The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The case for why Chris Tanev is bad for the Team

CaptainLinden16

29 minutes ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

Well, I think the OP is under valuing Tanev's passing, for a start. But that's as maybe.

My main question for you would be if the coaching staff were pushing Tanev to carry the play more, and he wasn't doing it, why haven't they reduced his minutes? Or changed Elder's partner? To me, Tanev is doing exactly as instructed and he's very good at it. And so is Edler.

You could well be right, re: coaching.  If he's doing what he's told to, it makes it awful tough to fault him for it.  I've never looked at Tanev's play that critically before, so I don't know if the OP's theory holds water or not.  I just thought it was worth looking into.  Hopefully come next season, I won't remember to look for it, because the team is playing so well that it's a non-issue :) 

Really, all I want to see is less bone-headed plays that cost us goals/games.  It's bad enough losing to better teams.  It kills me when a bad effort causes the Canucks to lose to teams we should normally beat.

And, props to the OP for hanging around and discussing the matter.  Right or wrong, it's an interesting discussion.

14 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

You have to admit, with the title of your thread and these key statements:

Chris Tanev is as one dimensional as it comes.

He is a liability on the ice plain and simple.

He passes the responsibility to create onto someone else.

Edler.  He knows that his defensive partner is going to carry 0% of the burden to do anything to get the puck moving. 

Our defense was trash last year.

Tanev isn't special because he plays with a cigarette in his mouth and makes two foot passes.

All of these statements are directly from your post and as stand alone to not alter the context of your ideas.

I do understand the point of comparison you are trying to make between 2 players with different styles of play, but having said that, the above statements will make most label you as a troll.

He did say excuse the hyperbole.  The words "the case for" are in the title.

2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

You have to admit, with the title of your thread and these key statements:

Chris Tanev is as one dimensional as it comes.

He is a liability on the ice plain and simple.

He passes the responsibility to create onto someone else.

Edler.  He knows that his defensive partner is going to carry 0% of the burden to do anything to get the puck moving. 

Our defense was trash last year.

Tanev isn't special because he plays with a cigarette in his mouth and makes two foot passes.

All of these statements are directly from your post and as stand alone to not alter the context of your ideas.

I do understand the point of comparison you are trying to make between 2 players with different styles of play, but having said that, the above statements will make most label you as a troll.

In retrospect it would've been better to have a title that more directly relates to the content of the post, but it wouldn't have gotten this many people to read it.  If anyone got past the title, hahahaha...

There is exaggeration and hyperbole which is spelled out in the beginning of the post.  The main point is just to stop over celebrating someone doing the simple things all the time when we are bad team that needs a lot more out of our top pairing guy.  The fact that Edler goes for it and gets burned by the base is the issue.  He looks bad because Tanev eats the puck all the time.  Tanev passes up the open shot and the other team knows he will do that.  Edler takes the shot and hit shin pads.  Everyone says that Edler hitting shin pads again!  Well the other team knows that Tanev wont shot!  They do watch tape.  Edler cant just keep passing it back to Tanev in the hope that he will pull the trigger.  He has to try and make something happen.  

Just now, clam linguine said:

He did say excuse the hyperbole.  The words "a case for" are in the title.

Not dissing him for the idea of comparing the 2 players, just pointing out that despite hyperbole and stating case, those statements will bring on the troll comments. I personally did not call the OP a troll, I understand his argument.

8 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

The twins are two of my favorite players of all time, but I cant see them getting to 85 with Louie.  I actually don't think that the winger that plays with them matters all that much.  I think what they lack is a real point shot on the powerplay.  That I think will generate a lot more offense for them.

He will be arguably the most talented, complete winger they have ever played with and you don't that will effect their scoring?  

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

You could well be right, re: coaching.  If he's doing what he's told to, it makes it awful tough to fault him for it.  I've never looked at Tanev's play that critically before, so I don't know if the OP's theory holds water or not.  I just thought it was worth looking into.  Hopefully come next season, I won't remember to look for it, because the team is playing so well that it's a non-issue :) 

Really, all I want to see is less bone-headed plays that cost us goals/games.  It's bad enough losing to better teams.  It kills me when a bad effort causes the Canucks to lose to teams we should normally beat.

And, props to the OP for hanging around and discussing the matter.  Right or wrong, it's an interesting discussion.

I think Tanev is a very smart hockey player that knows what he is good at and what he isnt.  Thats a rare and amazing quality in a human being.  The only problem is we are a team starved for offense and he is on our top pairing.  In this market trap hockey wont do it, and I desperately dont want it.  So we need someone with more offense to bring this team up a level.

5 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

In retrospect it would've been better to have a title that more directly relates to the content of the post, but it wouldn't have gotten this many people to read it.  If anyone got past the title, hahahaha...

There is exaggeration and hyperbole which is spelled out in the beginning of the post.  The main point is just to stop over celebrating someone doing the simple things all the time when we are bad team that needs a lot more out of our top pairing guy.  The fact that Edler goes for it and gets burned by the base is the issue.  He looks bad because Tanev eats the puck all the time.  Tanev passes up the open shot and the other team knows he will do that.  Edler takes the shot and hit shin pads.  Everyone says that Edler hitting shin pads again!  Well the other team knows that Tanev wont shot!  They do watch tape.  Edler cant just keep passing it back to Tanev in the hope that he will pull the trigger.  He has to try and make something happen.  

You drastically under value the importance of doing the simple things. 

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Once again, I understood your post, exaggerations and all. Don't disagree with a lot of what you said. You are right, a lot of posters probably read the title or some of the statements I pointed out and gave you a -1 right away. I was just sayin... troll comments will come! Keep posting anyway you like, it is your opinion and views/titles that stand out or create controversy will always make things more interesting around here, especially during the long summer wait for hockey.

8 minutes ago, ehdee said:

He will be arguably the most talented, complete winger they have ever played with and you don't that will effect their scoring?  

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but I really don't.  Their game is bouncing a puck off of someones buttcheeks from behind the net.  That is Ericksson's game as well.  As a team that brings no new plays no new dynamic situations.  That becomes very predictable.  Now he will score on more of his chances than another will, so you can say that will improve their stats, but I think you loose just as much with Hanson's speed and willingness to shoot it. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love the signing.  I think he is the best player in this years free agency crop outside of Stamkos of course.  I just dont think it changes us at all as a team.

I think Tanev is a very smart hockey player that knows what he is good at and what he isnt.  Thats a rare and amazing quality in a human being.  The only problem is we are a team starved for offense and he is on our top pairing.  In this market trap hockey wont do it, and I desperately dont want it.  So we need someone with more offense to bring this team up a level.

Trapitty trap trap trap. That's how we are built. There will probably be quite a few games with 3 goal totals or less for us this year.

16 minutes ago, Remy said:

Right, you keep coming back to the same idea that the replies are one-off jokes and memes, but perhaps the fisherman should blame his bait on this one. 

I do understand that you've put some effort in your post, that is apparent. But it's also a babbling, incoherent mess. You really don't stick to one central idea (Tanev) as you veer off wildly onto other topics.

+100

This is your problem. We need a good healthy debate on these boards.

You can find many people's post that are against the grain....that do not get this type of treatment.

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but I really don't.  Their game is bouncing a puck off of someones buttcheeks from behind the net.  That is Ericksson's game as well.  As a team that brings no new plays no new dynamic situations.  That becomes very predictable.  Now he will score one more of his chances than another will, so you can say that will improve their stats, but I think you loose just as much with Hanson's speed and willingness to shoot it. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love the signing.  I think he is the best player in this years free agency crop outside of Stamkos of course.  I just dont think it changes us at all as a team.

hahaha...your lucky everyone has used up all their minuses.   I love it.

2 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

+100

This is your problem. We need a good healthy debate on these boards.

You can find many people's post that are against the grain....that do not get this type of treatment.

that's fine everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I think the argument is coherent and logically consistent.  I used strong language in the title and it shaped peoples opinion of the rest of the post.  I get it.  I am not mad about that.  Some people got something out of it, so the minus can keep flying.  There is way too much group think on here.  

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but I really don't.  Their game is bouncing a puck off of someones buttcheeks from behind the net.  That is Ericksson's game as well.  As a team that brings no new plays no new dynamic situations.  That becomes very predictable.  Now he will score one more of his chances than another will, so you can say that will improve their stats, but I think you loose just as much with Hanson's speed and willingness to shoot it. 

Not including Ericsson, who they played with during the 2013 World Championship,  they tallied 15 points in 4 games. I would argue their winger is a little more important than you think.

Here's 4 reasons why Tanev IS good for the team!

1) Tanev is extremely mobile, highly intelligent and good with the puck.

2) Tanev rarely makes mistakes, especially when you consider his low penalty minute totals.  Which meant he had the ability to go unpenalized against extremely good forwards.

3)   The Canucks do a better job of getting shots when Tanev’s out on the ice, but the opposition struggles to get into shooting position.

4) Tanev blends in well with the Canucks new young core.

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here's 4 reasons why Tanev IS good for the team!

1) Tanev is extremely mobile, highly intelligent and good with the puck.

2) Tanev rarely makes mistakes, especially when you consider his low penalty minute totals.  Which meant he had the ability to go unpenalized against extremely good forwards.

3)   The Canucks do a better job of getting shots when Tanev’s out on the ice, but the opposition struggles to get into shooting position.

4) Tanev blends in well with the Canucks new young core.

I agree with all of that.

1 minute ago, ehdee said:

Not including Ericsson, who they played with during the 2013 World Championship,  they tallied 15 points in 4 games. I would argue their winger is a little more important than you think.

He is a great player.  A very under rated player, but I just don't think he makes us any more difficult to play against on the top line because their styles are too similar.  One 2nd line on the other hand, I think he improves this team substantially.  I just don't know if he signed up to play 2nd line.

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

He is a great player.  A very under rated player, but I just don't think he makes us any more difficult to play against on the top line because their styles are too similar.  One 2nd line on the other hand, I think he improves this team substantially.  I just don't know if he signed up to play 2nd line.

Him on the first line is the best spot for him, and i think the Sedins will be much more potent this year, therefore harder to play against. Having Ericsson on the first line moves guys like Burrows and Hansen,who both spent time with the Sedins, down the lineup. Making depth better overall in my opinion. That's how I see Ericsson making this team better.

Archived