The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dennis Wideman absolutely decks linesman on the numbers - to be suspended indefinitely

I can't believe my eyes. It looks so intentional but I can`t see why he would do something like that. The play is coming right towards them but the linesman is not even coming in that fast, what is the need for pushing so hard into his back. He can`t even say he didn`t see him he`s looking right at him.

Wow. Playing hockey growing up, there's a few things you know you don't do. You don't hit from behind, and you don't touch the officials. 

This isn't a shove, incidental contact. Just a straight up cross check. I always lean on the side of harshness, so I think a half season ban (41 games) seems appropriate. Again, it's harsh, but it sends the message. That was absolutely uncalled for.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Wow. Playing hockey growing up, there's a few things you know you don't do. You don't hit from behind, and you don't touch the officials. 

This isn't a shove, incidental contact. Just a straight up cross check. I always lean on the side of harshness, so I think a half season ban (41 games) seems appropriate. Again, it's harsh, but it sends the message. That was absolutely uncalled for.

I would give the league some props if they had the balls to hand out justice this severe. But is Wideman a repeat offender? I guess that's the big question...

Rule 40 – Physical Abuse of Officials

40.1 Game Misconduct - Any player who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official, in any manner attempts to injure an official, physically demeans, or deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall receive a game misconduct penalty. In addition, the following (40.2, 40.3, 40.4) disciplinary penalties shall apply. 

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I - Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II - Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official,shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.

Wideman's going to get at least 10 unless he can prove it was somehow accidental. Doubt he'd be suspended as a Category I offender, though.

Could someone that just got nailed in the head potentially be so out of it that he thought he was a preds player? i have no idea if that's even possible. 

If it's not that then he's screwed. He he was hit and hurt his head and was pissed off at the officials for not calling anything and decided to take it out on the linesman. 

Archived