The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Canada's Greatest Athlete

cabinessence

14 hours ago, John Tortorella said:

Without being rude and saying phew, i thought gretzky had passed. 

I wouldn't say that's necessarily being rude, but it does beg the question. Like once when Bob Costas was paying tribute to the late great Dan Kelly "...whoever is second,is closer to third,fourth, fifth, or sixth..."That could be said about how great an athlete Mike Sharpe was. Now, who is going to take that place? Who could be called Canada's greatest athlete? Lanny Poffo, Lori Fung? Steve Fonyo?Robb Wells (floor hockey)?

We all agree on who is Canad's greatest rock and  roll, band, but who is Canada's new greatest athlete?

16 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

I wouldn't say that's necessarily being rude, but it does beg the question. Like once when Bob Costas was paying tribute to the late great Dan Kelly "...whoever is second,is closer to third,fourth, fifth, or sixth..."That could be said about how great an athlete Mike Sharpe was. Now, who is going to take that place? Who could be called Canada's greatest athlete? Lanny Poffo, Lori Fung? Steve Fonyo?Robb Wells (floor hockey)?

We all agree on who is Canad's greatest rock and  roll, band, but who is Canada's new greatest athlete?

I very much doubt that everyone agrees on which band is the greatest.

Wrestling is not fake!!!!!! I had friends who thought it was real. Funny stuff.

Due to so many people talking about the band we all love, the powers that be on this site have asked me (and likely hundreds others) not to bring them up (we need to diversify the topics and not just keep praising the same band). Let's just say a three piece outta Calgary. The biggest question was why they didn't get chosen for the Canucks goal song. Likely the reason is, the team went to using individual goal songs and they didn't want to be potentially playing 18 different songs by the same band. 

2 hours ago, cabinessence said:

Due to so many people talking about the band we all love, the powers that be on this site have asked me (and likely hundreds others) not to bring them up (we need to diversify the topics and not just keep praising the same band). Let's just say a three piece outta Calgary. The biggest question was why they didn't get chosen for the Canucks goal song. Likely the reason is, the team went to using individual goal songs and they didn't want to be potentially playing 18 different songs by the same band. 

Perhaps it is because the mods prefer a more horrible Toronto based trio.

I can't consider a wrastler to be our greatest athlete.

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Perhaps it is because the mods prefer a more horrible Toronto based trio.

I can't consider a wrastler to be our greatest athlete.

Well put. Maybe you're in the Lori Fung school of Rhythmic Gymnastics type of fan. Sharpe was quite the athlete nonetheless. Cue Bass Solo.

3 hours ago, cabinessence said:

Come on, mention them. You know you want to.

20 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Well put. Maybe you're in the Lori Fung school of Rhythmic Gymnastics type of fan. Sharpe was quite the athlete nonetheless. Cue Bass Solo.

Just because I don't agree with your choice doesn't automatically make me a Lori Fung school of Rhythmic Gymnastics type of fan. For instance,  I would take someone like Georges St-Pierre in the fighter category.

7 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Loverboy.

Well cabinessence, I tried to "Turn 'You' Loose". I figured you'd "Jump" at the chance and "This Could Be The Night" you mention that "Notorious" band. Then we'd be "Lovin' Every Minute Of It" "When It's Over" but alas we are not "The Lucky Ones". :lol:

Archived