The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BENNING ON 1040 OCTOBER 7TH

AlwaysACanuckFan

11 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Why sign a PTO player rather than play Gaunce?

More depth for injuries, allows us to move Ruutu/Skille (or Burrows) at deadline for picks and call Gaunce up then (if not already up from injuries), gets Gaunce more minutes than 8-12 on 4th line or none as 13th forward. Those would be the reasons.

Either way I'm happy to see him as 4C/LW as he's shown he can play or as solid depth in Utica available for injuries/TDL playing lots of minutes.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Obviously JB has a better read on Pedan than a lot of Canuck fans.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen anything from Pedan that he's ready to go in the NHL... 

Having said that I do like his size and speed. I think working with Green and being the occasional call up this year will be a good thing for him. 

5 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

They need to be really careful here. The reason Stecher chose us is management showed that they stick to their word when they say that they will make room for a young guy if he shows he deserves to be here. Well Stecher sure has. If they send him down it will send the wrong message.

They need to waive Etem. He has shown nothing that screams "I want a spot on this team". I also think he would clear. If he doesn't then we really don't lose that much.

The guys fresh out of college and will be an integral part of the D core for years to come if this preseason has been any indication. A third of a season in Utica isn't going to be a bad thing for his development. He's a local boy playing for his hometown team I think he's pretty content on his current status as a pro.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

More depth for injuries, allows us to move Ruutu/Skille (or Burrows) at deadline for picks and call Gaunce up then (if not already up from injuries), gets Gaunce more minutes than 8-12 on 4th line or none as 13th forward. Those would be the reasons.

Either way I'm happy to see him as 4C/LW as he's shown he can play or as solid depth in Utica available for injuries/TDL playing lots of minutes.

Gaunce will never be a top 9 forward unless he gets the opportunity to play there.  He's a first round pick.  He's already developed.  He just needs a chance now to prove himself. He has nothing more to learn at the AHL level.  Keeping Etem or Skille or Ruutu over him just so we can flip them for a 5th round pick at the deadline is kinda dumb. I want to field the best team possible to win.  Having Etem in the lineup over Gaunce at this point does not accomplish that.

I'll be pretty disappointed if Benning and Co send Virtanen, Stecher or Gaunce down.

All three have had an excellent pre-season (even if Virtanen was limited in ice-time due to injury). 

Larsen played okay last night, but Stecher has had people buzzing every night he is on the ice. This team needs some excitement around it and Stecher is bringing that to the team (along with better scoring and defense over Larsen). 

Virtanen has chipped in offensively in every pre-season game he has had so far and has looked like he belongs.

Gaunce has shown he can make the transition to the NHL and has earned a 4th line role.

If Benning keeps Biega or Larsen over Stecher and Skille, Ruutu or Etem over Gaunce and Virtanen, I'll be heavily disappointed in our management.

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Obviously JB has a better read on Pedan than a lot of Canuck fans.

As does every other GM in the NHL.  Don't get me wrong, I hope he pans out for us in the future, but every one passed on picking him up.  That should send a message to people, and him as well.

11 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

It would be a travesty if Etem, Skille or Ruutu stick over Gaunce, simply because he's eligible to go down to Utica without waivers.  Gaunce is NHL ready.  He needs to play with the big boys...  NOW.....

Really liking what Gaunce has achieved over the summer - he put in hard hours in the gym and on the practice rink and it shows.  I hope he gets a legit chance to start the year and prove his worth to the club.

As far as PTO's go, I wish more players on the club showed the kind of urgency that Skille has shown every single shift of the pre-season.  We'd be a very difficult team to out-work on a nightly basis if the rest of the team took Skille's lead as far as work-ethic.  Also, he plays with a slight edge that we've been sorely lacking.  You can see when he's in the corner with someone or in front of the net his attitude seems to be, "I'm here, I'm out working you, what you going to do about that?"  Whereas Ruutu seems to be more or less 'going through the motions' out there - he's not doing things to 'get noticed' imo.  I would put Skille on this team right now if the pre-season is any indication of what he can bring. 

6 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Gaunce will never be a top 9 forward unless he gets the opportunity to play there.  He's a first round pick.  He's already developed.  He just needs a chance now to prove himself. He has nothing more to learn at the AHL level.  Keeping Etem or Skille or Ruutu over him just so we can flip them for a 5th round pick at the deadline is kinda dumb. I want to field the best team possible to win.  Having Etem in the lineup over Gaunce at this point does not accomplish that.

Oh I think Etem is getting waived regardless, short of the light bulb coming on this last game in EDM. But I could see Gaunce going down (as well as Virt), (hat could actually be a hell of a 1st line in Utica...Etem, Gaunce, Virtanen). And it's not just to flip them for picks (and we'd probably get more than a 5th if they're performing). They're NHL vets who've shown they can still play IMO. It's hardly some screwball idea and gives us solid depth for injuries.

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson

Baer, Horvat, Rodin

Granlund, Sutter, Hansen

Burr, Ruutu, Dorsett

Skille/Zalewski etc

But like I said, I could also see Gaunce as 4C/LW and Skille not signed or on a 2 way and waived to Utica as well. We'll find out soon enough.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Oh I think Etem is getting waived regardless, short of the light bulb coming on this last game in EDM. But I could see Gaunce going down (as well as Virt), (hat could actually be a hell of a 1st line in Utica...Etem, Gaunce, Virtanen). And it's not just to flip them for picks. They're NHL vets who've shown they can still play IMO. It's hardly some screwball idea and gives us solid depth for injuries.

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson

Baer, Horvat, Rodin

Granlund, Sutter, Hansen

Burr, Ruutu, Dorsett

Skille/Zalewski etc

But like I said, I could also see Gaunce as 4C/LW and Skille not signed or on a 2 way and waived to Utica as well. We'll find out soon enough.

We are not keeping both Ruutu and Skille.  Zalewski has already been waived.  If Etem is waived that means Gaunce has made this team...

Gaunce   Ruutu   Dorsett 

That would be my 4th line, Burr can be an assistant coach in the press box...

10 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen anything from Pedan that he's ready to go in the NHL... 

Having said that I do like his size and speed. I think working with Green and being the occasional call up this year will be a good thing for him. 

JB basically confirmed Biega was kept for expansion reasons.  He liked Pedan and was crossing his fingers he'd clear

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I wouldn't get high hopes on moving Ruttu or Skille for any picks at the TDL. 

3 minutes ago, The Rattler said:

As does every other GM in the NHL.  Don't get me wrong, I hope he pans out for us in the future, but every one passed on picking him up.  That should send a message to people, and him as well.

stop kidding yourself if it wasn't for the depth we have he'd be here ,if it wasn't for the patronizing of larsen with his "if i don't get a spot I'm going back to europe" they probably would have considered sending larsen down.  pedan has paid his dues. he showed this preseason, between larsen and pedan it was close!

Right now my views on moving players would be to put ETEM and Biega on waivers but really what do I know and I'm also fine with whatever J.B. does. Burrows is also pretty close to being on the gone list as well. Sadly, I think he might be about finished as a player unless he likes hanging on as a 12th-14th player on a near minimum salary.

15 minutes ago, nux_win said:

A better read on the whole NHL than a lot of Canuck fans.  I don't know why some of us hacks think we can GM better than an experienced pro just because we have access to the internet.  I like what Benning has been doing.  Go Jim Go!

P.S. - So glad that Pedan cleared waivers, now we can bring him back every time we play Calgary or L.A.  (not necessarily but it's nice to have the added muscle when we need it)

If we bring him back for a handful of games, then re-assign him, does he have to again clear waivers to go back down?  Or is it once waived, always waived, that season?

Just now, Harvey Spector said:

We are not keeping both Ruutu and Skille.  Zalewski has already been waived.  If Etem is waived that means Gaunce has made this team...

They have the option of recalling him. Waiving him to give them more time on the PTO's, Virtanen, Etem etc would not be unheard of. 

I doubt we keep both Ruutu and Skille as well (at least in the NHL) but you never know.

There's no point trying to be definitive at this point when none of that is written in stone. This is why people on CDC are constantly loosing their cheese. They get their hearts and minds set on one option without considering the merit of other possibilities and then go :frantic:when their preferred situation doesn't happen. See: Pedan going on waivers. 

14 minutes ago, chon derry said:

late getting through waivers, is he happy to be still with the canucks? albeit in utica or would he have been happier with another club playing up?

probably the later..unless he blows the doors off he probably wont  be resigned anyway

Archived