The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have had internal discussions about moving Edler

2 hours ago, mll said:

Well Montreal got a pretty good D man in return too - one that plays the Therrien style. 

As for Jones - he was D5 in Nashville with Ekholm-Ellis being the 2nd pairing and Josi-Weber the 1st.  

Here this is about trading a 1st pairing D with no one in position to fill in for him right now.  

They want to shelter their younger Fs by playing them lower in the lineup but they would be willing to expose their younger Ds who have played even less games.  If anything I see more a D for a D type trade.

I can see Edler to the Oilers for RNH.  That might not be a good move hockey wise, but it would sell tickets.  I'm thinking about what the owner might be pushing.  

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I wonder if the Avs would be willing to trade Zadorov.

A bottom pair of Zadorov and Tryamkin would be pretty menacing.

Hutton Tanev

Sbisa Gudbranson

Zadorov Tryamkin

Definitely one of the harder hitting D cores in the league. Not sure how much offense it would provide though. Get them to throw in Grigerenko too.

Zadorov is future Sbisa

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

at deadline unload

sedins - trade to wings retain half their salary for tartar, 2 firsts and a few prospects 

edler - to ducks for theodore

burrows - to habs for a 3rd

miller - blues or ducks for a 2nd 

hansen - for 1st and 2nd jets 

sbisa - retain 600k trade for a 2nd to jets

frees 28mill in cap  to resign hutton, horvat, tryamkin, guddy and draft or trade for a number 1 center 

next yrs team

tartar                 rodin

eriksson  sutter boesser

virtanen horvat baertchi   

gaunce granlund dorsett 

juolevi tanev

hutton guddy

tryamkin theodore 

stecher pedan

subban 

markstrom

demko

Tartar

TARTAR

TARTAR

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We didn't lose Hammer.  Losing something implies you wanted to keep it, because you value it.  We didn't want Hammer, evidenced by our not even talking contract with him.  This is why the entire article is bunk.  We didn't "lose" Hammer.  

Well I valued and wanted him, so I guess I lost Hammer. :( 

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

tators lol i was tired lol  i meant tatar  bahaha 

Doesn't matter the spelling.  We don't need that player.  Why bring in another easy to play against forward?  Don't we need hard to play against top six guys?

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

There will never be a good time to trade Edler as long as we're still trying to compete.

The question management has to ask is are they willing to trade him while he still has value or not.

I agree and disagree with the comment at the same time.  I disagree in the sense that if you have the depth to replace him during the rebuild, it's a good time to trade him.  I agree that now is not a good time as it's only potential replacing Edler.  Yeah, Hutton and Tryamkin are looking good.  But it's too soon to certainly say that they can replace Edler.  Not a slight against either prospect...it's just too early to declare this.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I agree and disagree with the comment at the same time.  I disagree in the sense that if you have the depth to replace him during the rebuild, it's a good time to trade him.  I agree that now is not a good time as it's only potential replacing Edler.  Yeah, Hutton and Tryamkin are looking good.  But it's too soon to certainly say that they can replace Edler.  Not a slight against either prospect...it's just too early to declare this.

Sbisa will take on a more prominent role too.   Not one guy will replace Edler's minutes.

I'm not surprised if this has merrit to it. I remember in his end of year interview, Benning hinted that he was not impressed with Edler's play. Thay being said though, it'd be a horrible time to trade him, as mentioned. I'd Only do if we get another D back. 

9 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

The difference between Edler and being classified as a top guy is consistency. He has none. 

Push someone out of their comfort zone or their perceived level of ability and he's going to look inconsistent. I mean when your defending 25-30 minutes a night against Crosby / Ovechkin / other superstars they are also going to make you look inconsistent.

He'd probably look good with a true #1 beside him or on the second pairing with less of a load to take on the superstars on.

Anyways the main point here is that we still don't have a true #1 defenceman... so are you really going to push 3 or 4 raw rookie dmen into top 6 roles ? I don't think so. Hell I mean we finally have 5/6 spots filled with actual NHL caliber skilled defenders.

Why not ride that into the season or 2 at the least. When Sedins contract is up then Edler has 1 more year left where he could be a great rental commodity or likely tradeable at the start of the season.

Archived