The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. Mens Only Charity Group Draws Criticism

DonLever

For those that think the wage gap has closed:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/22/gillian-anderson-i-was-offered-half-duchovny-s-pay-for-the-x-files-revival.html

But while Scully asserted her authority at every turn, Anderson found herself fighting just to stand on (literal) equal ground with her male co-star. The studio initially required Anderson to stand a few feet behind her male partner on camera, careful never to step side-by-side with him. It was another three years before Anderson finally closed the wage gap between her pay and Duchovny’s, having become fed up with accepting less than “equal pay for equal work.”

“I can only imagine that at the beginning, they wanted me to be the sidekick,” Anderson says of Fox’s curious no-equal-footing rule. “Or that, somehow, maybe it was enough of a change just to see a woman having this kind of intellectual repartee with a man on camera, and surely the audience couldn’t deal with actually seeing them walk side by side!”

She laughs again, this time at the absurdity of the notion of Dana Scully as anyone’s mere sidekick. “I have such a knee-jerk reaction to that stuff, a very short tolerance for that $&!#,” she says acidly. “I don’t know how long it lasted or if it changed because I eventually said, ‘&^@# no! No!’ I don’t remember somebody saying, ‘Okay, now you get to walk alongside him.’ But I imagine it had more to do with my intolerance and spunk than it being an allowance that was made.”

The work Anderson put into securing equal pay back in the ’90s seemingly came undone when it came time to negotiate pay for this year’s event series. Once again, Anderson was being offered “half” of what they would pay Duchovny.

“I’m surprised that more [interviewers] haven’t brought that up because it’s the truth,” Anderson says of the pay disparity, first disclosed in the Hollywood Reporter. “Especially in this climate of women talking about the reality of [unequal pay] in this business, I think it’s important that it gets heard and voiced. It was shocking to me, given all the work that I had done in the past to get us to be paid fairly. I worked really hard toward that and finally got somewhere with it.

“Even in interviews in the last few years, people have said to me, ‘I can’t believe that happened, how did you feel about it, that is insane.’ And my response always was, ‘That was then, this is now.’ And then it happened again! I don’t even know what to say about it.”

She stammers for a moment, at a loss for words. “It is… sad,” she finally says. “It issad.” (Anderson and Duchovny ultimately took home equal pay for the event series.)

Hollywood is a prime example, where the top male leads earn more than the top female. At my work, that wouldn't be an issue - and that's great - but that doesn't mean even every opportunity in developed countries is on par whether or not there's a factor for childrearing or anything else. I also understand that Duchovny has had more work, or more popular work I should say, but they're equal parts in the story and both equally competent as actors that for her to be offered half at first for the new series is laughable.

As for the club, I think we've all covered how easy the solution would be, if there even needs to be one.

Isn't that article showing that there is no wage gap today? She negotiated and got equal pay though I would say David has more drawing power. This is 2016, not the 90s. Isn't Jennifer Lawrence the second highest paid actor, second only to RDJ?

6 hours ago, Dral said:

I agree this is how it SHOULD be... but it's not... a quick search on youtube will show you that some of the more vocal feminists are not about equality... and if you pop you head into a gender studies class in post secondary, you may or may not find the same thing...

If that's what you believe in, then you are essentially a feminist at the core.  So reclaim the word for what it really means and what movement it represents and don't let others define feminism for you.

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If that's what you believe in, then you are essentially a feminist at the core.  So reclaim the word for what it really means and what movement it represents and don't let others define feminism for you.

No thanks - it's tainted. Why can't I just believe in equality - why do I need to use another word for it?

We don't know how much Duchovny was offered either - a big reason there is a discrepancy in pay between the genders is because men are much more likely to negotiate their salaries as compared to women. Like Vijay said - Duchovny is arguably the bigger the star... here's a similar point that Rousey makes in an interview (towards the end) when asked about the pay gap

4 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

While I would support men's only gyms one thing missing from this common complaint you are making. The woman's gyms do not exist to discriminate against men but exist because of discrimination against women in coed gyms.

I disagree with that statement; while I agree that it can happen, I think there is more to it.

As a health care worker I went to a women's only gym to tour the facility so that I could potentially recommend it to patients and over the phone I was told that I was unable to see their facility and I couldn't even go before it opened for a look around.   That was discrimation against a man.  

While I'm not against women's only groups, it's only fair that men are allowed men's only groups.  Two-way street.  Both want a place free of the opposite sex and there is nothing wrong with that.

Archived