The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Vilardi could look good on DAL too. I think it's between those two for them (or they trade it for a ready player).

COL could really go either way on D/forward. Guessing they take Heisk but I'm sure not putting any money on that.

Leaning Glass/Necas for the Canucks as well.

No idea who I'm taking at 4 in GML :lol:

Past 2 it's WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE open. I'd honestly not be surprised at just about anything, including some of the guys ranked in that 10-15 window jumping in to the 7-10 spots.

Anything can happen but if I'm betting that's the way it'll go down.

Fair arguments can go either way for Glass or Necas to the Canucks in my mind. I think Vilardi slips.

For GML, gotta see who is taken first, play it fast and loose. You'll have a good player and doubts. Need to live with that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, theminister said:

Mittelstadt.

They need the C badly. Bonus points for being American in the Texas market. They need a new Modano.

The Modano/Minnesota connection is certainly there.

27 minutes ago, theminister said:

I'm convinced Dallas takes CM and Colorado likely takes a D leaving a wide range of options for the Canucks.

For me it's either Glass or Necas. Outside chance for Liljegren if COL takes Heiskanen.

If your right then we will take Vilardi or Glass. I don't see us taking Necas. We have too many smallish forwards as it is. 

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

If your right then we will take Vilardi or Glass. I don't see us taking Necas. We have too many smallish forwards as it is. 

By most accounts, Necas enjoys playing a more physical game.  A huge advantage to drafting him, is that he could come over, right away, and play in Utica.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

By most accounts, Necas enjoys playing a more physical game.  A huge advantage to drafting him, is that he could come over, right away, and play in Utica.  

He might play a physical game but he's still small for a centre. Especially when we have a plethora of smaller guys already. Vilardi and Glass  give us some size up the middle with Horvat. If I'm wrong at the draft I'll admit I'm wrong but I don't see that happening.

Edited by messier's_elbow

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

He might play a physical game but he's still small for a centre. Especially when we have a plethora of smaller guys already. Vilardi and Glass  give us some size up the middle with Horvat. If I'm wrong at the draft I'll admit I'm wrong but I don't see that happening.

I like the size aspect of Glass as well, but if the skill of Necas is as high as it appears to be, AND he projects to be a C in the NHL, I think we really need to look at him.  Unlike high-skill guys like Nylander and Ehlers who are likely to remain wingers, he does have a physical component to his game.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, theminister said:

1) Necas won't be small. 

2) Vilardi won't be taken by the Canucks unless they are 100% convinced he is a offensive C.

3) The Canucks haven't had a C with Necas' offensive upside in a very long time.

4) None of us can say for certainty who will take who. I'd leave the door open to Patrick slipping to 5th. If it can happen to Jones, Puljujarvi and Hanifin it can happen to Patrick.

How many points would Necas have put up if playing in the Q this season, like Hischier?  Is there really a lot of separation between them?

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

I don't think that his stature would be an issue at this point...The Canucks have the luxury of giving these guys time to grow,we're not in a 'win-now' mode...The same could be said for Makar...The hardest part for the scouts is looking into the future and predicting who will be the "legit" 1C..or "top pairing "D man.......

10 minutes ago, theminister said:

1) Necas won't be small. 

2) Vilardi won't be taken by the Canucks unless they are 100% convinced he is a offensive C.

3) The Canucks haven't had a C with Necas' offensive upside in a very long time.

4) None of us can say for certainty who will take who. I'd leave the door open to Patrick slipping to 5th. If it can happen to Jones, Puljujarvi and Hanifin it can happen to Patrick.

So in the same post you say Necas who is on the smaller side for an NHL centre will play centre but Vilardi won't? Vilardi will play centre next season on Windsor. Necas might turn out great but guys with his size and skill set usually get shifted to wing.

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I like the size aspect of Glass as well, but if the skill of Necas is as high as it appears to be, AND he projects to be a C in the NHL, I think we really need to look at him.  Unlike high-skill guys like Nylander and Ehlers who are likely to remain wingers, he does have a physical component to his game.

They are rough comparisons but it's a choice between Getzlaf and Giroux. Or Schiefele or Kuznetsov. Or Johansen or Backstrom. 

Pick your comparison. Pick your poison. 

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Necas is a great skater I'll give him that, but his shot isn't that great and his numbers aren't top 5 worthy. Yes I know he plays in a men's league.

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

So in the same post you say Necas who is on the smaller side for an NHL centre will play centre but Vilardi won't? Vilardi will play centre next season on Windsor. Necas might turn out great but guys with his size and skill set usually get shifted to wing.

I don't follow your logic at all.

It's about skating at C, not size. 

That last statement is completely incorrect. Some do, not usually.

2 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Necas is a great skater I'll give him that, but his shot isn't that great and his numbers aren't top 5 worthy. Yes I know he plays in a men's league.

Then why are you mentioning stats? How does scoring work in the Czech league? You don't draft on stats, you draft on skills.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theminister said:

I don't follow your logic at all.

It's about skating at C, not size. 

That last statement is completely incorrect. Some do, not usually.

If we take Necas I'll learn to love him but I just don't see it happening. There aren't many #1-2 centres in the league at his size. Giroux and maybe a few others...

6 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

If we take Necas I'll learn to love him but I just don't see it happening. There aren't many #1-2 centres in the league at his size. Giroux and maybe a few others...

How much did Connor McD (who'a an inch taller) weigh when he was 18..?

5 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm curious, when you keep referencing his size, what do you think Necas will be when he is 22?

Because I think you're going to be surprised after the combine, by your statements.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Giroux is 5'11" compared to Necas at 6' 1".

This is a bit anecdotal but I have noticed that euro countries eat a lot healthier than north america. I wouldn't be surprised if Necas has less body fat percentage than his north american counterparts, leading to the lower weight numbers.  

I'm confident he'll be fine as a center, and be able to put on the weight in a few years as he doesn't seem to be an ectomorph like Pettersson.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, theminister said:

I'm curious, when you keep referencing his size, what do you think Necas will be when he is 22?

Because I think you're going to be surprised after the combine, by your statements.

I hope I am surprised. Nylander changed my mind in 2014 with his strong combine. I still think we take Vilardi or Glass if one of those guys is available.