The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$2.4 Million Tear Down House in Vancouver - Update: $9 Million Tear Down

DonLever

Yeah, I don't think we can use transit in Vancouver's favour...

Miss the bus? I hope you have an extra 15 mins in your schedule because you're gonna be waiting that long.

The sky train comes relatively quickly but then again, you only need a small rush hour to fill up the train and leave everyone else waiting for the next one.

The Canada Line is nice and spacious but it runs at about 5km/hour when not underground.

And don't get me started on Vancouver's failed attempt at reinventing the wheel... The zone system is a headache to say the least (especially now with the compass out) and should be discarded altogether. 

9 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Yeah, I don't think we can use transit in Vancouver's favour...

Miss the bus? I hope you have an extra 15 mins in your schedule because you're gonna be waiting that long.

The sky train comes relatively quickly but then again, you only need a small rush hour to fill up the train and leave everyone else waiting for the next one.

The Canada Line is nice and spacious but it runs at about 5km/hour when not underground.

And don't get me started on Vancouver's failed attempt at reinventing the wheel... The zone system is a headache to say the least (especially now with the compass out) and should be discarded altogether. 

Lol

first world problems eh.

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Metropolitan city probz.

especially when we're comparing Van to cities like LA and Berlin...

Yeah I just can't relate anymore.  Been 15 years since I lived off of commercial drive.

waiting 15 minutes is usually enjoyable for me now.

6 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Lmao ! LA has 18.5 million people, Van just 600 k.   Vancouver has been listed in the top 20 cities to live in for decades !

Go ahead live in those other garbage piles. As for Banff it is a cesspool in the mountains. Banff has been raped by tourism for a hundred years and the feel of the town is blank now. There is no soul left there.

You group Stanley Park in with all those other iconic parks and say it is not really any different form any other city with mountain views ? Rated one oft he best parks in the world yearly. The coastal range you get to look at daily is salivated over by people world wide.

I would leave Calgary and move back to Van in a heart beat if I had secure employment.  

LA a garbage pile, you could argue that.... but it's still a better city compared to Vancouver in every tangible terms.  Banff being raped by tourism.... because Vancouver and Whistler is the gold standard for "soul"?  lol 

Stanley Park isn't really exceptional.  The beaches... the water is cold, kinda polluted, sand pretty coarse, amenity minimal, not refined enough or the right climate to compare to South Beach, Cancun, French Riviera.  The trees/forest aspect... nothing special.  One of the "best"?  Very bland compared to say... the Imperial Gardens, Nara Park, Osaka Castle of Japan; Namsan Park in Seoul. 

Coastal views.... sure, if you're living on the Sunshine Coast, West Vancouver, the edges of Vancouver West.... but you're right, that killer view of Georgia Straight really sold it when I purchased my apartment along Kingsways in East Vancouver!

6 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

sounds like you have never lived in Van.  Economically I made more money than anywhere else I ever lived. Culturally I was always seeing cool indie bands, there was a really strong spoken word scene when I was there (I didn't take part but it was there) and I was living with some Emily Carr students that dragged me to alot of art shows.  ENtertainment?  AGain the quality of music shows that came thru town were great and I dindn't go out to the bars because the after party scene was where the real parties were.  The SKYTRAIN is 100% more convenient than anything available in LA.  Dating...It has nothing to do with location, I am sorry for your failure with the opposite sex. And you cannot compare the out door lifestyle options available to Vancouver residents all within an hr of the city....LA has surfing and hiking.

LA isn't great for transit, nobody is ever arguing that... but you're like the first person on CDC that has endorsed the skytrain as a convenient system.  The skytrain is crap compared to every other top-tiered city in the world.  Ever traveled around in Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Hong Kong, NYC or London? 

You earning more money in Vancouver than elsewhere..... then you're a rarity.  Most of my peers and people I know earns much less locally than they would have elsewhere. 

You are very fixated with LA.... but it's impact on the global stage is still greater than Vancouver.  Just because Vancouver has a few relatively nicer aspects doesn't mean it belongs in the A+ city list. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/ss/08/10/1028_global_cities/index.htm

6 hours ago, Electro Rock said:

Wrong hipster, I've lived in Vancouver since before it jumped the shark.

Skytrain is convenient if you're only travelling a moderate distance and your starting point and destination are close to a station. Other than certain really well serviced bus corridors, public transit here is a joke. I found it better in L.A. even though it's basically an afterthought there.

Vancouver wins when it comes to outdoor activities and natural setting, hands down, but in nearly every other way its not even competitive, like comparing Vancouver to some random hick town in Saskatchewan or something.

this bolded part would be contested by every single person in California I know. and I know a LOT of people in California. Vancouver has that rugged west coast nature thing, yes, but people in Los Angeles have the beaches, the surfing, and they have the rugged stuff just a couple of hours away. That old chestnut that people in Vancouver can "go to the beach and skiing in the same day" is also true about Los Angeles. You could go surfing on a white sand beach, then go drive a couple of hours up to Mammoth. people in San Francisco have it even better, IMO, with the bay area, the redwood forests, the napa valley, etc. all so close by.

California could break off into the sea and become a country more powerful than the rest of America almost overnight. It is a powerhouse of culture, farming, and business.

hilarious to read this conversation. LA is a total sh-thole in my opinion. I just don't identify with many of the cultures there, but obviously millions do. that said, there is now way in hell I would even compare it to Vancouver. it's like comparing a grape with a watermelon. Vancouver just has nothing to offer most people.

I would never, not in a million years, live in Vancouver if given the option to live in another city like London, New York, Paris, etc. I'd even take San Francisco, Toronto, or Montreal, Boston, etc.

24 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

this bolded part would be contested by every single person in California I know. and I know a LOT of people in California. Vancouver has that rugged west coast nature thing, yes, but people in Los Angeles have the beaches, the surfing, and they have the rugged stuff just a couple of hours away. That old chestnut that people in Vancouver can "go to the beach and skiing in the same day" is also true about Los Angeles. You could go surfing on a white sand beach, then go drive a couple of hours up to Mammoth. people in San Francisco have it even better, IMO, with the bay area, the redwood forests, the napa valley, etc. all so close by.

California could break off into the sea and become a country more powerful than the rest of America almost overnight. It is a powerhouse of culture, farming, and business.

hilarious to read this conversation. LA is a total sh-thole in my opinion. I just don't identify with many of the cultures there, but obviously millions do. that said, there is now way in hell I would even compare it to Vancouver. it's like comparing a grape with a watermelon. Vancouver just has nothing to offer most people.

I would never, not in a million years, live in Vancouver if given the option to live in another city like London, New York, Paris, etc. I'd even take San Francisco, Toronto, or Montreal, Boston, etc.

SanFrancisco is very similar to Vancouver.  It even has its own sewer close by too.  We have Surrey, and San Francisco has Oakland.  

Plus, comparing value relative to weight, and your grape to watermelon comparison is actually quite accurate. :shock:

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

SanFrancisco is very similar to Vancouver.  It even has its own sewer close by too.  We have Surrey, and San Francisco has Oakland.  

Plus, comparing value relative to weight, and your grape to watermelon comparison is actually quite accurate. :shock:

Oakland is rapidly becoming an extremely hip, safe, "cool" place to live, since SF is now completely outpriced for most young people. Massive "arts" community, world class restaurants, etc.

Surrey... not so much...

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Straight out of my mouth, except for the LA bit. It's huge, expansive and has a bit of everything for everybody. If you didn't identify with a certain culture, maybe you hung out with the wrong crowd. The traffic is horrendous though.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Loosers, half of you talking all that nonsense about Surrey couldn't afford to rent a basement suite in Surrey.

Talking all that crap like your crap don't stink. GTFO.

Surrey boy located. My condolences...

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

L.A. has the beaches but its situated in the middle of a desert, so Vancouver wins easily on the whole hiking, camping, hunting, mountain biking, 4x4ing, doing-stuff-in-a-real-wilderness deal. NorCal is a much better, but outside of Alaska and some parts of the northeast, you're not going to find much in the way of a vast forested wilderness in the U.S.

Cali's cool and all, but it wouldn't be in my top 10 choices if I could move anywhere, it's just not what it used to be.

I've lived in other parts of the world. it's expensive here but I couldn't live anywhere else. Only in Canada. Seen most of the country, driven thru most small towns many times. great country, as they say, pay to play. You wanna live in heaven, it's not cheap. Everyone in the world want to live here. 

4 hours ago, guntrix said:

Straight out of my mouth, except for the LA bit. It's huge, expansive and has a bit of everything for everybody. If you didn't identify with a certain culture, maybe you hung out with the wrong crowd.

This is true. There are chunks of the region that I just haven't even seen. I never went to the more "alternative" or weird communities at all. I know they exist, but so much of my time in the area was spent in the less interesting South Bay areas, like Torrance, or over in Orange County - which technically isn't LA, but naturally lots of overlap happens when spending time in the area. I did spend some time in West Hollywood a few times - that area goes from bland to bizarre kitsch every few steps.

I should have just said that I've been there quite a few times and I've just never had great experiences with locals, with the weather (too hot for me), with traffic, etc. It's just a place I could ever imagine calling home.

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Loosers, half of you talking all that nonsense about Surrey couldn't afford to rent a basement suite in Surrey.

Talking all that crap like your crap don't stink. GTFO.

Sure, love Surrey.  Why wouldn't anyone love Surrey?  (England) :lol:

This whole discussion is so ridiculous. You talk about LA being garbage or Surrey or how great somewhere else is as though you can just generalize a place based on its worst or best neighbourhoods. There are parts of Surrey that are as nice as point grey, and there are parts that are garbage. Same for Vancouver (dtes anyone? ), same for LA, same for anywhere. 

Fact is, when you factor in climate, geography, federal & provincial laws, freedoms, etc, Vancouver is a desirable place to live on a global scale. Of course it's not on the scale of cities like Paris, New York, London, etc, but price or desirability takes into consideration a number of factors and Vancouver comes out high on a number of them.

2 minutes ago, inane said:

This whole discussion is so ridiculous. You talk about LA being garbage or Surrey or how great somewhere else is as though you can just generalize a place based on its worst or best neighbourhoods. There are parts of Surrey that are as nice as point grey, and there are parts that are garbage. Same for Vancouver (dtes anyone? ), same for LA, same for anywhere. 

Fact is, when you factor in climate, geography, federal & provincial laws, freedoms, etc, Vancouver is a desirable place to live on a global scale. Of course it's not on the scale of cities like Paris, New York, London, etc, but price or desirability takes into consideration a number of factors and Vancouver comes out high on a number of them.

Is Surrey, BC now claiming White Rock as its Point Grey?:sick:

Just now, inane said:

Is being ignorant something you choose or something you just can't help? 

I always believed ignorance was based upon not being aware of circumstance, or not knowing.  We all know the facts of Surrey's place in our GVRD.  

As for Vancouver as a great city, yes it is.  It's a fabulously beautiful, and cosmopolitan city.  There is a reason why we built Sky Train's final stop in Surrey. 

Just now, Alflives said:

I always believed ignorance was based upon not being aware of circumstance, or not knowing.  We all know the facts of Surrey's place in our GVRD.  

As for Vancouver as a great city, yes it is.  It's a fabulously beautiful, and cosmopolitan city.  There is a reason why we built Sky Train's final stop in Surrey. 

The facts? Please, share these 'facts'. 

Archived