The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BENNING ON 1040 OCTOBER 7TH

AlwaysACanuckFan

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

im interested to hear how pedan feels about getting through waivers, is he happy to be still with the canucks? albeit in utica or would he have been happier with another club playing up?

I'm sure he'd rather be playing in the NHL with any team getting a much bigger paycheck. But he cleared waivers when any other team could have nabbed him for free. He'll have to be happy with what he's got.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Keeping Biega like they are means a couple of things. 

JB is open to the idea of trading Sbisa and thus will rely on Biega to be exposed on expansion.

Biega will be more than a 8th D, he will be getting NHL games to make sure he clears the 19 game limit.

Stecher likely starts in the AHL. 

And finally It means he was more concerned about the possibility of Sbisa being traded/ injured and having Biega as back up over the concern of having Pedan in canucks future. 

Agreed. Keeping Biega as insurance for the expansion draft was more important than potentially losing Pedan. Biega will make the club and I don't think they will waive Larsen. So that means Stecher will go to Utica. Even if he's first star tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

But then someone can claim him on re-entry waivers for half of his salary if I'm not mistaken. Me thinks Pedan is there for the year.

Better luck next year

No he can get called up for injury. 10 games or 30 days. Burrows will pull a groin the day before we play Calgary...

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

This year is going to be a weird TDL. People are going to be looking to acquire guys under contract they can expose to the expansion draft, so Hansen might have really high value since he could contribute to a run and also serve to protect other players by leaving him exposed. Plus if Skille is playing that much its going to be a hard year for us! 

Which makes more sense to you?

• Losing a player to expansion draft
  • Trading assets for a player you'll lose to expansion draft

I honestly don't see any GM trading assets for that purpose. They can still only protect so many players so adding an eligible player doesn't protect an eligible player. So the player you couldn't protect, and were afraid of losing, could still be lost anyway.

1 minute ago, Harvey Spector said:

Just to clarify waivers:

When a player clears waivers and is sent down and then is called up again, he does not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he has played ten games or has been "up" for 30 days.[4]

So that means that if they sent Gaunce down, he could only play 9 games for the Canucks this season?

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Which makes more sense to you?

• Losing a player to expansion draft
  • Trading assets for a player you'll lose to expansion draft

I honestly don't see any GM trading assets for that purpose. They can still only protect so many players so adding an eligible player doesn't protect an eligible player. So the player you couldn't protect, and were afraid of losing, could still be lost anyway.

It could potentially be a problem if you did not have a player available to meet the minimum requirements specified by the NHL. If the Canucks traded both of Biega and Sbisa they would have to make one of Edler, Tanev or Gudbranson available for the expansion draft.

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

So that means that if they sent Gaunce down, he could only play 9 games for the Canucks this season?

No Gaunce is exempt from waivers. He could be called up at any time as many times as they want. However there is a roster limit of 23 Players so in order to call him up someone would have to go on injury reserve or someone on the current roster would have to be put on waivers. 

If Gaunce and Virtanen get sent down Burrows will be pulling a lot of groins this year...

Archived