The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dennis Wideman and Karma

Dennis Wideman just can't seem to stay on the ice.                                            

The Calgary Flames defenseman was hurt in the immediate aftermath of teammate Michael Frolik's goal Wednesday night.

Wideman collided with Joe Colborne near the boards, moments after Frolik gave the Flames a 2-0 lead in the first period.

The Flames later called Wideman's ailment an upper-body injury and announced he wouldn't return.

It was his third game back after sitting out 19 contests while his 20-game suspension for hitting linesman Don Henderson was appealed and ultimately reduced to 10.

Karma? 

It was later revealed that Wideman had also suffered a concussion on the Salomaki body check and refused treatment by the Flames' training staff, in violation of the NHL's mandatory head injury protocols.[9]

How is this karma?  He had a concussion.  He has never been a dirty player.  I guess a Canadian thing with you guys.  You just hate each other.

14 minutes ago, swflyers8 said:

Karma? How is this karma?  He had a concussion.  He has never been a dirty player.  I guess a Canadian thing with you guys.  You just hate each other.

It is karma because he was found to have deliberately targeted an official, then launched a spurious appeal which was always going to find in his favour due to the inconsistent rulings of the NHL in previous instances. The official will miss the rest of the season and won't have $m health treatment from a rich team, he'll be down his local doctor's getting tablets and sitting in a dark room at home, while his family tries to get by on his sick pay from his job that pays him 1/50th of Wideman's salary.

Now he's been taken out by his own team-mate. That reeks of justice.

4 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

It is karma because he was found to have deliberately targeted an official, then launched a spurious appeal which was always going to find in his favour due to the inconsistent rulings of the NHL in previous instances. The official will miss the rest of the season and won't have $m health treatment from a rich team, he'll be down his local doctor's getting tablets and sitting in a dark room at home, while his family tries to get by on his sick pay from his job that pays him 1/50th of Wideman's salary.

I appreciate and empathize with the sentiment but at the risk of being 'that guy'...that's not actually how karma works.

Technically :P

29 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I appreciate and empathize with the sentiment but at the risk of being 'that guy'...that's not actually how karma works.

Technically :P

Well yeah, but it's as close as we're going to get. Short of Wideman dying and being reborn as an antelope.

6 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

You do know that they arbitrator did a very good job at describing his decision to reduce the suspension to 10 games. Not only did his opinion indicate that Wideman's contact with the official was not premeditated and largely affected by a concussion he attained on the hit prior to contact with the official, but that Bettman's analysis of the incident was lacking in every area of his argument for the 20 game suspension. Why do we need an arbitrator to have to intervene and state the obvious. Maybe its because Bettman thinks he is GOD NHL but now we know he is just a humorless napoleon wannabe. Now Bettman's appeal is spurious.

9 hours ago, swflyers8 said:

Karma? 

How is this karma?  He had a concussion.  He has never been a dirty player.  I guess a Canadian thing with you guys.  You just hate each other.

I've had concussions in the past playing football, you still know what you're doing. It's not like being a black out drunk with no recollection. Refs in stripes is pretty distinguishable compared to team jerseys. Guy is full of $&!# and should man up and take his punishment.

2 hours ago, Tiger Gino Brash Ryp said:

I've had concussions in the past playing football, you still know what you're doing. It's not like being a black out drunk with no recollection. Refs in stripes is pretty distinguishable compared to team jerseys. Guy is full of $&!# and should man up and take his punishment.

You have no idea about the severity of Wideman's concussion. Your history with concussions has nothing to do with anything. If there was a way to prove that Wideman's actions were not concussion related the NHL would have done so. The rest is all opinion. You don't believe that someone with a brain injury wasn't fully aware of what was going on in his surroundings.

I do. 

12 hours ago, swflyers8 said:

Karma? 

No.  We only hate guys who attack someone without manning up face to face.  Not unlike US fighters dropping bombs from 20,000 feet on people with pitchforks.  

Not unlike US fighters dropping bombs from 20,000 feet on people with pitchforks.  

Do you really want to go there?

Overall, just a dumb thread.  Wideman served 19 games when the arbitrator decided 10 was enough.

38 minutes ago, swflyers8 said:

Do you really want to go there?

Overall, just a dumb thread.  Wideman served 19 games when the arbitrator decided 10 was enough.

You mention Canadians hating each other, and then expect no response?  We don't like to see a person assault another person at any time, especially when the other party can't see it coming.  Wideman assaulted someone from behind.  It was a very cowardly act.  It displays no courage or honour to attack someone who is unsuspecting.  

On 3/17/2016 at 1:51 PM, Captain Woodget said:

Well yeah, but it's as close as we're going to get. Short of Wideman dying and being reborn as an antelope.

No. He has a long ways with getting back a lot of the officials respect. 

Some of those calls/miscalls that could go either way on him might go not in his favor anymore.

That will be his karma

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

You mention Canadians hating each other, and then expect no response?  We don't like to see a person assault another person at any time, especially when the other party can't see it coming.  Wideman assaulted someone from behind.  It was a very cowardly act.  It displays no courage or honour to attack someone who is unsuspecting.  

It was said as I posted the fact, that Wideman had a concussion after the hit he suffered. When he skated back to bench he had no clue where he was.  It was similar to the Kapanen hit, the Toews hit.  If your brain is scrambled, how do you expect him to know where or who he was at the time.  

As far as your last line, hmmm, I can remember a certain Canuck player who displayed no courage or honor when he attacked a guy who was unsuspecting.   Yet most still defended him and wished him the best.

Archived