The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Reputation Tied To Shinkaruk

TheGuardian_

13 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I'm not going to argue with anything except our top picks, drafting record and asset mismanagement. Management over the years has put "their stamp" on it. It looks something like this:

Bourdon -> very unfortunate
Grabner -> Bust
White -> Bust
Hodgson -> Kassian +5th -> Prust -> Bust
Shroeder -> Bust
McNally -> Bust
Jensen -> Etem -> probable bust
Gaunce -> probable trade bait
Shinkurak -> Granlund -> future Prust bust
Horvat -> shouldn't be trade bait -> bust

McCann ?
Virtanen ?
Boeser ?

Now, there is never a sure fire thing in drafting, but this looks like a sure "loser" scouting team. It takes real talent to do this poorly for so many years. Management could do themselves a favour and hire a scouting team that works.

Putting in Bourdon as the first part of your argument is poor taste, even if it's "very unfortunate". Bourdon was the real deal.

Grabner wasn't a bust - he was one of the better picks of that draft, especially after pick 10 and later. The trade involving Grabner was absolutely awful. Worst trade in memorable history because the Canucks also traded their first round pick for that year for an expensive defenceman that Florida really wanted to give away. Gillis got raped in that deal, even though Florida didn't actually win with that pick either.

Shinkaruk -> Granlund  - "Prust bust"? You'd be lucky to draft a player like Prust in his prime. (Not the Prust we traded from MTL). Prust was great in Calgary/Montreal.

Horvat's a bust? LMFAO. GTFO.

Virtanen is progressing.

Boeser is a great pick.

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I say a lot of things for my own personal entertainment. It was my way of mocking the idiocy of this thread and 99% of the posts related to this trade.

I've noticed a lot of people come to CDC to be butthurt whiners. Zero sense of humour and an insane appetite for PC BS isn't reserved for sitting in a cubicle; they bring it home and to CDC. Their sore ass drags down everyone in their path. Some people just want to have something to whine and complain about. 

Lots of rivers to cry, so little time.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

I've noticed a lot of people come to CDC to be butthurt whiners. Zero sense of humour and an insane appetite for PC BS isn't reserved for sitting in a cubicle; they bring it home and to CDC. Their sore ass drags down everyone in their path. Some people just want to have something to whine and complain about. 

Lots of rivers to cry, so little time.

Haha, no kidding. 

I am constantly trying to manipulate or trap those people you speak of. 

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Horvat's a bust? LMFAO. GTFO.

No, he's not a bust. I think he will be shopped soon to make the play-offs for some player that will eventually become a bust (Drouin - bust, or Stamkos - rental). It's the Canuck way...see previous history that supports such observation.

Just now, gizmo2337 said:

No, he's not a bust. I think he will be shopped soon to make the play-offs for some player that will eventually become a bust (Drouin - bust, or Stamkos - rental). It's the Canuck way...see previous history that supports such observation.

Don't think. The rest of CDC thinks they are thinking, but in reality, when you look at the fanbase of the other teams, no single fanbase is a bigger joke than us.

We are the biggest whiners by more than a light year, and by far the most arrogant. When the team does poorly for a season or two, the fanbase jumps ship. Meanwhile, teams run by joke management, Edmonton and Toronto have consistently high turnout rates.

22 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

You have school tomorrow young man. You don't wanna sleep in, you need time to eat your cereal and brush your teeth. 

School...young man? Those were the (easy) days :) Probably more like plan retirement, help the kids graduate and get through college. Hopefully I'll live to see this team make some moves forward for the future instead of living in the past.

Just now, LaBamba said:

Haha, no kidding. 

I am constantly trying to manipulate or trap those people you speak of. 

Awesome! I tend to take it a little far, then get banned for few days...

Guess I pick the real winners in the butthurt contest. Whining losers, some people just never trash talked, because they never actually played a sport, and are just generally useless humans that only know how to press "report", or tell the teacher.

9 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Hahahaha! Dude, you're getting pretty worked up over a fairly minor trade.

Tell us how trading Horvat will help us make the playoffs? 

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Don't think. The rest of CDC thinks they are thinking, but in reality, when you look at the fanbase of the other teams, no single fanbase is a bigger joke than us.

We are the biggest whiners by more than a light year, and by far the most arrogant. When the team does poorly for a season or two, the fanbase jumps ship. Meanwhile, teams run by joke management, Edmonton and Toronto have consistently high turnout rates.

Meh, I just want the team to stick to the plan. Get younger, bigger, faster, more skilled, and draft well. I'd be happy to wait it out if they stick to it. Instead, we've gotten softer, older, less prospects, less skilled, less picks. I'm almost sure more plugs are on the way. Let me know how that looks next week, and how they explain that to the fans.

4 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Meh, I just want the team to stick to the plan. Get younger, bigger, faster, more skilled, and draft well. I'd be happy to wait it out if they stick to it. Instead, we've gotten softer, older, less prospects, less skilled, less picks. I'm almost sure more plugs are on the way. Let me know how that looks next week, and how they explain that to the fans.

Horvat was a great pick, even if it wasn't Benning's.

Jensen was not useful to the organization (in hindsight, a bad Gillis pick, but still had value). Etem is doing more for the Canucks more than what Jensen ever could have done, even if it's not "dramatic".

Baertschi trade was brilliant.

Benning's traded for Pedan, which, IMO, is a steal.

Horvat should not be traded, but I think Benning recognizes this. Shinkaruk was/is a good player, but we traded potential for something of demonstrable value.

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

They are "all knowing", they are infallible and they get fired all the time for being wrong.

GM's, just who do they work for? The team? The league? The owner's? Themselves? Do they owe "anything" to the fans?

Owing the fans, to me the GM and president enter into a verbal contract, it is a matter of honor clouded with a variety of issues, secrets and eventually it comes down to disrespect.

There is the stated reason for moving Shinkaruk, a 1rst round pick, a potential top six goal scorer and with only one game played in the NHL, Benning pulls a deal that reduces the depth on the team for an older player that moves between the AHL and NHL without really leaving a mark in either league.

Reasons given are Shinkaruk is too small at 5'11" and 180 lbs, Grandlund is 6' 178 lbs, Shinkaruk is more an offensive player and Grandlund is a 200' player.

What I see here is the lowering of the common denominator making a less skilled player look better than he might be. I'm sure Etem and Vey look better now.

Maybe they do work for themselves, they make sure that they have employment for 5+ years by tearing down the team without actually getting the possibility of improving.

Here is another thought, maybe this trade makes Calgary good enough to pass the Nucks in the standings and help get a better draft pick.

Maybe they are thinking of having a Finnish player here to play with a Finnish draft pick.

So whatever the mindset the team has right now, they are setting this city up for 6+ years of struggle before they are even close to being competitive.

How good Benning is will be reflected by this trade, if HS goes on to be a 30 goal scorer then Benning isn't the GM we were all told he was, unfortunately it will be too late then, the damage will be done.

Vey, Etem, Forsling, Clendening, Gralund, Shinkaruk, all deals with maybe one exception, ONE, haven't made any kind of impact.

I acknowledge that I know nothing about Grandlund but feel pretty confident that Benning's reputation will NOT be tied to Shinkaruk. What he does in the next week (stupidly become a buyer, let UFAs go for peanuts or instead trade deadweight for picks) will determine his rep. I think the TDL and draft day this year will either significantly help get the franchise on the right path or give us déjà vu of past painful decades.

8 minutes ago, SvenBae said:

And that makes him turning out better than an emerging effective 2nd line winger in the NHL, how?

You should realize better than anyone about this - you need to trade something of value to GET value. Just because you don't see the value of Granlund doesn't make this trade (necessarily) a bad one.

The reports I've read about Granlund are really promising for a young player. This is a guy that doesn't take shifts off and he is an all-rounder. Calgary fans are notorious for bashing outgoing players, yet many have very good comments about Granlund, even if they are also excited about Shinkaruk.

Just now, Dazzle said:

You should realize better than anyone about this - you need to trade something of value to GET value. Just because you don't see the value of Granlund doesn't make this trade (necessarily) a bad one.

The reports I've read about Granlund are really promising for a young player. This is a guy that doesn't take shifts off and he is an all-rounder. Calgary fans are notorious for bashing outgoing players, yet many have very good comments about Granlund, even if they are also excited about Shinkaruk.

Why are you quoting me about Granlund?

I'm questioning the baseless comment that Baertschi is a one dimensional and less valuable player than Rasmussen because the latter is scoring well in the OHL.

2 minutes ago, SvenBae said:

Why are you quoting me about Granlund?

I'm questioning the baseless comment that Baertschi is a one dimensional and less valuable player than Rasmussen because the latter is scoring well in the OHL.

I took your comments out of context. I thought you were talking about how Granlund isn't worth it because Shinkaruk was. I can see now that wasn't what you said.

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

Based on what?

JB has praised Horvat throughout his time here and pretty much said he was untradable.

Horvat has been giving all the opportunity to play and build his off-ice contribution to the city of Vancouver.

Stevie Y already asked Canucks for Horvat in exchange for Drouin:
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/lebrun-drouin-drama-percolated-before-boiling-over-with-trade-request-1.427299

@5:40

39 minutes ago, homersexual said:

Interesting take from BobMckenzie...

Weisbrod was CGY AGM when Baertschi/Granlund were there and Shinkaruk passed over by CGY to draft Emile Poirier. Weisbrod now VAN AGM.

Jim Benning isn't even making the trades!

Stretch so much they should call you Reed Richards.

Archived