Canucks Community

(Proposal) Trade Deadline Trades - Long Read

TO VAN

NYR 1ST

TO NYR

BURROWS (50% retained)

HIGGINS

PRUST

The Rangers have the cap space and really need to make a serious push in the next couple of years. AV got a lot out of Burrows and Higgins in the 2011 playoffs and could see them being huge for their playoff success. They are also both very good penalty killers and that could be huge for the Rangers in the playoffs. Prust bring them a physical presence and willingness to drop the gloves. The Rangers will most likely pick from 25-30 so it isnt to much of a loss to a team who needs to win now before their window closes. Burrows at 2.25M is a greats aquisition.

TO VAN

THEODORE

TO ANA

VRBATA (50% retained)

HAMHUIS

The Ducks get some much need veteran help to help them out of their current situation. They get a good sniper in in Vrbata and an olympic gold medalist in Hamhuis. Maybe Theodore may be too much but if so i would take a couple picks (2nd, 3rd) or just a 1st. The Ducks have the cap room and are desperate to get to the bog show after a dissappointing defeat coming from the defending champions (the Black Hawks) in 7 games of the western finals last year. 

Now we are in a full rebuild heading into the final half of the season. We already know what we have in the young guys currently on the team (Hutton, McCann, Horvat, Vey, Baertschi, Virtanen, Etem) now lets get some more in to get some NHL experience before we try and turn this rebuild around for next year. This is the team I would ice for the remainder of the season. (excluding Theodore)

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

McCann Sutter Dorsett

Shinkaruk Vey Etem (Willie Tigers)

Cracknell

Edler Tanev

Hutton Sbisa

Biega Bartkowski

Weber

If we make the playoffs, great, but if we dont, even better. If we can get a high pick to add to our already impressive prospect pool that would be nice. The way i see it is we have 2 chances to get a top 10 pick, i dont want to be hoping for one 3 drafts from now, that is when this team should be pushing back towards contender status.

With these moves we should have about 16M in cap space going into FA and thats where we need to speed up this rebuild. Lets say we sign Lucic to a 5 year 5.5M contract with a limited NTC for the first 4 years and byfuglien to a 3 year 7.5M. Instead of going any further lets assume we resign Vey, Baertschi, Etem, Bartkowski, and Biega lets look at next years lineup:

Sedin Sedin Lucic

McCann Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Dorsett

Shinkaruk Vey Etem

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hutton Byfuglien

Biega Bartkowski

Pedan

Tryamkin

Miller 

Markstrom

I think Jake goes to the AHL for a season to better develope his game and Shinkaruk finally gets rewarded. Judging by this team i could see a few trade deadline bait next year for younger players to get a spot. Players that could be on the chopping block are; Hansen, Dorsett, Bartkowski, Biega, and Miller. I another 2-3 years this team will look a lot different. I trust in what Benning is doind and believe we will be contenders again, very soon.

So waiver wire crap for the Rangers 1st, and two pending UFA's (one whose struggled to put up points and the other who hasnt seen the ice in 2 months) for one of The Ducks top prospects. 

Do those really seem like good deals for all teams involved? 

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

So waiver wire crap for the Rangers 1st, and two pending UFA's (one whose struggled to put up points and the other who hasnt seen the ice in 2 months) for one of The Ducks top prospects. 

Do those really seem like good deals for all teams involved? 

Says the guy who attempted to peddle Tom Gilbert for Vrbata lol.  Glass houses qwijibo

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Says the guy who attempted to peddle Tom Gilbert for Vrbata lol.  Glass houses qwijibo

One has nothing to do with the other. Yes I made a proposal that I thought potentially addressed both teams needs but was clearly off base value wise.  No need to throw it out there every time I comment on another proposal. 

Tell me. Do you think these are solid proposals or do you just want to throw something I said months ago back in my face yet again. . One bad proposal on my part doesn't automatically disqualify me from weighing in on others. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

One has nothing to do with the other. Yes I made a proposal that I thought potentially addressed both teams needs but was clearly off base value wise.  No need to throw it out there every time I comment on another proposal. 

Tell me. Do you think these are solid proposals or do you just want to throw something I said months ago back in my face yet again. . One bad proposal on my part doesn't automatically disqualify me from weighing in on others. 

Well qwij - if you must refer to Burrows and Prust as "waiver wire crap", don't be surprised when your own crap is thrown back in your face.  

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Well qwij - if you must refer to Burrows and Prust as "waiver wire crap", don't be surprised when your own crap is thrown back in your face.  

Are you saying Higgin Prust and Burrows are valuable assets that a team should surrender a  considerable chunk of cap space and a 1st round pick for? 

Prust and Burrows my not have hit the waiver wire but their level of play this season certainly isn't in line with their respective cap hits.  I don't think it would be overly surprising to see either of them waived like Higgins was  

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Are you saying Higgin Prust and Burrows are valuable assets that a team should surrender a  considerable chunk of cap space and a 1st round pick for? 

Prust and Burrows my not have hit the waiver wire but their level of play this season certainly isn't in line with their respective cap hits.  I don't think it would be overly surprising to see either of them waived like Higgins was  

Prust is a coming UFA.  His lack of term left on his contract actually adds value.  Burrows, on the other hand, his continuing term makes him have negative value.

1 hour ago, McHortanen said:

TO VAN

NYR 1ST

TO NYR

BURROWS (50% retained)

HIGGINS

PRUST

The Rangers have the cap space and really need to make a serious push in the next couple of years. AV got a lot out of Burrows and Higgins in the 2011 playoffs and could see them being huge for their playoff success. They are also both very good penalty killers and that could be huge for the Rangers in the playoffs. Prust bring them a physical presence and willingness to drop the gloves. The Rangers will most likely pick from 25-30 so it isnt to much of a loss to a team who needs to win now before their window closes. Burrows at 2.25M is a greats aquisition.

TO VAN

THEODORE

TO ANA

VRBATA (50% retained)

HAMHUIS

The Ducks get some much need veteran help to help them out of their current situation. They get a good sniper in in Vrbata and an olympic gold medalist in Hamhuis. Maybe Theodore may be too much but if so i would take a couple picks (2nd, 3rd) or just a 1st. The Ducks have the cap room and are desperate to get to the bog show after a dissappointing defeat coming from the defending champions (the Black Hawks) in 7 games of the western finals last year. 

Now we are in a full rebuild heading into the final half of the season. We already know what we have in the young guys currently on the team (Hutton, McCann, Horvat, Vey, Baertschi, Virtanen, Etem) now lets get some more in to get some NHL experience before we try and turn this rebuild around for next year. This is the team I would ice for the remainder of the season. (excluding Theodore)

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

McCann Sutter Dorsett

Shinkaruk Vey Etem (Willie Tigers)

Cracknell

Edler Tanev

Hutton Sbisa

Biega Bartkowski

Weber

If we make the playoffs, great, but if we dont, even better. If we can get a high pick to add to our already impressive prospect pool that would be nice. The way i see it is we have 2 chances to get a top 10 pick, i dont want to be hoping for one 3 drafts from now, that is when this team should be pushing back towards contender status.

With these moves we should have about 16M in cap space going into FA and thats where we need to speed up this rebuild. Lets say we sign Lucic to a 5 year 5.5M contract with a limited NTC for the first 4 years and byfuglien to a 3 year 7.5M. Instead of going any further lets assume we resign Vey, Baertschi, Etem, Bartkowski, and Biega lets look at next years lineup:

Sedin Sedin Lucic

McCann Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Dorsett

Shinkaruk Vey Etem

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hutton Byfuglien

Biega Bartkowski

Pedan

Tryamkin

Miller 

Markstrom

I think Jake goes to the AHL for a season to better develope his game and Shinkaruk finally gets rewarded. Judging by this team i could see a few trade deadline bait next year for younger players to get a spot. Players that could be on the chopping block are; Hansen, Dorsett, Bartkowski, Biega, and Miller. I another 2-3 years this team will look a lot different. I trust in what Benning is doind and believe we will be contenders again, very soon.

McH.  You seem to have a lot of  time on your hands to go through this exercise.  One thing you have to remember is the other 29 GM's are not stupid and will not be trading to upgrade the Canucks.  So all of the above is just 'wild speculation and / or wishful thinking by you.  None of it will happen.

i agree with the responding posters

wow, talk about over valuing the proposed departing canuck players

i thought nyr had traded all of their 1st round draft picks now till around 2020, so that does not work either

and any thought of getting byfuglien for a short 3 year term in free agency is completely laughable, he is looking for term and to hit a home run, he is likely to sign a contract worth in excess of $50 million and certainly not less than 40 million

so that part of this read is unrealistic as well

2 hours ago, McHortanen said:

TO VAN

NYR 1ST

TO NYR

BURROWS (50% retained)

HIGGINS

PRUST

The Rangers have the cap space ...

Sorry, but imo there would have been almost no chance of making that deal before the season started and absolutely no chance now.

Higgins' play has fallen off a cliff.  He was available for nothing recently and passed through waivers.

Prust's play has fallen off a cliff and with age and having played a physical game during career, there have to be large questions about what he has left both physically and in motivation.

Both of them are left wingers and you're planning to send them to a team that already includes 31 YO Rick Nash, 30 YO Viktor Stallberg and 32 YO Tanner Glass.  An old LW whose play has fallen so far that his future in the NHL is in jeapordy is the last of their needs.

That leaves Burrows at $2.25 million a season.  He can play either wing.  The Rangers recently traded Etem, another player who can play either wing, in favour of keeping the cheaper Jayson Megna.  They don't need Burrows.  They don't need a teacher, they don't need a mentor, they've got lots of veteran forwards and they don't need to get more expensive.

As for your comment that the Rangers have the cap space, according to hockeyscap.com they presently have about $1.2 million in room with projected season-end space of $940 K.  They are in no position to take on $7 million.  While they have some salary coming off the books next season, even just resigning the players they've got with expiring contracts than spending their money on aging, slowing players some of whom may or may not have enough left to play in the NHL next season.

Then there's still the issue of the Rangers finding a 1st round pick to trade.  Right now I believe they still own their 2017-1st.

2 hours ago, McHortanen said:

TO VAN

THEODORE

TO ANA

VRBATA (50% retained)

HAMHUIS

The Ducks get some much need veteran help to help them out of their current situation. They get a good sniper in in Vrbata and an olympic gold medalist in Hamhuis. Maybe Theodore may be too much but if so i would take a couple picks (2nd, 3rd) or just a 1st. The Ducks have the cap room and are desperate to get to the bog show  ...

Well, this one isn't perhaps quite so unrealistic as the NYR proposal as at least here you're offering assets instead of just players that the Canucks need to move.  I don't think Anaheim should do either of the deals you suggest for Vrbata and Hamhuis but won't pretend to predict whether Bob Murray would.

I commend you for limiting the term you'd offer Byfuglien, but think coastalview is bang on.  Someone out there is going to give him a long-term deal at big money.

Archived