The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BENNING ON 1040 OCTOBER 7TH

AlwaysACanuckFan

7 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yup. Again I'd direct folks to the General Fanager site - it explains all of this really well, and you get to check out the other teams situations. Chicago e.g., is going to lose a good young player for sure due to all their NMCs. 

No kidding. There's 1 expansion team & people think they're after The Canucks' unprotected players only.

29 other teams are going to have players on that list too. Maybe one of our guys gets picked?

2 hours ago, coastal1 said:

The top line is built around 2 proud 36 year olds! After that there is a significant talent drop. There is no stud on defence and only decent goaltending. it is not a a matter of luck or desire, it is a matter of talent not being there at this point. Why is every hockey pseudo expert picking the canucks as the worse team in the league? I know most of them are useless but some have played hockey before and can see what is going on. Your point sounded better as sarcasm.

It doesn't matter that our top players are 36, if the name on the backs of their jerseys are "Sedin" (hey look they are).  Eriksson is not a significant talent drop.  And we have lots of young guys on the upswing (hard to gauge at the moment - they may surprise).  We have plenty of studs on defence.  Maybe we don't have one superstar but we have good depth and decent skill and that may be just as important (one guy can go down and we will still be effective).  I think that our D core is much improved and will surprise a lot of people.  Canucks are the favourite whipping boy of hacks and haters everywhere so I don't put a lot of stock in the professional prognostications.  You make it sound like optimism is a crime.  Winning starts with thinking that we can win (from the players and the fans).  And even if we don't win, it's better to think we can than to constantly put our own team down.  A little optimism is in order.  Why have such negative thoughts when we haven't even started yet?  GCG!

21 hours ago, k_man08 said:

I haven't heard anything about Cole Cassels this pre-season. Anyone know what's going on with him?

Cassels got an assist on Subban goal.    3-1  Preseason loss to Syracuse  in first preseason game

On 2016-10-08 at 5:37 PM, nux_win said:

It doesn't matter that our top players are 36, if the name on the backs of their jerseys are "Sedin" (hey look they are).  Eriksson is not a significant talent drop.  And we have lots of young guys on the upswing (hard to gauge at the moment - they may surprise).  We have plenty of studs on defence.  Maybe we don't have one superstar but we have good depth and decent skill and that may be just as important (one guy can go down and we will still be effective).  I think that our D core is much improved and will surprise a lot of people.  Canucks are the favourite whipping boy of hacks and haters everywhere so I don't put a lot of stock in the professional prognostications.  You make it sound like optimism is a crime.  Winning starts with thinking that we can win (from the players and the fans).  And even if we don't win, it's better to think we can than to constantly put our own team down.  A little optimism is in order.  Why have such negative thoughts when we haven't even started yet?  GCG!

Look how  you use the word 'surpise' is your assessment of next year:

- lots of young guys on the upswing (hard to gauge at the moment - they may surprise)

- I think that our D core is much improved and will surprise a lot of people

Surprises are by definition, unexpected events. So what do you expect next year?

3 hours ago, k_man08 said:

Interesting.. I was expecting him to make it to our roster by now.. so much was said about him shutting out McDavid in juniors during playoffs.. i figured he would have made a case for a spot by now..

Playing in the show is Earned never GIVEN 

Unless of course as a Canuck and  you played jr hockey in ... Medicine Hat 

On 10/7/2016 at 0:39 PM, DJSkingz said:

They need to be really careful here. The reason Stecher chose us is management showed that they stick to their word when they say that they will make room for a young guy if he shows he deserves to be here. Well Stecher sure has. If they send him down it will send the wrong message.

They need to waive Etem. He has shown nothing that screams "I want a spot on this team". I also think he would clear. If he doesn't then we really don't lose that much.

BUF

Sbisa

Etem

Subban

VAN

?

10 hours ago, k_man08 said:

Interesting.. I was expecting him to make it to our roster by now.. so much was said about him shutting out McDavid in juniors during playoffs.. i figured he would have made a case for a spot by now..

He was rehabbing from injury all of last season - they had to manage his schedule between off-ice training/playing games to allow him time to heal completely.  He should be back on track this year.

9 hours ago, Me_ said:

BUF

Sbisa

Etem

Subban

VAN

?

Personally, I don't want Kane on our team.  He may have an electric upside but he also has a big downside.  Management has gone on record that they not only want players with skill but also with good character and attitude (and I like that).  Kane has the skills but not the right attitude.  It could change but is it really worth the gamble?  A cohesive room makes all the players play better because the players want to play for each other instead of for themselves.  GCG!

Archived