you , cause I think you can get more than 20 goals for 7 mil

He might be flexible if the term is longer. If it happens, which is far more likely now than yesterday, Lucic will sign for 6 years at $6 M.

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

He's worth it in today's NHL if your farm system is capable of routinely providing quality players in low end contracts. That's the key, in my mind. LA can do it. Mark Yanetti keeps finding guys  

And Stamkos is getting max money, in case anyone was wondering. That'll be $12+ Mil...he puts butts in the seats. Someonr will pay it. 

Yzerman must be sweating right now, and Stamkos must be smiling.

I remember looking before and King's had something like 15 million of cap for next season. But out of that Kopitar, Schenn, and Lucic were the big notables who'd be seeking raises. Boston is retaining half of Lucic right now so with Kopitar signing for 10, I doubt Lucic stays in LA. Unless of course he signs for something small like 3.5 aav but I can't see that. If they hope to keep him, they're gonna need to move out someone else. I'll bet Benning has his eyes all over this one.

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

ya he does have that, I would say even more so then dorset as well.

He's like Prust and Dorsett combined. He'd have a vested interest in keeping his teammates safe, unlike Prust who's a buck passing, slow as mud, overrated grinder.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Ignoring that you're clearly joking...

We actually don't (yet anyway). He's a UFA this summer.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, I guess Weber may just have to test the free agency market and see what offers come his way.

1 minute ago, Boddy604 said:

We do have Fedun though. He's a RHD that's putting up a respectable amount of points. He's like a big Weber who isn't awful.

NO!  NO!  We do NOT let Weber walk away!  NO!  He does NOT get to test free agency!  OKAY?!

37 minutes ago, theminister said:

He's worth it in today's NHL if your farm system is capable of routinely providing quality players on low end contracts. That's the key, in my mind. LA can do it. Mark Yanetti keeps finding guys  

And Stamkos is getting max money, in case anyone was wondering. That'll be $12+ Mil...he puts butts in the seats. Someone will pay it. 

Not saying it's right in general, but you're right. Even if it seems like too much for me (in this case and for Stamkos) it's what being paid out there. It doesn't look like it's going to get more reasonable any time soon either.

1 minute ago, Filthy McNasty said:

We have lots of money still to spend on D, even if we max our cap, when the sedins retire we have room to resign our rookies, besides we have weber

You'll be spending damn near $20m on Lucic/Stam...that doesn't leave a lot of money to upgrade the D that REALLY needs upgrading.

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Still due for a healthy raise. He is mvp on a tanking team.

Realistically, I think the Canucks only need 1 top 4 d man. Preferably a RH shot. Right now they have Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Biega, and Sbisa who likely all make the team next year. If they decide to stick with that Bartkowski-Biega pairing, we might even be going into next season with the same group. Without Bartkowski, Nucks will need a RHD who can score and play physical. That's a tall order. 

Archived