The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ted Nolan/Dominik Hasek

whcanuck

Hey guys

So I was just doing some reading about the old Buffalo Sabres teams of the mid to late 90s, and I never knew why Lindy Ruff replaced Ted Nolan as their coach. Found out that Dominik Hasek (who won the first of his back to back Hart Trophies in 1997, the same year Nolan won the Jack Adams) didn't like him. As a result Nolan wasn't retained as Hasek's word as league MVP, justified or not, carried a ton of weight and he forced the Sabres hand. Does anyone know the reason why Hasek didn't like him? (Keep in mind I'm aware Hasek has a reputation for being a bit of a prima donna)

45 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

Hey guys

So I was just doing some reading about the old Buffalo Sabres teams of the mid to late 90s, and I never knew why Lindy Ruff replaced Ted Nolan as their coach. Found out that Dominik Hasek (who won the first of his back to back Hart Trophies in 1997, the same year Nolan won the Jack Adams) didn't like him. As a result Nolan wasn't retained as Hasek's word as league MVP, justified or not, carried a ton of weight and he forced the Sabres hand. Does anyone know the reason why Hasek didn't like him? (Keep in mind I'm aware Hasek has a reputation for being a bit of a prima donna)

The reason for his firing was much different than Hasek not liking him, much more interesting in fact....

I remember it very well. John Muckler was the GM and Ted Nolan the coach. Muckler was an old school hockey man, he had a lot of respect in the hockey world and a very close relations with much of the NHL mgmt community. The NHL community is still a very tight community. These relations have been in place for decades, it was even more so the case back then. 

Nolan tried to advance his own personal interests and in the process tried to take out Muckler. He weaseled his way to becoming close to the owners and eventually tried to get Muckler fired and take over the team.

It was an attempted coup d'etat.

Nolan failed and was fired. He was blacklisted by all other NHL management teams. Even though he had done a real good job with BUF Nolan couldn't get a job in the NHL. He toiled in the minors for many years. After a very, very long time he was given another chance in the NHL. It was out there that he was up to his old tricks again in Long Island but I"m not sure how much truth there is to that.

There was talk after he got run out of BUF that he was given an offer to coach some other place, quietly it was said that was not really the truth and he really wasn't offered the job. It was alleged that the job offer news was propaganda for public consumption because allegations of racism by "white GMs" vs "Aboriginal Nolan" had surfaced. Basically it was alleged white GM weren't giving a Native man a head coach job because they were racists. 

Basically Nolan did it to himself, he backstabbed Muckler, too bad for him the Muckler happened to be a very respected and connected member of the NHL community. 

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The reason for his firing was much different than Hasek not liking him, much more interesting in fact....

I remember it very well. John Muckler was the GM and Ted Nolan the coach. Muckler was an old school hockey man, he had a lot of respect in the hockey world and a very close relations with much of the NHL mgmt community. The NHL community is still a very tight community. These relations have been in place for decades, it was even more so the case back then. 

Nolan tried to advance his own personal interests and in the process tried to take out Muckler. He weaseled his way to becoming close to the owners and eventually tried to get Muckler fired and take over the team.

It was an attempted coup d'etat.

Nolan failed and was fired. He was blacklisted by all other NHL management teams. Even though he had done a real good job with BUF Nolan couldn't get a job in the NHL. He toiled in the minors for many years. After a very, very long time he was given another chance in the NHL. It was out there that he was up to his old tricks again in Long Island but I"m not sure how much truth there is to that.

There was talk after he got run out of BUF that he was given an offer to coach some other place, quietly it was said that was not really the truth and he really wasn't offered the job. It was alleged that the job offer news was propaganda for public consumption because allegations of racism by "white GMs" vs "Aboriginal Nolan" had surfaced. Basically it was alleged white GM weren't giving a Native man a head coach job because they were racists. 

Basically Nolan did it to himself, he backstabbed Muckler, too bad for him the Muckler happened to be a very respected and connected member of the NHL community. 

You have some of this right but some of it wrong as well.  I'd get into it but I've addressed the subject several times and written a lot about it so an advanced search of Nolan's name coupled with me as the poster in the search should end up bring up the past posts.

I think the last one I wrote after Nolan was fired was pretty lengthy and detailed if I remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

You have some of this right but some of it wrong as well.  I'd get into it but I've addressed the subject several times and written a lot about it so an advanced search of Nolan's name coupled with me as the poster in the search should end up bring up the past posts.

I think the last one I wrote after Nolan was fired was pretty lengthy and detailed if I remember correctly.

Yah, I'm not sure I"ve read your posts and I don't find the subject important enough to go search your previous posts. I just came across a question and answered it from memory. 

So do you remember the story from back then or did you google it, read articles and summarise them for us?

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yah, I'm not sure I"ve read your posts and I don't find the subject important enough to go search your previous posts. I just came across a question and answered it from memory. 

So do you remember the story from back then or did you google it, read articles and summarise them for us?

I remember it very well.  I'm 42 years old so I was an adult when it happened.  Nolan did take Muckler down with him.  Nolan was actually never fired.  That's why he got the reputation as a "GM killer".  When Darcy Regier replaced Muckler as the GM he offered Nolan a contract that he knew that Nolan would refuse to accept.  Nolan had just won coach of the year and Regier wanted him gone anyways.

There was a fan protest in front of the old Memorial Auditorium because of what happened to Nolan.  Even one of the Knox brother's widow showed up to the protest, but it was too late because Nolan was gone and Regier was ready to hire Lindy Ruff.

17 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I remember it very well.  I'm 42 years old so I was an adult when it happened.  Nolan did take Muckler down with him.  Nolan was actually never fired.  That's why he got the reputation as a "GM killer".  When Darcy Regier replaced Muckler as the GM he offered Nolan a contract that he knew that Nolan would refuse to accept.  Nolan had just won coach of the year and Regier wanted him gone anyways.

There was a fan protest in front of the old Memorial Auditorium because of what happened to Nolan.  Even one of the Knox brother's widow showed up to the protest, but it was too late because Nolan was gone and Regier was ready to hire Lindy Ruff.

Perfect. Brings a bit more memory back from me. Yeah I'm about same age as you so that's why I remember it. 

I'll  defer to you because you being from Buffalo and being a buffalo fan would have a better memory of it.

But the basics are pretty much the same. 

Nolan got home self blacklisted. 

19 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I Thought Nolan andba affair with Haseks wife?

12 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Interesting this was made right after I saw on Facebook yesterday about players sleeping with other players wife's, with Kesler/ Schneider on that list stating Schneider walked in on kesler doing the dirty deed. Anyways someone else wrote about Nolan and Haseks wife yesterday....

Did this really happen or is it a team1040 rumor

Archived