The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Reputation Tied To Shinkaruk

TheGuardian_

A fan on the CGY boards posted:

So works out, more or less, like this I think, Baertchi and Granlund to Van.

Shinkaruk and a draft pick (Klington) to Cgy.

If Klington's back holds up, he is a top d prospect, Baertchi and Shinkaruk both offensively talented, but in need of defensive work ...
Overall, the two trades look good for Calgary, and for Van. Baertschi is coming around more, and Granlund will give them some defensive help on a third line ..

Not bad for both teams I would think. A steal for CGY if Klington makes good on the potential seen in him

Totally not surprised by the overreaction by a faction on this Board. We won't really know who wins this trade for years to come.

Let's relax and watch things unfold before we hit the panic button.

Granlund is a serviceable player who can fill in a both wing and centre. His numbers at the WJC are outstanding and he played against men in the Finnish league putting up decent numbers.

I liked Shink and I was a bit taken aback at first, but then I looked in Granlund's career thus far and he's done pretty well. The trade looks okay to me, but time will tell.

The sky is falling...

We are all going to die..

Lol.

Good trade.  

The same people calling for the GM to do something ,anything , lose it when anything happens. 

The league is tight, the cap is hard, great players don't fall from the sky. 

Benning is grinding out throw away players and rolling the dice on young guys. I like it. 

To the people talking about this trade was a bust this guy is a bust.... 

He's got to fill in a year or two while we develope our guys. 

Last year getting vrbata was largely known to be the best free agent signing of any. What vrbata has done this year cannot be blamed on Benning. 

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Then I would imagine Baerstchi is on the block, his value can't be higher than in the last 4 years.

Overloaded on the left side? Why didn't he play mostly on the right side in Utica? His goals seem to show him there and on both sides.  What an odd comment, most winger play both sides in todays NHL

How is this for the next stunner, Guance traded to Dallas for Matt Mangene, Benning says afterwards, "I relied on Willie because he knew this player and he hasn't had a chance to play in the NHL yet, he is what we need, a good 3rd line grinder"

Gawd what a group of bitchy little whiners we have here. None of you have one iota of the hockey knowledge of the Canuck braintrust. Pretty sure HS has hit the high point in his career. If Green thought Hunter was an NHL prospect he would have been up for more than a one game look. I'm sure Green has told JB exactly what type of prospect we had, which is why he was traded for a player who is only one year older, but has played a full season's worth of NHL games and put up better stats in the AHL. It's not like we just traded away Pavel Bure, and it's not like we acquired OV, so settle down! 

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Hahahaha! Dude, you're getting pretty worked up over a fairly minor trade.

Tell us how trading Horvat will help us make the playoffs? 

If you were management, would trading Horvat for Stamkos help make the playoffs? Before you say yes or no, consider the signs that are pointing to this.. or something similar. Where there is smoke...

It seems that everyone who pines for HS has failed to notice that HS does not really possess an athletic body! He skates kinda bow legged, has suspect hips, has no shape to his upper body and skates some what awkwardly! 

I remember watching JT looking at the Sedins like he was oriented in the alternative way lol What he really was looking at and what was really going through his mind was the fact that they had a good athletic frame that he would be able to win games with! The moment we drafted HS it struck that HS is physically built awkward. Not the kind of body that you would expect an NHL elite player or prospect to possess.............

What would JB get for HS next year when he is still playing in the minors or worse yet it starts to become abundantly clear that due to HS physical attributes he will never make it in the NHL?

Granlund seems to have played well in the NHL for an entry level player if I recall correctly...........

Perhaps Boeser is farther along then we think and JB is simply making room for him to progress to the big team while acquiring another decent center which is the preferred position to have an abundance of anyways and always fetch the greatest return in the long run if they turn out to be good or above average players. You have to remember that all these prospects need to be with the big club to actually have any impact for us!

Im pretty sure JB has more smarts than to just trade all our upper end prospects away for plugs! You also have to factor in what JB has up his sleeves for the  Trade Deadline as well as the upcoming draft. He knows as well as we do that this team is going nowhere this year.

Plus I think the Baertschi trade worked out pretty well along with the Sutter acquisition(barring injuries). 

It's a bit over the top to suggest that Benning's reputation will live or die depending on how Grandlund and Shinkaruk pan out. IMO Benning will be remember for what unfolds after the Sedin's are gone just like Burke is remembered for drafting them. 

crappy trade i thot initially.... but its not too bad i think. Like many ppl already said on this board, HS is a perimeter player. I watched some highlights of granlund... he plays like toews. He not flashy at all but knows where to go to score the goals. i like him. He may not be a 40 goal scorer but he can definitely reach 30 with his hockey IQ. 

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:
13 minutes ago, MadOgre said:

It seems that everyone who pines for HS has failed to notice that HS does not really possess an athletic body! He skates kinda bow legged, has suspect hips, has no shape to his upper body and skates some what awkwardly! 

I

There's a lot of great skaters who have th bow legs....you can start with Bobby Orr he did OK for a bowlegged skater. One of the best skaters to play for Vcr was Bobby Manno skated like the wind...bow legged

13 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

If you were management, would trading Horvat for Stamkos help make the playoffs? Before you say yes or no, consider the signs that are pointing to this.. or something similar. Where there is smoke...

There are no signs pointing to Horvat being traded for Stamkos.

But I've noticed some of you guys have upped Horvat's value from Drouin..

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

GREAT GREAT TRADE....Sick of listening to team 1040 about this bad trade....Sorry look at there stats in pro????

Grandlund AHL stats GP 21---pts 17 following season

AHL Stats GP52-- pts 47.....Come on this guy is much bigger and can play in the NHL and is only one year

older then Shinkaruk.. We have 6 better player under 24 in system better right now then Shinkaruck..

Horvak, McCann, Bartechi, Etam, Last years 1st rounder 20goals in 25 GP in NCAA league are all bigger and ahead of Shinkaruck.

I like Grandlund he is only 22 and has had a better minor league stats then Shinkaruck5'9, 178 lbs and Grandlund 6'0 195 lbs can play center or wing...

Great Great trade we already have enough soft forwards, we need grit and Grandlund has grit and enough skill...

He is playing for Calgary Flames big club?? Shinkaruk will not make Canucks so right there is enough..

Great trade Benning..Awesome keep trades coming.......Sick of listening to these un educated fans??? who care if Shinkaruck has 21 goals...Go luck at Grandlunds stats in minors better then Shinkaruk..

Where did u get Granlund being 195 pounds? 

Really curious to know? Because he is no where near that. 

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

There's a lot of great skaters who have th bow legs....you can start with Bobby Orr he did OK for a bowlegged skater. One of the best skaters to play for Vcr was Bobby Manno skated like the wind...bow legged

Kesler is another 

29 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

crappy trade i thot initially.... but its not too bad i think. Like many ppl already said on this board, HS is a perimeter player. I watched some highlights of granlund... he plays like toews. He not flashy at all but knows where to go to score the goals. i like him. He may not be a 40 goal scorer but he can definitely reach 30 with his hockey IQ. 

Lol 30 goals 

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Kesler is another 

Both Kesler and Orr Have physical frames that HS does not. Has no one ever noticed that HS has no triceps? At all! And really his skating is almost awful.

Orr's career ended because of his bow legs

Kesler can skate at least compared to HS and Kesler has only really skated like he does since 2011. Kesler also has triceps! and an athletic frame.

HS looks like he belongs in computer sales.................................................................................. Those two players are not valid comparisons to HS

JB has been trying to deal him since day one and if it was because of him being MG's pick then why is BO centering our 2nd line?

Don't you just love how easy it is nowadays to determine who wins a trade just a few hours after it has been made? Technology apparently made this so much easier. No one could have done this 30 years ago, but it's so easy today. Back in the day it took many many games or even years to get that intel, now it's available to anyone off the street and anyone can voice an opinion and it counts as a fact in the posters mind. Truly amazing.

2 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Disappointed not to see Shink get a chance here.  He seemed to be trending upwards like we hope for our minor league prospects.  

This deal, for me, has the same flavour as the Miller signing and the Kassian give away.

The same Kassian who has four points in fourteen games? Let it go, man.

Archived