The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft - Joey Anderson

Right Wing || US Development Team || 5'11 || 192lbs

Usa_anderson_joey_medium

A transitional two-way winger that thinks the game well and can get into tight spots very easily and smack the puck home. Tremendous shot release and knows how to score from all angles. Great hands and hockey sense help him open up time and space for himselfaswell as the guys around him, making him one of those key guys on the ice that makes the players around him better.

Defensively, not all too assertive, but finds lanes and takes them away as quickly as he sees them. That heads-up defensive awareness needs to be quicker, and he needs to be more physically astute. Nonetheless, Joey Anderson has great potential as a number 2, number 3 all around winger that could potentially put up anywhere from 30 to 50 points consistently, with peak years boosting him to around 60 points. 

Put him with guys that think the game similarly and can take advantage of time and space, and you have yourself a game-impacting combo.

11 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Why?

The freedom that NCAA players have at the end of their 4 years is why.

The loophole in holding rights that has let Justin Shultz, Kevin Hayes et go to free agency. Screwing the team that drafted them with no compensation.

Schultz was taken at 43rd overall in 2008. Had the Ducks knows he was going to screw them they might have taken Hamonic or Scandella or Brodie or Spurgeon...

Or how about Kevin Hayes..

If the Hawks knew he was going to bolt maybe they would have selected Toffoli or Kuznetsov or Coyle or Nelson...

My point is to avoid getting into these potential situations, especially when you're trying to change the country a player was born and grew up in.

12 minutes ago, AriGold said:

The freedom that NCAA players have at the end of their 4 years is why.

The loophole in holding rights that has let Justin Shultz, Kevin Hayes et go to free agency. Screwing the team that drafted them with no compensation.

Schultz was taken at 43rd overall in 2008. Had the Ducks knows he was going to screw them they might have taken Hamonic or Scandella or Brodie or Spurgeon...

Or how about Kevin Hayes..

If the Hawks knew he was going to bolt maybe they would have selected Toffoli or Kuznetsov or Coyle or Nelson...

My point is to avoid getting into these potential situations, especially when you're trying to change the country a player was born and grew up in.

Ya because demko bolted right?

Just now, ReggieBush said:

Ya because demko bolted right?

Ahhh, I see you didn't read my whole post...

"My point is to avoid getting into these potential situations"

If another player is available who has the same potential and he's from Europe or Canada then I say take that person.

37 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Pass on any Americans that play in the US development system or are committed to NCAA.

Just being honest.

That's like saying we should pass on this kid because he has low set ears.  He does, but that's no reason to not draft him, unless there is an equal talent with normal ears.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That's like saying we should pass on this kid because he has low set ears.  He does, but that's no reason to not draft him, unless there is an equal talent with normal ears.  

That is the worst analogy I have ever heard.

I'm talking about a player going to College for 4 years and then becoming a free agent, what is it with you and his damn ears ?

1 minute ago, AriGold said:

That is the worst analogy I have ever heard.

I'm talking about a player going to College for 4 years and then becoming a free agent, what is it with you and his damn ears ?

To me, your idea of avoiding college kids is just as crazy as my ears concept.  A successful team must draft the BPA.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

To me, your idea of avoiding college kids is just as crazy as my ears concept.  A successful team must draft the BPA.  

I'm not talking about top 10 or top 20 players.

I'm talking after the 1st round..

Example, Joey Anderson is ranked to go 58th overall in the 2016 draft. I would much rather take Boris Katchouk who is ranked to go 59th. 

How about a dose of reality to put this argument against drafting college-bound kids into perspective? A recent study reveals that 30% of current NHL players come from the college ranks. So, you're willing to just give up on 30% of the prospect field because of your paranoia? And, as far as not drafting USHL prospects is concerned - you really are nuts if you just delete them from your draft list. That would mean that we would no longer have our 2nd ranked prospect - Brock Boeser. Actually, I think it's reasonable to expect the number of American draftees to equal Canadian draftees very soon. And then what?

16 minutes ago, Orcasfan said:

How about a dose of reality to put this argument against drafting college-bound kids into perspective? A recent study reveals that 30% of current NHL players come from the college ranks. So, you're willing to just give up on 30% of the prospect field because of your paranoia? And, as far as not drafting USHL prospects is concerned - you really are nuts if you just delete them from your draft list. That would mean that we would no longer have our 2nd ranked prospect - Brock Boeser. Actually, I think it's reasonable to expect the number of American draftees to equal Canadian draftees very soon. And then what?

Now let's put that 30% into perspective. Only 3 of the top 25 scorers this year spent time at the college level. That's 12%. I'm not saying tof avoid college players completely or to avoid them at all. But the 30% argument is blown out of proportion.  The only reason they have that 30% is due to the rediculous amount of college teams. It's quantity. We're looking for quality. 

Carry on.

Archived