The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The case for why Chris Tanev is bad for the Team

CaptainLinden16

Tanev is by far the best player on the team in regards to shot suppression.  Whether you think he does a good job of getting the puck out of the zone or not, when he is on the ice the opponents get less shots than any other player on the team.  This takes the reigns off players like Edler and Hutton.  This is of great value, is he a number one D man, no we tend to think of number ones as offensive/all around D-men.  Is he of great value absolutely.

Only the very short sited can argue that Tanev has little value to the team, the harder part is figuring out how to pay an elite shot suppressor who doesn't score.

26 better defensemen than Alex Edler, in no particular order (sorry Edler):

1. Erik Karlsson

2. PK Subban

3. Drew Doughty

4. Brent Burns

5. Aaron Ekblad

6. Mark Giordano

7. Dustin Byfuglien

8. Duncan Keith 

9. Oliver Ekman-Larsson

10. Shea Weber

11. Kevin Shattenkirk

12. Roman Josi

13. Ryan Suter

14. John Klingberg

15. Kris Letang

16. Tyson Barrie

17. Ryan McDonagh

18. Victor Hedman

19. Keith Yandle

20. Sami Vatanen

21. Morgan Reilly

22. Dougie Hamilton

23. M. E. Vlasic

24. Mike Green

25. Alex Pietrangelo 

26. Alex Goligoski

And in spite of all the defensemen out there we didn't draft, I am still happy to have Alex Edler; we have arguably one of the best first pairings in the league when it comes to defense, but go unnoticed because our defense doesn't score. The only thing I'm upset about now is that Gillis could've drafted Erik Karlsson, but chose Cody Hodgson instead. And we got Prust out of him. And now Prust is gone too. <_<

3 minutes ago, MNA said:

1. Erik Karlsson

2. PK Subban

3. Drew Doughty

4. Brent Burns

5. Aaron Ekblad

6. Mark Giordano

7. Dustin Byfuglien

8. Duncan Keith 

9. Oliver Ekman-Larsson

10. Shea Weber

11. Kevin Shattenkirk

12. Roman Josi

13. Ryan Suter

14. John Klingberg

15. Kris Letang

16. Tyson Barrie

17. Ryan McDonagh

18. Victor Hedman

19. Keith Yandle

20. Sami Vatanen

21. Morgan Reilly

22. Dougie Hamilton

23. M. E. Vlasic

24. Mike Green

25. Jason Demers

26. Alex Goligoski

And in spite of all the defensemen out there we didn't draft, I am still happy to have Alex Edler; we have arguably one of the best first pairings in the league when it comes to defense, but go unnoticed because our defense doesn't score. The only thing I'm upset about now is that Gillis could've drafted Erik Karlsson, but chose Cody Hodgson instead. And we got Prust out of him. And now Prust is gone too. <_<

You forgot a few... Pietrangelo being 1 of them 

10 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

I stopped reading at Tanev and bad, someone fill me in if it's worthwhile.

Not only does it just suck to read, it meanders around until a thorough lack of understanding is revealed.

But it starts with statements like this: " He is a liability on the ice plain and simple. "  

So basically, it's not the lack of offense that bothers the OP, it's the fact that Tanev is far below average as a defender.  Of course, if you read all of his follow-up points, he thoroughly contradicts everything he said in the opening, so if you go by that, the point is that Tanev is great but Edler deserves more credit.  Or something.

Speaking of which...Did anyone actually watch Hutton in the last 30 games?  He was brutal.  Replay the games.  He was creating scoring chances for the other team nightly!  I don't blame him for it as again he was trying to make something happen.  We were bad, and he didnt want loose.  I applaud him for it.  Its cowardly and actually dumb to make the safe simple pass when you are down 3-0.  I want people who don't want to loose on my team.  I want Patrick Roy style players who want to pull the goalie down by 5 because they want to WIN.  

After glancing over the garbage the first time, I re-read it. It was even WORSE than I thought the first time. Let me guess....next we trade Tanev, Edler, and Hutton for Yakupov? I tried to minus it again, but apparently you can only minus it once. I guess that means over 100 people "seriously disliked" the post. Most people would not use such minus, unless it was truly awful. 

OP, I gave you a +. Not because I agree with your thread, more because I feel bad seeing 103 minuses. You're welcome. Takes some stones to go against the grain and actually back up your statements, right or wrong. Keep your head up, some on CDC are pretty ruthless. 

19 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I genuinely love how this turned into Edler bashing :lol: 

Well....The OP did kind of bring it on, when reality Edler is not an offensive driver.  He’s a passenger (not a bad thing, he's just not able to carry a pairing), blaming Tanev for not carrying Edler like Ehrhoff did isn’t a great argument by the OP. 

The reason Edler is in so many trade proposals is mostly because he doesn’t fit in the long term canucks plan.  Edler is 30 years old and has been slowing down the last 3 years.  He’s on the left side where canucks have the most depth coming up (Tryamkin, Hutton, Juolevi, Brisebois, Pedan, Sbisa).  Where Hutton and Juolevi are looking to be our top 4 D in the future.  On the right hand side we don’t have that kind of top end depth, we can cross our fingers that maybe Stecher or Subban make the top role but it’s a far reach.  Add that Tanev is only 26 and just heading into his prime years. 

Tanev is an extremely smart player with a high hockey IQ.  He has the ability to slow the game down and take pressure of the rest of his line mates.  Being able to make the two foot pass has zero to do with shifting the responsibility because he’s making smart decisions with that pass not blindly throwing the pressure off onto someone else.  Having a calming presence on the back end has a ripple effect on the rest of the line.  There is a reason why the big offensive D have, smart high IQ, quick transitioning, strong defensive D partners. 

OP, what kind of Kool-Aid did you get into?  Tanev is bad for his team!?  Sooo, bargain contract, strong stats (just doesn't score) and this guy is terrible?  Hockey Canada obviously got it wrong too?  He makes Edler a better player, and cleans up mistakes around him (including his own).  He ALWAYS makes the smart simple play, he blocks the most shots, and he quietly brings it every single night.

We are lucky to have him on our team, and I can't wait to see how he's going to be looking 4-5 years from now when he's in his prime, and this team is looking to make a push for the cup.

1 hour ago, MNA said:

1. Erik Karlsson

2. PK Subban

3. Drew Doughty

4. Brent Burns

5. Aaron Ekblad

6. Mark Giordano

7. Dustin Byfuglien

8. Duncan Keith 

9. Oliver Ekman-Larsson

10. Shea Weber

11. Kevin Shattenkirk

12. Roman Josi

13. Ryan Suter

14. John Klingberg

15. Kris Letang

16. Tyson Barrie

17. Ryan McDonagh

18. Victor Hedman

19. Keith Yandle

20. Sami Vatanen

21. Morgan Reilly

22. Dougie Hamilton

23. M. E. Vlasic

24. Mike Green

25. Alex Pietrangelo 

26. Alex Goligoski

Should Tanev be on that list? He was on the ice protecting the lead in the last minute of the World Championships.

Took one thread to go from positive territory to negative. I'm more then happy to add to that.

You do realize that there are different roles for different defensemen right? Some are puck movers, some keep the net clear and punish opposing players, some focus purely on offense and some are stay at home do whatever it takes to prevent a goal defensemen. That is what Tanev is. He does his job quietly, but effectively blocking shots and keeping the puck out of our own goal.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player on the contrary he's the type of defensemen every GM in the league needs to be successful. He's a low cap hit and very effective at defending which is what you know defense is supposed to be about. He may be in your mind one-dimensional, but he is a king in that dimension for what he brings to the team and I'd much rather have a guy who's great in his role then a player who's ok in multiple.

12 hours ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

It's not just coaching, though. I mean, no amount of coaching is going to turn Tanev into Orr. We just don't have the firepower we used to, so the system has to adjust to limit damage. But even on a juggernaut team, Tanev's skills have a lot of value. Anybody remember who Orr's defence partner was? Paul Coffey's?

I agree.  I wonder about Josi, with Weber leaving.  I don't watch the Preds much, and only saw pieces of the Nash/SJ series this year, but it seemed that Josi had the gaffes that led to goals against. I know he's good, but it will be interesting to see how he fares with lesser support from his new D partner.

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Well....The OP did kind of bring it on, when reality Edler is not an offensive driver.  He’s a passenger (not a bad thing, he's just not able to carry a pairing), blaming Tanev for not carrying Edler like Ehrhoff did isn’t a great argument by the OP. 

The reason Edler is in so many trade proposals is mostly because he doesn’t fit in the long term canucks plan.  Edler is 30 years old and has been slowing down the last 3 years.  He’s on the left side where canucks have the most depth coming up (Tryamkin, Hutton, Juolevi, Brisebois, Pedan, Sbisa).  Where Hutton and Juolevi are looking to be our top 4 D in the future.  On the right hand side we don’t have that kind of top end depth, we can cross our fingers that maybe Stecher or Subban make the top role but it’s a far reach.  Add that Tanev is only 26 and just heading into his prime years. 

Tanev is an extremely smart player with a high hockey IQ.  He has the ability to slow the game down and take pressure of the rest of his line mates.  Being able to make the two foot pass has zero to do with shifting the responsibility because he’s making smart decisions with that pass not blindly throwing the pressure off onto someone else.  Having a calming presence on the back end has a ripple effect on the rest of the line.  There is a reason why the big offensive D have, smart high IQ, quick transitioning, strong defensive D partners. 

If Edler is not in the long term plans why does Benning say he is our best D-man?

Archived