The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, it is absolutely easier said than done. It takes two to tango. And the fact that Bo is an RFA not a UFA isn't a "saving grace", it is a critical element of negotiating leverage that defines the entire shape of the negotiations.

Which is a saving grace JB fanboy.

Redeeming quality, good point, thing in its/one's favor, advantage, asset, selling point

a good quality that something or someone has that stops it (in this case, a final contract negotiation price) from being completely bad.

I'd honestly prefer to just sign the long-term contract now than risk the bridge deal.

If Horvat performs even better over the next couple of seasons, his negotiating team would likely ask for a more expensive contract at the end of that bridge than what he would sign for long-term right now. It happened to the Habs with PK Subban. 

In any event, Horvat's getting paid. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2017 at 11:42 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

So I was having a stroll on calgary puck because I wanted their take on the Tkachuk suspension, and I happened to see a Vancouver hate thread. First of all, nothing but class I assure you.....

Well that's not why im here. 

Im here because someone on there posted that no single canuck could "hold tkachuks jock strap" or something like that and it got me wondering....

Does this league know who Bo is? 

I mean I dont see a single player on calgary more complete, or more essential to a cup winning team, than Horvat. 

Monahan is fantastic for sure, I would love him on my team, but I don't even know if Id do a 1 for 1 for horvat.... it wouldn't take much to add but still.

Then you have gaudreau who is a phenomenal 1 dimensional player, who I would despise having in thé playoffs against the sharks, Kings,  blues , hawks, wild etc... because of the physical intensity of the post season...

I mean he's an elite player, but pass.

Then you have giordano who is an all star defensemen, but Im not entirely sold on him either. Hes amazing but I mean I wouldn't trade Horvat 1 for 1 either...

So all this to say, 

Horvat >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tkachuk 

And Vancouver >>>>>>> Calgary

Funny side note, Kiprusoff and the 2004 run is the reason I started playing hockey.

Good question. I kind of agree. I think Monahan isn't in the same mold as Horvat, the complete player type. He is much more dynamic offensive player though.

I think dynamic offensive talents like Gaudreau, Patrick Kane, and etc, they shine the brightest when supported by a complete player and Calgary doesn't quite have that. They might think they do in Monahan but I don't think so. In fact, they haven't had a great center player for a long time, as far as I remember... Iggy is probably the most complete player they have had but he was a winger. Before Iggy... I would have to go back to Nieuwendyk? I don't know, maybe someone who is more knowledgeable in Flames history can comment on this. 

For the Canucks, before Bo, there was Kesler, then before that Linden. Although many of you hate Kesler, I do think that Kesler is one of the main reasons why we were able to put up president's trophy caliber team. Henrik and Daniel could do their magic offensively and leave real hard and dirty work to Kesler. It helped that we had a coach that could line match like mad.

Also, note that in 94, we had Linden alongside dynamic offensive talent in Bure. In 2011, we had Kesler and offensive talents in Sedins. Now, we have Bo. One key piece is there. We  now just need an offensive player. If we do, I think we will definitely make at least one trip to the cup final. If we could also insert #1D and/or #1G, then we would make multiple trips to the cup final and will probably end up winning one.

I'm slightly optimistic of our future because of Horvat. A foundational piece for sure. And if Demko turns out as #1G and Juolevi becomes at least #2D and in 2017 draft, if we draft that offensive talent... A lot of ifs but those ifs are possible because of a sure thing in Bo Horvat. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

I'd honestly prefer to just sign the long-term contract now than risk the bridge deal.

If Horvat performs even better over the next couple of seasons, his negotiating team would likely ask for a more expensive contract at the end of that bridge than what he would sign for long-term right now. It happened to the Habs with PK Subban. 

Yep. At this point, no need for a bridge because Bo will improve for sure. I would to 8yrs in 5.5 to 6M range.

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Grace is unmerited favour, not accordance to the rules as they are constituted.

In a religious conversation, that would be the case, but you and I aren't talking about religion.  Grace has more than one meaning depending on its usage.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Good question. I kind of agree. I think Monahan isn't in the same mold as Horvat, the complete player type. He is much more dynamic offensive player though.

I think dynamic offensive talents like Gaudreau, Patrick Kane, and etc, they shine the brightest when supported by a complete player and Calgary doesn't quite have that.

Are you saying Monahan is more dynamic than Horvat?  I'd say the other way around -- Monahan accumulates more points but is often not noticeable and rather plain-Jane, whereas Horvat is always driving play and makes dynamic moves on the offensive end, whether an inside-out or Bo-drag.

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Grace is unmerited favour, not accordance to the rules as they are constituted.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

In a religious conversation, that would be the case, but you and I aren't talking about religion.  Grace has more than one meaning depending on its usage.

Just realized I said "you" when I meant @WeneedLumme.

Edited by SabreFan1

On 3/21/2017 at 11:42 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

So I was having a stroll on calgary puck because I wanted their take on the Tkachuk suspension, and I happened to see a Vancouver hate thread. First of all, nothing but class I assure you.....

Well that's not why im here. 

Im here because someone on there posted that no single canuck could "hold tkachuks jock strap" or something like that and it got me wondering....

Does this league know who Bo is? 

I mean I dont see a single player on calgary more complete, or more essential to a cup winning team, than Horvat. 

Monahan is fantastic for sure, I would love him on my team, but I don't even know if Id do a 1 for 1 for horvat.... it wouldn't take much to add but still.

Then you have gaudreau who is a phenomenal 1 dimensional player, who I would despise having in thé playoffs against the sharks, Kings,  blues , hawks, wild etc... because of the physical intensity of the post season...

I mean he's an elite player, but pass.

Then you have giordano who is an all star defensemen, but Im not entirely sold on him either. Hes amazing but I mean I wouldn't trade Horvat 1 for 1 either...

So all this to say, 

Horvat >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tkachuk 

And Vancouver >>>>>>> Calgary

Funny side note, Kiprusoff and the 2004 run is the reason I started playing hockey.

Well looking for any respect for a Canuck player on Calgary Puck would be like finding someone on CDC posting that CDC has good fans. It's a bias that has taken over

(Calgary would love Bo on their team and CDC has tons of awesome fans in case anyone misunderstands my point)

54 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

I'm pretty sure JB has already said that they're looking for a long-term deal for Bo. I'd expect 6-8 years at $6M+ per year.

Speaking of holding jockstraps, Monahan can't hold Horvat's jock strap. Don't get me wrong he is a good player, but benefits from playing with Johnny Hockey (fantastic scorer). Bo is literally better at all facets of the game with the exception of maybe his shot.  

Just now, ReggieBush said:

Speaking of holding jockstraps, Monahan can't hold Horvat's jock strap. Don't get me wrong he is a good player, but benefits from playing with Johnny Hockey (fantastic scorer). Bo is literally better at all facets of the game with the exception of maybe his shot.  

Totally agree about the Johnny Hockey helping Monahan's stat's line.  That's why I would love us to get Hischier.  I would love to see Bo with Hischier on his wing.  

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

Whatever you say trollboy. Sometime you should try actually negotiating. It's often a bit more difficult and complex than you think.

You know nothing about me.  Being in my 40's, it's safe to say that I've had to negotiate terms of employment more than once.

You know nothing about me.  Being in my 40's, it's safe to say that I've had to negotiate terms of employment more than once.

Well, I can see from your simplistic ideas about negotiations that whatever experience you have is extremely limited. 

Well, I can see from your simplistic ideas about negotiations that whatever experience you have is extremely limited. 

Again, you know nothing about me, but by just reading the last 2 days of your postings, I see you called 2 other people trolls because they weren't worshiping at the altar of Canuck fanboy-ism.

You lose all credibility however when you blatantly throw the accusation at someone who has been on the board for 5 years and has over 8,000 posts.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Again, you know nothing about me, but by just reading the last 2 days of your postings, I see you called 2 other people trolls because they weren't worshiping at the altar of Canuck fanboy-ism.

You lose all credibility however when you blatantly throw the accusation at someone who has been on the board for 5 years and has over 8,000 posts.

The term trollboy was in response to your use of the term "JB fanboy". "Fanboy" is a term used exclusively by trolls. Other than that, what I do know about you is that whatever knowledge you think you have about negotiations is minimal and most likely incorrect, based on the first post of yours to which I responded. And tenure on an Internet forum does not prove anything nor does it create credibility.

The term trollboy was in response to your use of the term "JB fanboy". "Fanboy" is a term used exclusively by trolls. Other than that, what I do know about you is that whatever knowledge you think you have about negotiations is minimal and most likely incorrect, based on the first post of yours to which I responded. And tenure on an Internet forum does not prove anything nor does it create credibility.

I'm not going to bother to continue to argue with an unashamed fanboy who likes to make things up in his fantasy world.  I could just go to the Donald Trump thread if I was interested in that.

I'm not going to bother to continue to argue with an unashamed fanboy who likes to make things up in his fantasy world.  I could just go to the Donald Trump thread if I was interested in that.

Yes, I can see that you don't like dealing with facts. Mildly curious to know what you think I "make up". But not enough to continue this. Feel free to scurry back under your bridge. Clowns who use the term "fanboy" aren't worth the time. Onto the ignore list for you. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, I can see that you don't like dealing with facts. Mildly curious to know what you think I "make up". But not enough to continue this. Feel free to scurry back under your bridge. Clowns who use the term "fanboy" aren't worth the time. Onto the ignore list for you. 

Another saving grace!