The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Possibly Targeting San Jose Players For Trade?

Southpop45

3 minutes ago, ohmy said:

I don't think Hertl is a center either but I'd take Deniros deal absolutely. We'd have to retain salary this year but they can work that out. Dillon being a local boy and a 2nd in the draft would be great. 

If JB pulled off a Miller for Dillon deal, that would be sweet.  He may excel at any one thing, but he's got a mean streak in him.  The Canucks need that on D desperately. 

3 minutes ago, mpt said:

Marleau isn't waiving his NTC for Vancouver, no one is taking on Miller's contract for next year.  One year from now, Miller might be traded but not now

To be honest, I don't think you're wrong. If he wants out he'll have to either broaden his options, or resign to finishing out his contract where he is.

If San Jose wants a goalie for any playoff run, there may be cheaper $ options, but Miller has been playing pretty good this year and could be had for a relatively low return. Hence, traded for another contract.

Again, I wouldn't be a fan of the move, but stranger things have happened. 

I've really enjoyed Miller being here as it allowed Markstrom to develop at his own pace. If he left, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Easier to find a backup than a starter.

9 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Doubt SJ moves Hertl for an old player like Miller or Hamhuis. Saying that, he is a RFA-to-be, so if contract negotations have gone south you never know...

Hertl is a C who plays W mostly and can be a 40-50 point player at the NHL level. Plus he's decently sized, can play a 200 foot game and is 22. 

But honestly, wouldn't SJ rather have Hertl than Miller for a playoff run? Even if negotations are going poorly, they keep his rights and can move him in the off season. 

You can confidently swap doubt with never bloody happen in the history of the world and be entirely correct.

1 minute ago, Noseforthenet said:

Yeah, maybe this is for a player or two on San Jose. It's more than likely though that they are there because we play them 3 FREAKING TIMES next week.

If they still think playoffs are happening they're crazy.

If they're scouting ways to lose against San Jose, they don't need to worry about that.

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

To be honest, I don't think you're wrong. If he wants out he'll have to either broaden his options, or resign to finishing out his contract where he is.

If San Jose wants a goalie for any playoff run, there may be cheaper $ options, but Miller has been playing pretty good this year and could be had for a relatively low return. Hence, traded for another contract.

Again, I wouldn't be a fan of the move, but stranger things have happened. 

I've really enjoyed Miller being here as it allowed Markstrom to develop at his own pace. If he left, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Easier to find a backup than a starter.

Well... I think you already know what I've been saying this last week. Stranger things have happened, indeed. 

It's clear that we would either need to take back a serious salary or retain the maximum on Miller... maybe both.

I think there's some real fire near this smoke though... I've been clear on that. It's a domino from moving Hammer. One begets the other.

5 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Yeah, maybe this is for a player or two on San Jose. It's more than likely though that they are there because we play them 3 FREAKING TIMES next week.

Keep Vrbata and Hamhuis and scoutt the Sharks. That way we can get 6pts to help us make the playoffs and get the owners 2-3 games of playoff revenue. Ya it sure sounds like Benning.

I think your on to something...

Here's a real cascade of moves...

- We deal Vrbata for a 2nd and/or B prospect

- We deal Burrows for a depth player in the 25 yo range and maybe a mid round pick

- We deal Bart for a low pick

The then crescendo...

Hammer(with a two year extension) + Miller(50% retained for both years)  for Marleau, Stalock ++ (Goldobin?)

Lose every game to SJ... get a top 5 placement.

5 minutes ago, theminister said:

Well... I think you already know what I've been saying this last week. Stranger things have happened, indeed. 

It's clear that we would either need to take back a serious salary or retain the maximum on Miller... maybe both.

I think there's some real fire near this smoke though... I've been clear on that. It's a domino from moving Hammer. One begets the other.

You are certainly the one who got me pondering the possibility, and I still don't like it. Cap-wise it makes sense, but that's about it.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

If JB pulled off a Miller for Dillon deal, that would be sweet.  He may excel at any one thing, but he's got a mean streak in him.  The Canucks need that on D desperately.

You got that right stawns. Too many please get out of my goalies crease and not enough back off mother f****r! Only time I saw that this year was when Pedan was in the lineup.

1 minute ago, theminister said:

Here's a real cascade of moves...

- We deal Vrbata for a 2nd and/or B prospect

- We deal Burrows for a depth player in the 25 yo range and maybe a mid round pick

- We deal Bart for a low pick

The then crescendo...

Hammer(with a two year extension) + Miller(50% retained for both years) for both years for Marleau, Stalock ++

Lose very game to SJ... get a top 5 placement.

Haha how i would love all these deals to come to fruition...

But no way Hammer wants only a 2 year extension. Likely on his last contract and will want close to max term. Also, Marleau isn't going anywhere unless he decides to

Archived