The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not sure Pettersson will be taken in the top 10, unless JB drafts him high. Could be interesting pairing him with Dahlen, apparently they're best friends on the Timra team. He'll really need to bulk up though.

If we were to pick up another pick from say BUF/ARZ for Hutton/Tanev.... I think he's a 7'ish-12 pick.

Something just doesn't seem right. Every one keeps saying this draft is so volitile from 3-12 yet everyone has the same names from about 3-7 in about the same order. I bet we are all going to be a bit surprised when we hear the names being call near the top of the draft 

1 minute ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Something just doesn't seem right. Every one keeps saying this draft is so volitile from 3-12 yet everyone has the same names from about 3-7 in about the same order. I bet we are all going to be a bit surprised when we hear the names being call near the top of the draft 

Really, I see a LOT of variance 3-12'ish in lists. Generally its largely the same 9 or so names but the actual order is total crap shoot.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If we were to pick up another pick from say BUF/ARZ for Hutton/Tanev.... I think he's a 7'ish-12 pick.

I think BUF/ARZ would both love to get Tanev, but that would depend on where they envision their teams rebuilds.  Tanev is in his prime now so I think he could help teams like Dallas, Toronto, Edmonton that are maybe in a win now/soon mode.  Buffalo's team maybe be closer than many think so they could also be a fit?  ARZ is pretty young and has lots of promise.  Tanev would look great with Ekman-Larsson.  I just think they are closer to us in a rebuild than say Toronto or Edmonton.

I wouldn't trade Hutton at this point... he had a dip in his sophomore season after a great rookie campaign.  They logically should see how season 3 goes with Hutton... he still has a lot of upside.

Edited by Sedintwinpowersactivate

4 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I think BUF/ARZ would both love to get Tanev, but that would depend on where they envision their teams rebuilds.  Tanev is in his prime now so I think he could help teams like Dallas, Toronto, Edmonton that are maybe in a win now/soon mode.  Buffalo's team maybe be closer than many think so they could also be a fit?  ARZ is pretty young and has lots of promise.  Tanev would look great with Ekman-Larsson.  I just think they our closer to us in a rebuild than say Toronto or Edmonton.

I wouldn't trade Hutton at this point... he had a dip in his sophomore season after a great rookie campaign.  They logically should see how season 3 goes with Hutton... he still has a lot of upside.

Tanev doesn't fit BUF's needs or timeline. But Hutton does. Just a feeling but I don't think VAN sees Hutton as their long term 2nd pair LD. If they can get value for him ahead of the ED (he's exempt) and get another piece valuable to the rebuild...

OEL is almost the same age as Tanev. IMO, they need to start making some hay with their rebuild. Especially while they have a bunch of shiny forwards on ELC's/bridge contracts and can actually do some damage for cheap. Tanev helps them do that big time. Not only from a hockey perspective either (though they do risk potential middle ground/constant rebuild if they don't make a push) but they need to get butts in seats and dollars coming in from a business standpoint too. Winning does that.

I don't see TOR giving us what we'd need to send them Tanev. Same with EDM.

DAL would work if they play ball though (Tanev or Edler).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Yeah, I think we'll be surprised, like when JB took Juolevi at #5 over Tkachuk. Well, I know I was surprised anyway.

1. NJ - Hischier

2. PHI - Patrick

3. DAL - Vilardi

4. COL - Heiskanen

5. VAN - Pettersson (and the crowd groans with confusion, again)

6. LV - Glass

7. ARI - Makar

8. BUF - Tippett

9. DET - Liljegren

10. FLA - Vesalainen

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I think we'll be surprised, like when JB took Juolevi at #5 over Tkachuk. Well, I know I was surprised anyway.

1. NJ - Hischier

2. PHI - Patrick

3. DAL - Vilardi

4. COL - Heiskanen

6. LV - Glass

7. ARI - Makar

8. BUF - Tippett

9. DET - Liljegren

10. FLA - Vesalainen

Unfortunately I can see this being a close reality haha, what happened to Middlestadt, he drops out of the top 10 altogether?

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. NJ - Hischier

2. PHI - Patrick

3. DAL - Vilardi

4. COL - Heiskanen

6. LV - Glass

7. ARI - Makar

8. BUF - Tippett

9. DET - Liljegren

10. FLA - Vesalainen

I can see Benning picking Pettersson or Liljegren at 5th pick.  I'll probably groan is that happens.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I understand that, but with Hitch there, clearly they are all in now.  Plus, Hitch will want to improve their struggling defensive play.  Tanev is better than any player they currently have at playing D.  Maybe they could trade one of their RHD for a pick or something?  

Tanev is better defensively....but he'd still be behind Klingberg on the right side. And as I said, defensively they feel lindell is there next version of Tanev, and if they are really concerned they can throw money at alzner....

What the stars really need is an all around minute muncher on the LHD, a young version of edler.  Which is where Murray comes into play

5 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I can see Benning picking Pettersson or Liljegren at 5th pick.  I'll probably groan is that happens.

Yeah, me too. I just noticed I left out Mittelstadt lol

I guess that's what happens when you don't interview :) jk

11 minutes ago, bp79 said:

71 million not to buy out their goalies

Where are you getting that? You're looking at last season, look at 2017-18.  Next year Hudler, Hemsky, and Sharp come off the books and are all likely to be replaced with ELC. 

“I’ve got two goalies that only have one year left. That’s intriguing for teams,” said Nill. “There are going to be other opportunities. This isn’t just about Vegas taking a goalie. I think there’s going to be other opportunities.”

But if there isn’t another team that helps out Nill, he has a green light from ownership to help himself by buying out a goalie.

“If necessary, yeah. I’m not worried about that. We’re in a great cap position,” said Nill of the Stars, who are projected to have over $15 million in cap space heading into the summer.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Tanev doesn't fit BUF's needs or timeline. But Hutton does. Just a feeling but I don't think VAN sees Hutton as their long term 2nd pair LD. If they can get value for him ahead of the ED (he's exempt) and get another piece valuable to the rebuild...

OEL is almost the same age as Tanev. IMO, they need to start making some hay with their rebuild. Especially while they have a bunch of shiny forwards on ELC's/bridge contracts and can actually do some damage for cheap. Tanev helps them do that big time. Not only from a hockey perspective either (though they do risk potential middle ground/constant rebuild if they don't make a push) but they need to get butts in seats and dollars coming in from a business standpoint too. Winning does that.

I don't see TOR giving us what we'd need to send them Tanev. Same with EDM.

DAL would work if they play ball though (Tanev or Edler).

I still feel Arizona is a while away since their top two centre prospects in Keller and Strome need more development.  In 3 years they could be a force to be reckoned with though.  I get the butts in the seats thing.  But that has more to do with the arena location then the on ice product.  Both are pretty bad.

If we could get the #7 pick and select Makar  (Arizona has a similar player in DeAngelo) and say Vilardi, Glass or Mittelstadt at #5 we could fill two very pressing needs.  So I get your thinking.

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Dallas has no reason to trade an asset to get rid of Niemi.  His buyout is $1.25 Million for 2 years.  Dallas has a ton of cap space.  A team taking Niemi off of their hands provides Dallas very little value.

While I agree with that,  I do think they would be open to the idea of moving the player out if the cost was low enough and if they was a return that made sense. 

Just now, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Hey Forsberg!  What's your opinion on trading Tanev?  What do you think is the best fit?

I'm open to moving him if the price is right.  Toronto could be a fit, same with tampa if they can dump some other cap.  Personally I see it being a better fit to move him next year, depending how stech and guddy play.  We often get too caught up in the currently draft year and set our sights on certain players that we forget just as good or better talents will be available next draft. 

But either way it's still fun to speculate. 

Hockeyprospect is the only one with Pettersson in the top 5:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2017&layout=&ranking=Rank5

Have to think, it's because of the connection with Dahlen that we'd be considering him so high up. I'm thrilled to hear about the Canucks flying in guys for extended interviews, shows they're doing their due diligence and hopefully convincing those draftees to want to come here. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Hockeyprospect is the only one with Pettersson in the top 5:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2017&layout=&ranking=Rank5

Have to think, it's because of the connection with Dahlen that we'd be considering him so high up. I'm thrilled to hear about the Canucks flying in guys for extended interviews, shows they're doing their due diligence and hopefully convincing those draftees to want to come here. 

Just heard Llijergrin (sp) suffered through mono or something this season, and it really set him back.  I wonder if he could be someone, when healthy and strong again, who could make a huge improvement in his draft + 1 season?

• Upvote 1