The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

that's so wrong man, we had the fewest shots on goal in the entire league.

What? The Canucks were 11th in the NHL with 30.8 shots per game last season.

I don't actually know which is correct, I do remember us outshooting our opponents more often than not though...

that's so wrong man, we had the fewest shots on goal in the entire league.

What? The Canucks were 11th in the NHL with 30.8 shots per game last season.

I don't actually know which is correct, I do remember us outshooting our opponents more often than not though...

Marchand is. Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSAAALL&sort=avgShotsPerGame&viewName=summary

Can anyone clarify some questions for me regarding Bo . If canucks get booted in round 1 , but Utica goes for a long playoff run . Does Bo have to go to London until they are out of Contention ? And if so will he be loaned to London to bolster their team for the playoffs?

there was an article that came out yesterday stating that both Edmonton and Calgary had offered way more than the 9th overall pick (which obviously turned out to be Bo). they gave a rundown on the alleged Edmonton offer, does anyone remember hearing about Calgary's offer?

there was an article that came out yesterday stating that both Edmonton and Calgary had offered way more than the 9th overall pick (which obviously turned out to be Bo). they gave a rundown on the alleged Edmonton offer, does anyone remember hearing about Calgary's offer?

At this point does it matter? We have a new regime here and a new direction.

This shouldn't even be in the Horvat thread because if we got Calgary's pick, we probably wouldn't even have drafted Horvat.

Isn't the first paragraph the definition of a 4th line role? Bo is playing that role as a 19-yr-old teenager playing in the best men's league - why would he not have confidence? If his confidence relies on his role on a team and playing big minutes, he should have been sent down to the OHL.

I would argue that Bo is being pushed everyday - he's playing against men as an 19-yr-old. He's not playing 3C because Richardson still has better game than he does.

He's learning not to make mistakes first because that is the most basic thing. Once his game improves, he'll get more minutes and start working on other aspects of the game. Also, just because he's learning not to make mistakes, doesn't mean that he can't learn anything else. He should still be able to learn other things on the fly.

If he turns out to be another Higgins because he was thrusted in this role as a 19-yr-old, then too bad. I guess we ruined his potential and therefore his development. He should have returned to the OHL to increase his offensive potential rather than stay in the NHL in a 4th line role where he has to play mistake-free hockey. And btw, Higgins' career high is 52 points - not bad if Bo can reach that and remain there consistently (the latter is what Higgins couldn't do).

Did you see Ekblad play? He wasn't "given" a chance to succeed - he earned it. This kid is amazing - he would be on our top pairing if he was on the Canucks. Gaudreau doesn't play 16 minutes without being a liability - but he can do things offensively that Horvat can only dream of at this point of his career. There is high reward to the relatively lower risk taken in playing Gaudreau 16 minutes - while less risk of playing Bo 16 minutes is much lesser, so is the reward. Bo isn't good enough to play those minutes because the reward is not high enough.

At any rate, I'm happy that he's doing well in his role and is coming along nicely.

Definitely. Not sure if it would matter much though, as it's less likely he gets more minutes in the playoffs - the trends show that Bo gets 10+ minutes in blowout games but less than 10 when it's a close/important game.

Yes he earned it, yes he's amazing, and i'm not asking Bo to be a 1st liner either. Ekblad, started the season playing 20 minutes a night, so at first (yes there was preseason) but still the kid was allowed to play and when he performed they just continue playing him. So, yes he was given a chance to play big minutes and when he succeeded and earned it, they continued playing him.

Yet, i'm not even asking Bo to be a permanent 3C. I just wished he would have been given at least 5-10 games out of 50 with at least 14-16 minutes of ice-time. Is that really too much to asked.

With Bo, we actually don't know what his limits are, but they were never tested. I,m not saying give him 3C blindly for the rest of the season. But he wasn't even given a taste of a top 9 role, which is ridiculous.

Filip Forsberg, didn't just miraculously started producing point on the fourth and then move on to 3rd, 2nd and 1st. He was put in a top 9 role from the start. Bo has never seen top 9 minutes, except in blow-out games.

• Upvote 1

Bo is really starting to look like he is comfortable in the league. Last game I noticed a few times that Bo was becoming a real leader of his line, even directing Kenins to go down low while he stayed in the neutral zone so he could interrupt a possible pass.

He was making passes that I haven't even seen him attempt before. I think his offensive game will pick up the pace a little bit, his confidence is sure coming through. Keep up the great play Bo and GCG !

Bo is really starting to look like he is comfortable in the league. Last game I noticed a few times that Bo was becoming a real leader of his line, even directing Kenins to go down low while he stayed in the neutral zone so he could interrupt a possible pass.

He was making passes that I haven't even seen him attempt before. I think his offensive game will pick up the pace a little bit, his confidence is sure coming through. Keep up the great play Bo and GCG !

Yea it's nice to see his progression as the season goes by. I'm pretty pumped to see him next year after a year under his belt. Full time third line C hopefully.

Can anyone clarify some questions for me regarding Bo . If canucks get booted in round 1 , but Utica goes for a long playoff run . Does Bo have to go to London until they are out of Contention ? And if so will he be loaned to London to bolster their team for the playoffs?

If London's still playing once the Canucks are done, Horvat can't be sent to Utica. He'd have to go to London in that case, but I'm not sure they'd send him back for that.

But it is good to see Horvat not just playing/working hard, but also having some impact. Let him keep doing what he's doing and it'll come naturally. He's already getting different linemates often enough so he doesn't so much need to be moved up and down the lineup, although he might get some increased opportunity during games.

If London's still playing once the Canucks are done, Horvat can't be sent to Utica. He'd have to go to London in that case, but I'm not sure they'd send him back for that.

But it is good to see Horvat not just playing/working hard, but also having some impact. Let him keep doing what he's doing and it'll come naturally. He's already getting different linemates often enough so he doesn't so much need to be moved up and down the lineup, although he might get some increased opportunity during games.

Why not? Zadorov is likely going to return after Buffalo's abysmal season to remember what winning feels like again. Add Horvat, a guy that can erase opposing top centers (at the junior level) while scoring, to that roster with dynamic scorers and you have an instant contender.

Horvat's Knights, Cassels' Generals, McCann's Greyhounds and McJesus's Erie - should be fun to see who comes out on top and I hope Bo is returned if our season is done and London is still playing.

Still missing that Memorial Cup.

Yes he earned it, yes he's amazing, and i'm not asking Bo to be a 1st liner either. Ekblad, started the season playing 20 minutes a night, so at first (yes there was preseason) but still the kid was allowed to play and when he performed they just continue playing him. So, yes he was given a chance to play big minutes and when he succeeded and earned it, they continued playing him.

Yet, i'm not even asking Bo to be a permanent 3C. I just wished he would have been given at least 5-10 games out of 50 with at least 14-16 minutes of ice-time. Is that really too much to asked.

With Bo, we actually don't know what his limits are, but they were never tested. I,m not saying give him 3C blindly for the rest of the season. But he wasn't even given a taste of a top 9 role, which is ridiculous.

Filip Forsberg, didn't just miraculously started producing point on the fourth and then move on to 3rd, 2nd and 1st. He was put in a top 9 role from the start. Bo has never seen top 9 minutes, except in blow-out games.

It is - Bo is #4 in the depth chart so it is too much to ask that we play our #4 guy top 9 minutes over a guy who is ahead of him in the dept chart. And we actually have a fairly good idea of what his limits are, and he's playing within them.

Even you admit that Bo has played top 9 minutes in blow-out games - yet he has not done anything with it to cement himself there. Those are the opportunities that you have to grab a hold of if you want to play more. Those meaningless games are where we measure Bo's game, and each time he hasn't impressed to a point where we would contemplate putting him in that role in a close game. As it stands, he's still #4 in the depth chart.

Forsberg? Not only is he a year older, he has a fairly productive year in the AHL as a 19-year-old before playing in the NHL this season.

Bo had a rough stretch earlier in the season - as expected of a 19-year-old rookie playing in the NHL. Since then, he has gotten back to playing really solid hockey and has improved quite a bit. I think he is knocking on the doors to be a 3C soon, but his offensive game isn't strong enough yet to warrant that. He is getting every day, and it may be sooner rather than later, but he hasn't earned it yet. Let the guy earn his minutes.

Watched the Horvat line pretty intently at the game last night. Horvat was solid except for one bad giveaway.

Kassian was good also but it's not good that Kenins was easily more physical in his 1st game.

kenins is more physical than kassian though?

I hear ya man, but it's the Canucks, never gonna happen. :P

He definitely should be getting a bit more ice time, especially in games where we have a 2 goal lead... Have no idea why his line was benched so much last night. If we're winning and the young guys are playing good, then give them more ice time. Rest the twins, they look pretty tired lately... if they're not tired, then they look like they're not trying half the time.

At this point does it matter? We have a new regime here and a new direction.

This shouldn't even be in the Horvat thread because if we got Calgary's pick, we probably wouldn't even have drafted Horvat.

Thanks for adding nothing to the discussion. You assume Calgary was offering their pick, is that something you happen to have heard? I'd actually be interested to know, which incidentally is why I posed the question in the first place.