The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have had internal discussions about moving Edler

10 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/would-the-canucks-trade-alex-edler

Encouraging report.

Like that management isn't satisfied with anything really and are open to all scenarios to improve the team.

Teams discuss players they have with trade value all the time. Especially when the overall mandate of the team is to transition to a younger core and there are logjams are certain positions with others in the pipeline to replace the older players. That doesn't mean anything ever comes of those discussions (sorry, I won't trust someone on Twitter going by purplegrimace for my day to day facts) and this is just something that every team does - or should be doing - with their players when building rosters.

...In other words, don’t hold your breath.

Speculation:  The Canucks have discussed trading the Sedins, Hansen, Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Horvat. Dorsett, the 5th overall, and every other option under the sun.

Report:  The Province is worthless pulp with the sole purpose of delivering consumers to advertisers.  Newsworthiness, credibility, etc - not a concern.

One thing I'll say is that, if the reports are true, management seems to be continuing the pattern of learning from their past mistakes.

Securing Edler's NTC waive list (even if it's only two teams) this early in the process is smart management. It would seem they learned something from the Hamhuis experience (where they waited far too long to get a list, and likely missed out on a trade because of it).

They can talk all they want. Unless there going to mistreat him (which for this management group isn't a stretch) he flat out said he will not waive his NTC. I believe it went something like this  edler- You don't sign a long term deal with a ntc is you want to get traded. 

So then you get the return from the one team on his list if he does agree to be traded to and it's never market value at that point. 

12 hours ago, goblix said:

Think Edler gets too much of a bad rap.

he gives the puck away sometimes but still our best all arounder dman. Puts up around 40 points a year on a barren blueline.

most of all though he's a good defenseman logging the ice time above his ability or paygrade.

hes never been the problem and I think getting rid of him now is counter intuitive to having the Sedins on contract..

Edler has averaged just under 24 points/year over the last 4 years...

1 hour ago, Knucks16 said:

I think Edler for number one draft pick aswell top prospect is pretty fair.....  Opens up cap space.....

Wow...not even close. You are overestimating Edler's worth. But if Edler were to be traded right now it would have to be for immediate help. The only way he is moved for futures is at the deadline.

12 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Edler has averaged just under 24 points/year over the last 4 years...

bleh, if you just look at the one number then yeah... but IMO you have to look at the ppg rate and extrapolate it. Injuries can happen to anyone, while it's not indicative of him actually producing the totals it's still the rate of which you can expect him to achieve.

2012-2013:: 45GP | 22pts | 0.48PPG  (extrapolated to 40pts in 82 games)

2013-2014:: 63GP | 22pts | 0.35PPG  (extrapolated to 28pts in 82 games)

2014-2015:: 74GP | 31pts | 0.42PPG  (extrapolated to 34pts in 82 games)

2015-2016:: 52GP | 20pts | 0.38PPG  (extrapolated to 31pts in 82 games)

Anyways, I didn't review the exact point totals year by year but overall you can expect Edler to put up 30-40pts. Either way I believe he's far and above the most point producing dman on our team.

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

One thing I'll say is that, if the reports are true, management seems to be continuing the pattern of learning from their past mistakes.

Securing Edler's NTC waive list (even if it's only two teams) this early in the process is smart management. It would seem they learned something from the Hamhuis experience (where they waited far too long to get a list, and likely missed out on a trade because of it).

Yeah, I doubt the report just because they have said themselves they haven't asked for a list of teams from players previously who were destined to be traded (or at least strongly speculated to be and warranted the discussion). Edler could be traded but doesn't fall in the same category as Kesler, Bieksa, Vrbata, Hamhuis, etc. where he will be imminently or not re-signed.

i hope edler and sedins burr, miller, hansen again have monster yrs  stats wise  raise there trade value  six players maximizing their trade value for trade deadline would be awesome next yrs team will at least have 2 of these guys gone  boesser, demko, juolevi, olson, subban all with a yr more development pushing next yr for spots. vegas might pick up one of sbisa or dorsett so one less crappy contract in van 

Archived