The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Taylor Fedun Talk (new)

SilentSam

Can't find an original thread here for Taylor Fedun,. Just called up. Hope we get a look.. Good luck Taylor!

Vancouver, BC – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has recalled defenceman Taylor Fedun from the AHL Utica Comets.

Fedun, 27, has appeared in 24 games for the Comets this season, ranking third among defencemen in scoring with 11 points (4-7-11). He also leads the team in plus/minus (+7) and is second in power play goals (4). The 6’0”, 200-pound defenceman was with the Canucks earlier this season on a recall (Nov. 21-23) but did not see game action during that period.

The Edmonton, Alberta native has appeared in 11 career NHL games with the San Jose Sharks and Edmonton Oilers, posting six points (2-4-6) and four penalty minutes. 

Fedun signed with the Canucks on July 1, 2015 as a free agent.

2 hours ago, suitup said:

Not to be mean and I really dislike it when people say that so-and-so isn't a prospect, but this guy is 27 years old...

2 hours ago, suitup said:

Not to be mean and I really dislike it when people say that so-and-so isn't a prospect, but this guy is 27 years old...

As is Bartkowski. I doubt they are in the long term plans.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one situation I find hard to read.

I haven't seen much of Fedun but looking at his stats, he doesn't seem to be a bad option to give a real shot to. In 12 NHL games he's produced 7 pnts. That's a pace of 48-50 pnts in a full season. There's got to be a knock on his play somewhere. He doesn't look like a defensive liability. Can someone fill me in?

4 minutes ago, Kraken70 said:

This is one situation I find hard to read.

I haven't seen much of Fedun but looking at his stats, he doesn't seem to be a bad option to give a real shot to. In 12 NHL games he's produced 7 pnts. That's a pace of 48-50 pnts in a full season. There's got to be a knock on his play somewhere. Can someone fill me in?

like weber hes soft and not really good defensively. As anyone can see form his AHL stats he isn't really that gifted offensively, appears to be more lucky than gifted.

1 hour ago, hockeyking said:

like weber hes soft and not really good defensively. As anyone can see form his AHL stats he isn't really that gifted offensively, appears to be more lucky than gifted.

I looked at his stats in the AHL. He's a career +29 with 112 points in 230 games. In the AHL he looks like a pretty solid performer for them. I don't know about his physical game, but on paper, he looks to be a significant upgrade on Weber. 

45 minutes ago, Kraken70 said:

I looked at his stats in the AHL. He's a career +29 with 112 points in 230 games. In the AHL he looks like a pretty solid performer for them. I don't know about his physical game, but on paper, he looks to be a significant upgrade on Weber. 

You've cited scoring stats to say Fedun looks on paper to be a significant upgrade on Weber.

Firstly, of course, the scoring stats line isn't going to mean much.  It doesn't say much about how a player is defensively.  An AHL +/- is even less meangingful imo than an NHL +/- and that doesn't mean much.

Secondly, why do Fedun's 112 pts in 230 AHL games (0.487 ppg) make him look on paper to be a significant upgrade over someone with 51 pts in 87 AHL games (0.586 ppg)?

Note for those that don't understand:  I'm not here suggesting that Weber is or isn't better than Fedun.  My point is that the conclusion Kraken made doesn't follow from AHL scoring stats, which is what he used.  I'm criticizing the argument used, not whether the conclusion did or didn't happen to actually be correct.

1 minute ago, tyhee said:

You've cited scoring stats to say Fedun looks on paper to be a significant upgrade on Weber.

Firstly, of course, the scoring stats line isn't going to mean much.  It doesn't say much about how a player is defensively.  An AHL +/- is even less meangingful imo than an NHL +/- and that doesn't mean much.

Secondly, why do Fedun's 112 pts in 230 AHL games (0.487 ppg) make him look on paper to be a significant upgrade over someone with 51 pts in 87 AHL games (0.586 ppg)?

Note for those that don't understand:  I'm not here suggesting that Weber is or isn't better than Fedun.  My point is that the conclusion Kraken made doesn't follow from AHL scoring stats, which is what he used.  I'm criticizing the argument used, not whether the conclusion did or didn't happen to actually be correct.

The difference is that we already know Weber is failing at the NHL level and has faded into obscurity having, seemingly, lost his purpose here. We don't know what Fedun can do until he gets a chance. 

Note for those that don't understand. I'm not here suggesting that Fedun is or isn't better than Weber. He may well flounder too; but we'll never know until he gets a real chance. Taking that chance on Fedun over a plummeting Weber, seems a better option than watching Weber continue making mistakes and costing the team.

1 hour ago, Kraken70 said:

The difference is that we already know Weber is failing at the NHL level and has faded into obscurity having, seemingly, lost his purpose here. We don't know what Fedun can do until he gets a chance. 

The point you raise now would be a fair enough point in an argument about which of Weber and Fedun is the better one to take a chance on, but but it doesn't alter my point that the facts in the earlier post didn't support the conclusion in the earlier post.

As far as being practical is concerned, though, I agree with you.  The Canucks aren't likely keeping Weber and might still want to take a further look at Fedun.

My point is; Why not give him a real shot? He's produced something positive in the few games he's played. Give him to the end of the regular season to really find out if he's got NHL caliber stuff. If not, JB has no issue cutting his losses and letting him go. 

Right now, we're 5 pnts out of a playoff spot. It won't hurt anything to give him a shot. Who knows? Maybe he turns out to be something no one saw. JB is known for finding these players. I didn't see much in Baertschi when he first arrived but has since begun to show real promise. Maybe there might be something to Fedun as well.

Like I've said in other posts. I'm always for promoting from within if it's feesable.

1 hour ago, Kraken70 said:

My point is; Why not give him a real shot? He's produced something positive in the few games he's played. Give him to the end of the regular season to really find out if he's got NHL caliber stuff. If not, JB has no issue cutting his losses and letting him go. 

Right now, we're 5 pnts out of a playoff spot. It won't hurt anything to give him a shot. Who knows? Maybe he turns out to be something no one saw. JB is known for finding these players. I didn't see much in Baertschi when he first arrived but has since begun to show real promise. Maybe there might be something to Fedun as well.

Like I've said in other posts. I'm always for promoting from within if it's feesable.

Unfortunately, now that our defencemen are getting healthy again, there's simply not much space to experiment (anymore).

The best course of action for Fedun is to perform well the rest of the Utica season, and impress the staff next off-season. There will probably be some available spots then. But guys like Tryamkin and Pedan are getting close, so it'll be a real dogfight for those last couple of spots.

Archived