The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My opinion on Virtanen for next season...

Sean Avery

15 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Lindros took no time to dominate because there really wasn't a player like Lindros in the NHL at the time. He's called a prototypical power foward for a reason.

Sorry Bowtie, gonna have to agree with D-Money on this one. Lindros had 41 goals and 35 assists in 61 games his rookie season. He was an immediate impact on the Flyers. Followed up sophomore year with 97 points.

Sorry, should have directed this at Realtor Rod.

13 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Sorry Bowtie, gonna have to agree with D-Money on this one. Lindros had 41 goals and 35 assists in 61 games his rookie season. He was an immediate impact on the Flyers. Followed up sophomore year with 97 points.

Sorry, should have directed this at Realtor Rod.

What are going on about? Lindros is the player all power forwards are measured against. Only Lindros developed quickly. The rest take time, like Jake. Jake is a power forward. He needs nhl coaching, training and to around nhl players. He will not play in Utica while JB is the GM.

24 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

What are going on about? Lindros is the player all power forwards are measured against. Only Lindros developed quickly. The rest take time, like Jake. Jake is a power forward. He needs nhl coaching, training and to around nhl players. He will not play in Utica while JB is the GM.

Your original quote:

The toolset he brings he not one that develops quickly. Think Eric Lindros. Lindros is the measuring stick for player like Jake. It will take him time. I would rather watch him grow on the team than a player like Prust, Etem etc fumble around on the 4th line.

Just referring to the bolded above. Obviously Lindros had immediate impact as a player and power forward, yet you say Jakes tool set will not develop quickly. Why compare him to Lindros then, or use Lindros as a yardstick, when he was so unique and impactful to begin with? Will Jake grow into a pf comparable to Lindros, who knows, but why not compare him to a power forward that took time to develop? Like Cam Neely (who I define as a power forward and was before Lindro's time) or Bertuzzi. Both took 3+ seasons before they really developed.

Edit: I also did not say anywhere that Jake did not belong on the team. I agree with the last part of your post, he needs to be in the NHL to develop at this point.

Lindros was not a prototypical power forward. He just had size to back up his skill...and wasn't afraid to use it. He was a generational player, and making comparisons to him doesn't do either him or the player you're comparing justice.

Virtanen doesn't have a fraction of Eric's vision or playmaking abilities. But he does have speed, and can hit like an absolute truck. Personally, I can't remember the last time I saw a 19 year-old do this:

Nichuskin is closer to Lindros' size than Virtanen, but Jake didn't need to gain momentum, or lunge in any way. He just glided into him, and freakin' destroyed him.

I'm excited to see what Virtanen will do this season and going forward. He has the potential to be the rate type of player that other teams drool over. But again, his game is nothing like Lindros.

Because of the type of game Jake plays I believe he will be on the big team this year. He can play on at least the third line and play that kind of game without being a liability. He will slowly grow into a minimum second line player. If we're lucky a first liner.

35 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Lindros was not a prototypical power forward. He just had size to back up his skill...and wasn't afraid to use it. He was a generational player, and making comparisons to him doesn't do either him or the player you're comparing justice.

Virtanen doesn't have a fraction of Eric's vision or playmaking abilities. But he does have speed, and can hit like an absolute truck. Personally, I can't remember the last time I saw a 19 year-old do this:

Nichuskin is closer to Lindros' size than Virtanen, but Jake didn't need to gain momentum, or lunge in any way. He just glided into him, and freakin' destroyed him.

I'm excited to see what Virtanen will do this season and going forward. He has the potential to be the rate type of player that other teams drool over. But again, his game is nothing like Lindros.

Virtanen is 5 lbs heavier and 3" shorter than Nichuskin.  He's a bigger load and a thicker build.  Having said that, the hit was well timed and Virtanen was clearly looking for it while Nichuskin was not.

Virtanen delivers impact time and again and this is what Linden was referring to when he spoke of the Canucks badly needing his skill set.  Who else on the Canucks can lower the boom like that?  Gudbranson, Tryamkin.....no forward. 

I've said this before but I think he stays up unless he's a no show at camp.  3rd line is my best guess.

12 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

He will not play in Utica while JB is the GM.

Unless he really shows something offensively come preseason I definitely see him starting in Utica. It would be better for his development getting big minutes, with a bigger role, in Uttica than winding up on the fourth line here for the bulk of the season.

JB kept him here because he wanted control of his development and his only choices were here or junior. This year he has the AHL option which is also within our development plan.

Archived