The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Listening To...Canadian Edition.

Rate this topic

@Ghostsof1915 @RUPERTKBD Rkbd  I thought you might be interested in this since I’m sure your well aware of the story. Winters green aka; trooper. Just prior to the name change, winters green was a bar band originally from van but was the house band (1.5 yrs) at the Rupert hotel in the underground nite club ,troopers made numerous trips  back always remaining faithful to the roots of their existence ,the 1st song Santa Maria I’m posting was based off a true story and dedicated to rupert by the band it’s about a drunken weekend  and a bunch of local fisherman ( patty Green and crew ) taking the band out to tugwell island a local camping/party beach the 2nd song I just discovered and couldn’t find any other winters green material. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1
19 minutes ago, chon derry said:

@Ghostsof1915 @RUPERTKBD Rkbd  I thought you might be interested in this since I’m sure your well aware of the story. Winters green aka; trooper. Just prior to the name change, winters green was a bar band originally from van but was the house band (1.5 yrs) at the Rupert hotel in the underground nite club ,troopers made numerous trips  back always remaining faithful to the roots of their existence ,the 1st song Santa Maria I’m posting was based off a true story and dedicated to rupert by the band it’s about a drunken weekend  and a bunch of local fisherman ( patty Green and crew ) taking the band out to tugwell island a local camping/party beach the 2nd song I just discovered and couldn’t find any other winters green material. 

I know the Santa Maria story quite well. I used to play in a band with Paddy's nephew, Mike Greene.

I've played that song more times than I can remember. In fact, I've probably played half of Trooper's set list over the years....

BTW: I also opened for Trooper once. It was a club called Sizzles in Kelowna. By that time, Ra and Smitty were the only original members left.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I can't get any confirmation but I think Trooper was co-owners of the Starfish Room in Vancouver. (I loved that venue, RIP)

Because any band I went to see perform there. Trooper always was the house band to open up for them.

I met ray mcguire in 1988 while doing a household move for the provinces music critic Tom Harrison who recently passed. He was married to Carrie Marshall leasure  columnist. Tom and Carrie bought rays burnaby house moving out of their Davie st. artist style loft. He had a couple of hundred boxes of LPs. I’ve never seen such a big collection as that. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know the Santa Maria story quite well. I used to play in a band with Paddy's nephew, Mike Greene.

I've played that song more times than I can remember. In fact, I've probably played half of Trooper's set list over the years....

BTW: I also opened for Trooper once. It was a club called Sizzles in Kelowna. By that time, Ra and Smitty were the only original members left.

Thats right I know mike. Good buds with my bud grant O. 

• Cheers 1
2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Thats right I know mike. Good buds with my bud grant O. 

Yep. I know Grant as well. Apparently he plays as well, although I know him more from playing golf.

His younger brother Karl is a player too. I've been on stage with him before, but we've never been in the same band.

• Cheers 1
Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW: This is the most underrated Trooper song, IMO. The audio quality sucks (1975 recording) but you get the idea:

Wow i bought this album shorty after BTOs not fragile album what caught my attention was Bachman produced it. Shortly after this release they came and played the civic with a band called the Karroll brothers band. They were quite good too 

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. I know Grant as well. Apparently he plays as well, although I know him more from playing golf.

His younger brother Karl is a player too. I've been on stage with him before, but we've never been in the same band.

Grant and Carl’s father owned lindsays cartage. My first boss. 

• Cheers 1

Of course if we're talking Canadian music and Trooper, we have to include this gem (and yes, I've played this one too)

It's funny, because in the lyircs Ra sings "She was onto Tommy like a cheap suit"....he's talking about drummer Tommy Stewart. I saw Trooper at the Rock Pit in PG and Tommy was completely wasted.....still managed to play okay, but it's a good thing drummers sit down when they're playing....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

@RUPERTKBD did you know Danny and joey McLean ? They owned the apartment complex by sollys pub after selling it they went on to owning the town pump in gas town. I was there one nite visiting joey he was my age and I know him. In walks Gerry B. Lonnie and Ian’s sister she was working next door at the lamplighter. You might remember Rick anaka , dyrns dad. She worked at the Belmont drove a Harley he was the bar tender up stairs in the Rupert. He came to run the bar after the infamous poker game that saw mr bond losing rights to the bar for a year. Anyway I went next door to the lamplighter and there was Rick and dyrn , and Gerry once again. All these Rupert connections in one little area was too much. I could see myself getting into trouble that winter.  Of course that’s exactly what happened by the spring of 89 I was back in Rupert to dry out. Lol 

3 minutes ago, chon derry said:

@RUPERTKBD did you know Danny and joey McLean ? They owned the apartment complex by sollys pub after selling it they went on to owning the town pump in gas town. I was there one nite visiting joey he was my age and I know him. In walks Gerry B. Lonnie and Ian’s sister she was working next door at the lamplighter. You might remember Rick anaka , dyrns dad. She worked at the Belmont drove a Harley he was the bar tender up stairs in the Rupert. He came to run the bar after the infamous poker game that saw mr bond losing rights to the bar for a year. Anyway I went next door to the lamplighter and there was Rick and dyrn , and Gerry once again. All these Rupert connections in one little area was too much. I could see myself getting into trouble that winter.  Of course that’s exactly what happened by the spring of 89 I was back in Rupert to dry out. Lol 

I met Danny a couple of times, but if we ran into each other today, we wouldn't recognize each other. Never met Joey.

The Lamplighter was already gone by the time I got to PR. (As was TJ's) Obviously I know Lonni, Ian and Geri, but I don't recognize those other names.