The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have had internal discussions about moving Edler

4 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Jones was traded to Columbus for Johansen and is probably untouchable, i agree just keep Edler. Trading him would create a big hole and force other D into a place they have no right to be in.

Good point. 

Adding to that there is now no one more qualified to mentor the young D (including Guddy) in the team at this time. Edler is smart he is not afraid to be physical and he doesn't take silly penalties. He doesn't hide when things are not going his way and he doesn't shoot his mouth off to the press when things go wrong. He is the original character guy and while probably too quiet to be a real leader on or off the ice, he leads by example.

5 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Good point. 

Adding to that there is now no one more qualified to mentor the young D (including Guddy) in the team at this time. Edler is smart he is not afraid to be physical and he doesn't take silly penalties. He doesn't hide when things are not going his way and he doesn't shoot his mouth off to the press when things go wrong. He is the original character guy and while probably too quiet to be a real leader on or off the ice, he leads by example.

Agreed, on all levels.  But...we really do need one young elite scoring forward to replace Hank.  Unless we get very lucky (and sucky) and win the 2017 draft lotto (Patrick) there is no player like that in the coming draft.  So, that's the 2018 draft, at earliest.  Consider 4 years for the player to mature/develop, and now that's 2022.  We need to use one of our top D to get that young forward now.  If Tanev goes for (Draisatl?) I would not be displeased.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Agreed, on all levels.  But...we really do need one young elite scoring forward to replace Hank.  Unless we get very lucky (and sucky) and win the 2017 draft lotto (Patrick) there is no player like that in the coming draft.  So, that's the 2018 draft, at earliest.  Consider 4 years for the player to mature/develop, and now that's 2022.  We need to use one of our top D to get that young forward now.  If Tanev goes for (Draisatl?) I would not be displeased.

Although I am not sold on CTs approach to the physical side of the game I do not underestimate his talent and for that reason I would want a bit more than Draisatl coming back.

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Although I am not sold on CTs approach to the physical side of the game I do not underestimate his talent and for that reason I would want a bit more than Draisatl coming back.

I am not familiar enough with the young scorers in the league to list ones who would fill the role Draisatl would.  For example, would Sam Reinhart?  Is he that type of player, and would be more "fair" value for Tanev?

Edler should be looked at being moved…..But not until we answer a few question marks on our roster first.  If a deal were to happen I can’t imagine it happening until trade deadline. 

We need to see what we have in a player like Hutton and how he can handle the increase minutes this year. 

We need to see if Tryamkin can transition into the NHL game for a longer period of time. 

We need to see if Pedan can be a roster player. 

And we also need to see how close Juolevi is to an NHL game. 

That’s four questions that need to be answered prior to us moving Edler.  If Hutton and Tryamkin look ready, then yes we should be looking at what types of values we can get for Edler.  If they don’t we aren’t going to move a player to leave a big hole on our roster, not when we are trying to be competitive.  The only way we move Edler without answering those questions is if we get offered a return we couldn’t refuse, and at this point it isn’t going to happen.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived