The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

it is time to make room for these young guys

if I am willie, I have to tell Hansen and Matthias they risk losing their jobs if vey, jensen, shink, horvat continue to out play them by such a large margin.

Burrows has been a little sleepy but he needs time to still be evaluated.

Vey needs to work on his defence so I'd move him to the wing.

sedin sedin vebrata

Shink Bonino Vey

Burrows Horvat Kassian

Higgins Richardsson Dorsett

yes, that 2nd line is green, but these guys are the top producers so far so they deserve a shot. Lots of youth in this group, good mix, 4 lines that can play.

Jensen in Utica until he learns how to not take penalties 200 feet from his net

Matthias or Hansen is traded along with Markstrom for picks, I don't care if we only get 3rd, 4th for Markstrom and Hansen. Get rid of useless cap.

lets be honest, we got nothing for luongo, lets just trim the fat so they do not take up space our young players could benefit from

I thought Horvat looked solid tonight. Nothing too flashy but good positioning and sound play. And he seems to get better later in the game, which is good to see.

Does anyone one if he makes the team, does it count as one of his 9 games if he doesn't dress?

To count towards their 9 games they need to be dressed. Scratched in the press box doesn't count.

My opinion of Bo after a few pre season games is that he is losing the battle for any available roster spot. He is underperforming, but at the same time it is early and I believe he can pick it up notch or 3. I would love for him to make the team, but he first has to make the team.

I hope he stops the slow motion toe drags sooner rather than later.

My opinion of Bo after a few pre season games is that he is losing the battle for any available roster spot. He is underperforming, but at the same time it is early and I believe he can pick it up notch or 3. I would love for him to make the team, but he first has to make the team.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Don't know what either of you are talking about. He's winning faceoffs, well positioned, making plays and is showing flashes of moderate offense when opportunities arise.

IMO, He's played on par with Richardson and Vey.

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Vey

Higgins, Horvat, Kassian

Matthias, Richardson, Hansen/Dorsett

Dorsett/Hansen

Vey/Kas can swap as their play dictates.

• Upvote 1

Don't know what either of you are talking about. He's winning faceoffs, well positioned, making plays and is showing flashes of moderate offense when opportunities arise.

IMO, He's played on par with Richardson and Vey.

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Vey

Higgins, Horvat, Kassian

Matthias, Richardson, Hansen/Dorsett

Dorsett/Hansen

Vey/Kas can swap as their play dictates.

Based on the preseason so far, I'd be surprised if neither Jensen or Shinkaruk is on the opening day roster.

Their waiver ineligibility makes them easy targets to send to Utica. But for a team that has notorious problems with secondary scoring, that is no doubt hoping for a good start to bring the fans back, leaving two of the best snipers on the farm team is going to be difficult.

He's not on par with Richardson or Vey imo. Vey brings a lot more offense, and Richardson is better on defense. Horvat is somewhere in the middle of the two, but he doesn't do anything exceptionally well at this point to justify being "on par" with either guys.

Bo can play sound defense and sometimes contribute, but that slight increase in offense doesn't put him on par with a guy like Richardson who is better defensively and on faceoffs, and that slight increase on defense doesn't put him on par with a guy like Vey who brings speed and skill. Having Vey and Richardson center 3C and 4C gives us a better alternative where, if we're down by 1, we have the option of playing the offensive line with Vey more, or if we're up by 1, we have the option of playing the defensive line with Richardson more.

Edited by Dasein

He's not on par with Richardson or Vey imo. Vey brings a lot more offense, and Richardson is better on defense. Horvat is somewhere in the middle of the two, but he doesn't do anything exceptionally well at this point to justify being "on par" with either guys.

Bo can play sound defense and sometimes contribute, but that slight increase in offense doesn't put him on par with a guy like Richardson who is better defensively and on faceoffs, and that slight increase on defense doesn't put him on par with a guy like Vey who brings speed and skill. Having Vey and Richardson center 3C and 4C gives us a better alternative where, if we're down by 1, we have the option of playing the offensive line with Vey more, or if we're up by 1, we have the option of playing the defensive line with Richardson more.

Overall play level. As I said elsewhere:

IMO Horvat's played on par with Richardson and Vey (Vey bringing more offense and speed, Horvat better D, size and faceoffs).

Richardson brings more experience and perhaps a slight edge in faceoffs/d-play but less offense and size compared to Horvat.

I'm not saying they bring the same tools I'm saying they're all at the ~ same play level with their own respective skill sets (from what we've seen so far anyway).

Why not have all three on the team and utilize all of their talents...?

Edited by J.R.

Based on the preseason so far, I'd be surprised if neither Jensen or Shinkaruk is on the opening day roster.

Their waiver ineligibility makes them easy targets to send to Utica. But for a team that has notorious problems with secondary scoring, that is no doubt hoping for a good start to bring the fans back, leaving two of the best snipers on the farm team is going to be difficult.

Underlined is exactly why I see them going down. There has to be injuries and/or a trade IMO to make a spot for them and I would not be shocked at all to see one of our LW's traded at some point this season for just that.

Wow I think people really overestimate Richardson here (why am I surprise i'm on CDC after all)?.

Because Richardson was 55% on faceoff last since, you guys make him sound like he's better than Manny at it. Look back the past four years, Richardson was 48, 58, 50, 48. Nothing exceptionnal there, sub par 3 years, 1 good year and 1 slighty above average).

He's nowhere near close to Manny as well as a third center on a contender (SC finalist). Yes he was ok last year, centering a 3rd line at the end where we were virtually eliminated and all the pressure was off, but before that he was our 4th line center with Santorelli healthy.

Bo always dominated the faceoff at the junior and there was a question mark whether he could translate that to the NHL, unlike Hodgson who wasn't able to do it, so far at 60% in preseason is a really good indication, specially going against couture the other night.

It's hard to judge exactly where is Horvat now defensively but he hasn't look out of place and it can only get better.

If Horvat doesn't make the team it will be because Vey, Jensen really blew him out of the competition, otherwise Horvat needs to stick over guys like Hansen, Richardson, Matthias. (from what I saw so far, unless he really drop the ball in the rest of preseason).

Edited by timberz21

Underlined is exactly why I see them going down. There has to be injuries and/or a trade IMO to make a spot for them and I would not be shocked at all to see one of our LW's traded at some point this season for just that.

I see that happening sooner rather than later. Perhaps even just putting Sestito on waivers.

I see that happening sooner rather than later. Perhaps even just putting Sestito on waivers.

I see Sestito on waivers regardless at this rate. If Sestito's even our 13th forward, that means none of Horvat, Shinkaruk or Jensen made the team. If they keep playing the way they have, at LEAST one of them is starting the season here.

Bye Sestito.

I see Sestito on waivers regardless at this rate. If Sestito's even our 13th forward, that means none of Horvat, Shinkaruk or Jensen made the team. If they keep playing the way they have, at LEAST one of them is starting the season here.

Bye Sestito.

sestito is FROM utica, it's only natural he goes home to play this season. bye bye boxing hobo on skates.

Can Horvat stay with the big club for the 9 games and then maybe the Canucks can work a deal with Mark Crawford and send him to Mark.s team in Switzerland and let him get that experience if he doesn.t shine good enough in his 9 games. Just a honest question

No he would learn much more in the OHL than in Europe on a different ice, different philosophy. Then he has to readapt to North American hockey all over again.

I don't get the non-sense of "Bo's too good for the OHL, can't learn anything else". Well if he's not good enough for the NHL, i'm pretty sure he still has some thing to learn in the CHL. Perry, Getzlaf, Richards, Carter, Giroux, all spent 2 years in the OHL after their draft, and even spent time in the AHL, so i'm sure if Bo is not ready CHL is still the best option.

sestito is FROM utica, it's only natural he goes home to play this season. bye bye boxing hobo on skates.

And honestly if the team feels the need part way through the season for a Sestito-like skill set, they can either recall Sestito, Archibald, Lain etc or sign/trade for plug. Waiving Sestito is not the loss some people are making it out to be.

• Upvote 1