The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't see the ascendance of smaller players you are talking about. Sure there are some outstanding smaller players but overall I see bigger players. If nothing else the Oiler playoff run is clearly showing what big, fast and physical players can do. IMHO the Oilers beat the Sharks physically and then simply finished them off on the score sheet. The Ducks are much bigger but I suspect the Oiler speed will wear them down as well.

It's also showing what having the best player in the world on your team can do. Kane is an instrumental piece of the Hawks dynasty and they would not be where they are without him. Chicago doesn't play a huge game what so

ever. The trend in the league is fast and skilled and their are a handful of players (and are difference makers) who support this.

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Gosh that's alot of Cottonelle in that line-up 

Trade for Adam Lowry and their 1st (12th) with the Jets for Tanev and our 2nd (Columbus) (54th).

We get a 6'5" 210 lb big nasty forward who had a decent goal scoring season (15 goals) on the upswing and the 12th-13th overall pick then pick either a centre or D man based on our pick at 1-5?  Winnipeg gets a top pairing calm defensive defenceman in his prime that they desperately need and still a decent pick in the 2nd round.  Winnipeg doesn't need anymore scoring depth or big nasty players... they have a team full of them.  This trade is based on Winnipeg not winning the lottery.

I think it works for both teams.  We could trade our 2nd #33 pick instead of #54 I just think that is too much to give to move up to 12th?  Thoughts guys?  I think our forward group could use a Lowry type forward.

13 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Playmaking centre = CM

pp QB = Makar

Not sure how Cm is a playmaking center when most scouts now have him pegged as a winger now as he enters the NHL.

If we want a playmaking center it is Hischier or Glass

I don't get the point of spinning the lottery multiple times over- the odds are the odds.

The Canucks have a 1 in 8 chance at 1st and essentially even money between Top 3, 4th or 5th.

... you are also talking to a guy who believes in odds over luck. I know, I get it, it's like a slot machine (which I can never get into).

Our chances are below:
Screen-Shot-2017-04-13-at-11.09.11-AM-1.png

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably. But I don't really see it as an either/or situation between Makar and Subban. They would be competing for different spots, likely at opposite ends of the D order.

And even if we had a bunch of undersized Ds in the system, I'd still be intrigued by Makar's high end potential. I like Subban but I don't see him having anywhere near the same upside. And I don't believe we have any Ds currently with the potential to develop into the kind of player Makar might become.

It's more that I don't see a defence corps with all three of Stecher, Makar, and Subban.  I suppose they could pair each up with a Gudbranson type or even Juolevi, but that's projecting to be a pretty lightweight unit.  All that being said, if a Makar is the BPA then you take him and resolve other issues it may cause afterwards.

28 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Playmaking centre = CM

pp QB = Makar

I think they get too focused on team need rather than picking simply BPA.  They should be smart like the pred and just pick the best player like when they took jones despite not needing another D.  I bet they are glad they didn't decide to go with team need and take lindholm at center instead.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not sure how Cm is a playmaking center when most scouts now have him pegged as a winger now as he enters the NHL.

If we want a playmaking center it is Hischier or Glass

I've only recently heard Mittelstadt being pegged as a winger, I am not certain where it comes from. He looks like a center to me but I am in no way a scout and will always defer to their judgement. He seems to have the right size and mobility for it.

Do you know what it is? Is it his ability to backcheck down low or more of a fitness/endurance thing since centers generally need to skate so much more than wingers? At the very least he appears to have the brain for it...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scruffy05 said:

I've only recently heard Mittelstadt being pegged as a winger, I am not certain where it comes from. He looks like a center to me but I am in no way a scout and will always defer to their judgement. He seems to have the right size and mobility for it.

Do you know what it is? Is it his ability to backcheck down low or more of a fitness/endurance thing since centers generally need to skate so much more than wingers? At the very least he appears to have the brain for it...

I'm not sure, I am thinking ti is coming from the same group that swear Vilardi is a winger as well.

I do know Vilardi has far more appeal to me personally, and will be a full time center in Windsor after his top line graduates into the pro leagues though

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think they get too focused on team need rather than picking simply BPA.  They should be smart like the pred and just pick the best player like when they took jones despite not needing another D.  I bet they are glad they didn't decide to go with team need and take lindholm at center instead.

They're all equally BPA though. When you have like 7 guys basically on par, you look at things personality, team need etc.

3 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

Only person who has said CM is a future W is Craig Button, who was merely stating his opinion

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

From the video:

1. They have their top-5 set already

2. Play-making centerman or PPQB (i.e. no Tippett)

3. Didn't tip his hand on Patrick/Hischier, but did say Hischier "is built for today's game" although Patrick "has no real weakness in his game"

Interesting enough, the fact that he mentioned the PPQB at all indicates that one of his 5 is either Lilejegren, Makar or Heiskenan which omits one of Glass, Mittelstadt or Vilardi... Unless they are rated 6-10 and he is using 'top 5' as a shorthand for 'best players' which happens a lot. Makes a perverse kind of sense when there is much scout disagreement and the players are this close and your top 5 contains 7 or 8 players that interchange depending on the weather it is fruitless to try to pick between them anyways.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm not sure, I am thinking ti is coming from the same group that swear Vilardi is a winger as well.

I do know Vilardi has far more appeal to me personally, and will be a full time center in Windsor after his top line graduates into the pro leagues though

For Vilardi I think the concern is his feet- my understanding is that if he managed to tick up his first couple steps a notch he would be a lock for center but, if not, a guy his size banging down the wings is not a terrible thing to have. I believe centers need to be more quick than fast. Still, he is plenty quick for his size.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They're all equally BPA though. When you have like 7 guys basically on par, you look at things personality, team need etc.

Not according to general scouting consensus reports.  I wouldn't touch Makar in the top 5. Only 2 of the 13 top end reports have him in the top 10. 

Ever year we’ve had a top pick it’s been team need instead of taking BPA.

2014 took Virtanen because they felt the team needed size.  Meanwhile Nylander was ranked high on 10 of 13 top end reports and they went with team need.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

2016 took Juolevi because they wanted a young D.  Meanwhile Tkachuk was ranked high on all 13 of 13 top ranking reports and they went with team need.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

Are they bad picks? No, but they aren't necessarily maximizing the asset.  We'd almost be better off just going with the general consensus on BPA than factoring in our team needs. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not according to general scouting consensus reports.  I wouldn't touch Makar in the top 5. Only 2 of the 13 top end reports have him in the top 10. 

Ever year we’ve had a top pick it’s been team need instead of taking BPA.

2014 took Virtanen because they felt the team needed size.  Meanwhile Nylander was ranked high on 10 of 13 top end reports and they went with team need.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

2016 took Juolevi because they wanted a young D.  Meanwhile Tkachuk was ranked high on all 13 of 13 top ranking reports and they went with team need.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

Are they bad picks? No, but they aren't necessarily maximizing the asset.  We'd almost be better off just going with the general consensus on BPA than factoring in our team needs. 

Boesser? 

Ran the simulator once after running it a few times earlier in the morning and will stick with it. Hopefully it will be similar to the results tomorrow if not better!

1. Colorado

2. Vegas

3. Vancouver

ill be happy with this any day. Watched Vilardi's highlights from last season's and he looks incredible. Really confident he's going to turn into a Pavelski type of player which is something we could use. He's a good playmaker and controls the puck really well. He can finish any loose pucks lying in the slot and any rebounds with ease. Has a really nice shot and release. If we end up drafting him, I'll be very pleased and say we would come away with a good NHL player down the road for the team. Really excited for tomorrow 

• Upvote 1