The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BENNING ON 1040 OCTOBER 7TH

AlwaysACanuckFan

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Hey, I have him penciled in as 4C in 'my' lineup.

I just won't be surprised if he gets sent down either for the very understandable reasons I already outlined. All I'm saying is open yourself to the idea because it could very well happen. And no Utica wouldn't be bad for Gaunce and no it's not the same as Virt/McCann last year. AHL wasn't an option for them and there's a vast difference between it and the AHL AND the fact they couldn't be recalled.

Haha, if Gauncer gets sent down I will personally visit Francesco with my Italian buddies to raise a fuss...

IMG_0264.JPG

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Bingo.  But I'd have Gauncer on the 4th line over Burr.  But that's wishful thinking...

Gaunce is either playing 4C/4LW or he's in Utica. There's next to no chance they have him in the press box most nights.

I could see him, Burrows and Ruutu all subbing in/out though.

Everyone gets bent out of shape about the idea of having some NHL ready guys playing in Utica. How do you think the good teams do it? They have guys who are ready to make the jump, on the farm ready to fill in when they run into injuries.

Being able to recall these guys and have them step right into any position in the lineup is a "Good Thing"

Depth is what leads to cup runs (no, I'm not suggesting that we are ready for that), you have to have depth at all positions to make your team durable in the NHL.

Should be a fun year!

25 minutes ago, chon derry said:

stop kidding yourself if it wasn't for the depth we have he'd be here ,if it wasn't for the patronizing of larsen with his "if i don't get a spot I'm going back to europe" they probably would have considered sending larsen down.  pedan has paid his dues. he showed this preseason, between larsen and pedan it was close!

and yet, everyone passed on him...everyone.  who's kidding who?

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Gaunce is either playing 4C/4LW or he's in Utica. There's next to no chance they have him in the press box most nights.

If Burrows has trouble keeping up, I can see him being sent to Utica as Higgins was last year. Would hate to see that happen, but I don't think Benning would hesitate to do it if he's being outplayed by other guys.

Will not be surprised to see Burrows retire after this season and join the front office either here or possible coaching staff in Utica. I think he will be with the Canucks in some capacity for years to come!

33 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Larsen played okay last night, but Stecher has had people buzzing every night he is on the ice. This team needs some excitement around it and Stecher is bringing that to the team (along with better scoring and defense over Larsen). 

I agree. I've been much more excited about Stecher than Larsen. Have been since he decided to go pro and thought we had a chance to sign him. Thought he had an outside chance of watching him make it, although slim, after watching the Frozen Four. I love his offensive awareness, defensive positioning and edge that he brings. Also love what he has shown on the power play and am interested in seeing how that translates to the regular season and stiffer competition. Having said all that, I thought he had outplayed Larsen by a mile going into last night's game. After watching the game, I think Larsen played much better last night and may have closed the gap, although I still think he is weaker defensively in his own end than Troy. I now feel that Stecher is going to have to have a hell of a game tomorrow to take Larsen's spot. Either way, we've got another dman that is going to be a great asset to our power play going forward.

47 minutes ago, J.R. said:

More depth for injuries, allows us to move Ruutu/Skille (or Burrows) at deadline for picks and call Gaunce up then (if not already up from injuries), gets Gaunce more minutes than 8-12 on 4th line or none as 13th forward. Those would be the reasons.

Either way I'm happy to see him as 4C/LW as he's shown he can play or as solid depth in Utica available for injuries/TDL playing lots of minutes.

Ya cause we always trade guys for picks at the deadline. 

29 minutes ago, Googlie said:

If we bring him back for a handful of games, then re-assign him, does he have to again clear waivers to go back down?  Or is it once waived, always waived, that season?

They only need to clear waivers again if they have played 10 or more games or been recalled for 30 or more days. 

27 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If either play ~3/4 of the season and show well as a good veteran bottom 6 option (particularly Ruutu with the ability to play C), a playoff team would gladly spend a 3rd/4th for their services IMO or could make a good sweetener in a larger package deal.

This year is going to be a weird TDL. People are going to be looking to acquire guys under contract they can expose to the expansion draft, so Hansen might have really high value since he could contribute to a run and also serve to protect other players by leaving him exposed. Plus if Skille is playing that much its going to be a hard year for us! 

13 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Bingo.  But I'd have Gauncer on the 4th line over Burr.  But that's wishful thinking...

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Say what you will about cap? But that decision has already been made. We did not buy out Burrows.

My opinion is he is our 13th man! And salary aside, the consummate pro who will bust his hump whenever given a shift, he could be the perfect for that role?

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Ya cause we always trade guys for picks at the deadline. 

Haven't had a ton of opportunity given our lack of depth and NTC's handcuffing moves. Both of those things are changing my little black and white Labamba.

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

JB basically confirmed Biega was kept for expansion reasons.  He liked Pedan and was crossing his fingers he'd clear

The Canucks realize the first two weeks of the season are going to be very important considering the number of games, so they'll want to ice the best team possible.  If Beiga stays maybe the plan is to get him his 19 then replace him with Stecher, but I don't really see how Biega gives us the best lineup.  If they end up sending Gaunce down, then perhaps they figure one of the PTO's with their veteran experience gives them a better shot. 

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Say what you will about cap? But that decision has already been made. We did not buy out Burrows.

My opinion is he is our 13th man! And salary aside, the consummate pro who will bust his hump whenever given a shift, he could be the perfect for that role?

I tend to agree. My projected guess at the lineup:

Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson

Baer, Horvat, Rodin

Granlund, Sutter, Hansen

Ruutu/Burr, Gaunce, Dorsett

Burr/Ruutu (Gives both the old guys good rest)

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa, Stetcher

Tryamkin, Larsen

Miller, Markstrom

Personally I also sign Skille to a comfortable 2 way (say $700/$150) and attempt to waive him.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The Canucks realize the first two weeks of the season are going to be very important considering the number of games, so they'll want to ice the best team possible.  If Beiga stays maybe the plan is to get him his 19 then replace him with Stecher, but I don't really see how Biega gives us the best lineup.  If they end up sending Gaunce down, then perhaps they figure one of the PTO's with their veteran experience gives them a better shot. 

Keeping Biega like they are means a couple of things. 

JB is open to the idea of trading Sbisa and thus will rely on Biega to be exposed on expansion.

Biega will be more than a 8th D, he will be getting NHL games to make sure he clears the 19 game limit.

Stecher likely starts in the AHL. 

And finally It means he was more concerned about the possibility of Sbisa being traded/ injured and having Biega as back up over the concern of having Pedan in canucks future. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

? Gaunce better than Jake?

Right now, IMO yes. 3 years from now, probably not.

Give Virtanen the mentoring Gaunce got from Travis Green and Jake will jump as many levels as Gaunce did. 

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If Burrows has trouble keeping up, I can see him being sent to Utica as Higgins was last year. Would hate to see that happen, but I don't think Benning would hesitate to do it if he's being outplayed by other guys.

Will not be surprised to see Burrows retire after this season and join the front office either here or possible coaching staff in Utica. I think he will be with the Canucks in some capacity for years to come!

Burrows would easily pass through waivers.  Nobody will take his $4.5 million cap hit...

Larsen will stick with the team, because if he doesn't, they lose him. But, with Pedan being waived and unclaimed, I expect Pedan to fill in for Larsen when he goes down with an injury. The way he was hammered last night, he will get injured. Stecher is getting a taste right now and won't be on the team to start the year. That's my guess.

Archived