The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I feel Horvat needs to improve his speed; he has great hockey iq, just needs to improve his skating.

Some people might not say that. "Horvat was third out of six competitors in the fastest skater event (a lap around the rink), with a time of 14. 679 seconds, behind winner Jannik Hansen (14. 352 seconds) and Shawn Matthias (14.477 seconds). " the Province Dec 15, 2014. Not bad for the new kid that needs to improve his speed! What makes you think he is slow?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+SuperSkills+event+nice+change+pace/10468676/story.html

Some people might not say that. "Horvat was third out of six competitors in the fastest skater event (a lap around the rink), with a time of 14. 679 seconds, behind winner Jannik Hansen (14. 352 seconds) and Shawn Matthias (14.477 seconds). " the Province Dec 15, 2014. Not bad for the new kid that needs to improve his speed! What makes you think he is slow?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+SuperSkills+event+nice+change+pace/10468676/story.html

Just when he enters the zone, he doesn't seem to have that explosiveness.

Just when he enters the zone, he doesn't seem to have that explosiveness.

I agree he hasn't really shown an explosiveness yet and maybe never will, but skating is not an issue. He is more than fast enough for the NHL and his game.

Not the best acceleration like Gauncer. Fast when they are at speed, but it takes some serious energy to get that body going where as Matthias, Virtanen, Hansen have that effortless acceleration.

I think he is faster than Gaunce and it does not take him that long to get up to speed. IF it takes you a while to get up to speed, you couldn't come in third in the skills competition. His speed is about the same as a guy like Matthias who you consider effortless. He was only .2 of a second longer than Matthias over an entire lap. The difference is only 1.3%, not really that measurable, and you guys think you can tell the difference with your eyes, right.

Anyone catch what Garrett was saying during tonight's game vs SJS that Getzlaf said about Bo the other night?

It was a discussion about Getzlaf riding the ref, not Bo. After Getzlaf lost a couple of face off's early to Horvat he complained that Horvat was cheating. Did not have his stick down. So the ref warned Horvat.

Then Getzlaf immediately won a clean draw and Anaheim scored straight off it. Where Bo had no chance to set up as he would like. In between games Horvat made mention he had no leeway with the ref and would have to earn his stripes with NHL ref's before he could get involved. He could chat to OHL ref's like Getzlaf did and be effective, but he did not have that respect yet here...

Pretty savvy for a rookie, but he was had on that play.

Maybe thats why suddenly he was taking no draws, and we saw all Hank, in the third tonight?

edit: after Horvat and his line with Dorsett and Burrows were very good to start the game. They scored, but clearly were our best line, had the most jump in the 1st period. And were still good in the 2knd...

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Upvote 1

It was a discussion about Getzlaf riding the ref, not Bo. After Getzlaf lost a couple of face off's early to Horvat he complained that Horvat was cheating. Did not have his stick down. So the ref warned Horvat.

Then Getzlaf immediately won a clean draw and Anaheim scored straight off the it. Where Bo had no chance to set up as he would like. In between games Horvat made mention he had no leeway with the ref and would have to earn his stripes with NHL ref's before he could get involved. He could chat to OHL ref's like Getzlaf did and be effective, but he did not have that respect yet here...

Pretty savvy for a rookie, but he was had on that play.

Maybe thats why suddenly he was taking no draws, and we saw all Hank, in the third tonight?

Interesting.

I don't think that's why Bo was not taking draws in the 3rd tonight (or even playing). Bo was 25% (3/12), and his only wins came against Andrew Desjardins (SJS 4C). He lost every draw against the SJS top 6 centers - probably the reason WD chose to sit the rookie in the 3rd.

Bo wasn't great on draws in ANA either - just 30% (3/10). Despite this, WD had Bo out there in the 3rd in a 1-0 game and showed some trust. Unfortunately, WD and Bo got burned (by that Getzlaf play you're talking about). So with Bo going only 25% and not winning any draws against the SJS top 6 centers, WD wasn't going to take another chance tonight.

It's tougher for centers to win faceoffs on the road - Bo is now 47.79% away from Rogers Arena (61.25% at home - 52.8% overall). I think this is where the youth shows itself, which is why WD has been sheltering him, it seems. He's still good for ~10 minutes per game and contributing - we have to remember that he's only 19 and still developing.

Edited by Dasein

Interesting.

I don't think that's why Bo was not taking draws in the 3rd tonight (or even playing). Bo was 25% (3/12), and his only wins came against Andrew Desjardins (SJS 4C). He lost every draw against the SJS top 6 centers - probably the reason WD chose to sit the rookie in the 3rd.

Bo wasn't great on draws in ANA either - just 30% (3/10). Despite this, WD had Bo out there in the 3rd in a 1-0 game and showed some trust. Unfortunately, WD and Bo got burned (by that Getzlaf play you're talking about). So with Bo going only 25% and not winning any draws against the SJS top 6 centers, WD wasn't going to take another chance tonight.

It's tougher for centers to win faceoffs on the road - Bo is now below 47.79% away from Rogers Arena (61.25% at home - 52.8% overall). I think this is where the youth shows itself, which is why WD has been sheltering him, it seems. He's still good for ~10 minutes per game and contributing - we have to remember that he's only 19 and still developing.

Yeah makes sense. Good post and discussion on it.

We'll see how Bo goes on the road with draws. One of those underlying plots...

• Upvote 1

i wonder how well Bo would have done at the WJC this year?

would have been nice to see him in that setting and how he compared to Max Domi.

Domi looked great....after seeing him in this tourney, does anybody wish we had selected him over Bo?

Probably a lock at the 3rd C spot. Having moved Kesler drafting Horvat looks a lot more better so no I wouldn't of drafted Domi.

i wonder how well Bo would have done at the WJC this year?

would have been nice to see him in that setting and how he compared to Max Domi.

Domi looked great....after seeing him in this tourney, does anybody wish we had selected him over Bo?

not me.

Horvat made the NHL. Domi couldn't make a weak Phoenix team. That alone speaks for itself, and If Vancouver did Loan Horvat, he will be the captain, I am almost certain.

My guess is bo would have been playing in the spot of gauthier. Defensive zone face offs and mostly 3rd line. It would have been cool to see him lined up with virtanen though. Maybe a sneak peak into the future :)

Domi - Reinhardt - Duclair

Lazar - Mcdavid - Petan

Fabbri - Horvat - Virtanen

Ritchie - Paul - Crouse

Point

That would have been fun to watch too.