The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

You know what team is going to be great in 2 years. The Edmonton frickin Oilers. They have great management, and elite scoring talent coming up the ranks. They need a few solid D-men and they will be looking good. Flame me if you want, but it's true, the Northwest Division will get competitive again. That's the nature of the salary cap world. And no, the Islanders will always suck since they have horrible management, and no quality free agents will want to sign there.

Edited by Nucks-4-Life

You know what team is going to be great in 2 years. The Edmonton frickin Oilers. They have great management, and elite scoring talent coming up the ranks. They need a few solid D-men and they will be looking good. Flame me if you want, but it's true, the Northwest Division will get competitive again. That's the nature of the salary cap world. And no, the Islanders will always suck since they have horrible management, and no quality free agents will want to sign there.

They have crap management. 2 years straight of tanking and you call that good?

The objective of this sport is to win games... not lose and get top picks.

When Stamkos put up 42G50A92P in 63GP in the OHL in 2006-2007, Tavares put up 72G62A134P in 67GP. At the same age, Taylor Hall put up 45G39A84P in 63GP.

When Stamkos put up 58G47A105P in 61GP in his draft year 2007-2008, Tavares put up 40G78A118P in 59GP. At the same age, Taylor Hall put up 38G52A90P in 63GP.

When Stamkos put up 1G5A6P in 7 games in 2008 WJC, Tavares put up 4G1A5P in 7 games. Taylor Hall could not crack the 2009 WJC squad.

So it's not that ridiculous to suggest that John Tavares will be better than Stamkos and Hall. He already was in juniors.

The thing that differentiates and makes Stamkos and Hall look much better than Tavares is their dynamic speed. Same thing happened with Ovechkin and Crosby. In the beginning, Ovechkin seemed to be the better player of the two, as he possessed the dynamic speed that Crosby did not possess. This allowed Ovechkin to adjust and play his game better than Crosby in the beginning. But eventually, Crosby's skills took over, and it was clear by last season who the best player in the world was - Crosby.

Tavares is going to be better than Stamkos and Hall. These guys rely on their speed and that allows them to be successful faster. However, they are one-trick ponies like Ovechkin. Tavares has to develop various skills in order to dominate at the NHL level like Crosby did - it is going to take him longer to adjust to the NHL than Stamkos or Hall because he doesn't possess the dynamic speed that those guys lean on. Crosby was already a level above Tavares when he entered the league, so I'm not saying Tavares will reach the level Crosby is at now - he never will. But it won't be long until Tavares reaches his potential - the level that Crosby was when he was 18 (100 point player).

Tavares will never be as good as Crosby, because Crosby is simply the best. But Tavares will be better than Stamkos and Hall.

Thats a good post. It seemed like Stamkos was unstoppable at the beginning of the season last year, then he really trailed off towards the end and in the playoggs. I wonder if teams started figuring out how to stop him.

Thats a good post. It seemed like Stamkos was unstoppable at the beginning of the season last year, then he really trailed off towards the end and in the playoggs. I wonder if teams started figuring out how to stop him.

Also take into consideration that Stamkos, in his first three seasons, had a Hart finalist winger in St. Louis, and a supporting cast of Lecavalier and Downie.

Tavares, in his first two seasons, had a then-25-year-old winger (Matt Moulson) that had 6 career NHL goals before scoring 61 goals in the two seasons Tavares fed him the puck, and a then-27-year-old winger (PA Parenteau) that had 3 career NHL goals before scoring 20 in the one season he got to play with Tavares.

ALL THE WHILE, Tavares created his own chances and scored 53 goals and 121 points in 161 games. Stamkos had 71 goals and 141 points in 161 games (both Tavares and Stamkos played 161 games in their first two seasons). Only a total of 20 more points in the first two seasons, while playing on the top line with St. Louis...Really. Who's better? The guy feeding two career-AHLers to score 20, 30 goals per season or the guy feeding off a Hart finalist winger and scoring only 20 more points than the other guy?

Franchise players make others around him better. Tavares is doing just that. Even Hall to a certain extent is doing that with a young talented supporting cast. Stamkos? Well, who's benefiting who? Is it Stamkos that's making St. Louis look good, or is it St. Louis that's making Stamkos look good? Is it any surprise that St. Louis got the Hart nod and not Stamkos? I think that should answer our question.

St. Louis is the franchise player making Stamkos look good. If Tavares had a veteran like St. Louis to lean on, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now, because it wouldn't even be debatable who the best player out of Stamkos, Tavares, and Hall would be.

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 3

Talk to Chicago and Pittsburgh about strategy in the salary cap world. That's how its done these days.

Edmonton's going to be savage to play against in the upcoming years. Give them 3-5 seasons, and they will be a threat.

I'm actually pulling for Edmonton and the Islanders to become a threat. It's been too long for the two historic organizations with the last great dynasty teams at the bottom of the standings. I'm pulling for Tavares and Hall to save their respective franchises.

At the moment, I just see Tavares as a more talented, mature and complete player, which is why I think the Islanders will become a good team. Hall needs a legit #1 center to be the great player he's projected to be - maybe RNH can fill those shoes.

ONE THING that NYI has that EDM does not - depth at defence. NYI has developed a serious core of defenders that could potentially be very good players - they already have Mark Streit to begin with, and now Hamonic and De Haan. Hamonic and De Haan could be deadly in a couple years, while EDM does not have that organizational depth at the backend.

Chicago had Keith and Seabrook. Pittsburgh had Gonchar and Letang. Edmonton better realize that they need defense to start winning. NYI has the right idea - they have two very promising young defensemen. Edmonton is close, but they still need to seriously work on their defense IMO before they are to be taken seriously any time soon.

Edited by Dasein

Edmonton's going to be savage to play against in the upcoming years. Give them 3-5 seasons, and they will be a threat.

I'm actually pulling for Edmonton and the Islanders to become a threat. It's been too long for the two historic organizations with the last great dynasty teams at the bottom of the standings. I'm pulling for Tavares and Hall to save their respective franchises.

At the moment, I just see Tavares as a more talented, mature and complete player, which is why I think the Islanders will become a good team. Hall needs a legit #1 center to be the great player he's projected to be - maybe RNH can fill those shoes.

ONE THING that NYI has that EDM does not - depth at defence. NYI has developed a serious core of defenders that could potentially be very good players - they already have Mark Streit to begin with, and now Hamonic and De Haan. Hamonic and De Haan could be deadly in a couple years, while EDM does not have that organizational depth at the backend.

Chicago had Keith and Seabrook. Pittsburgh had Gonchar and Letang. Edmonton better realize that they need defense to start winning. NYI has the right idea - they have two very promising young defensemen. Edmonton is close, but they still need to seriously work on their defense IMO before they are to be taken seriously any time soon.

In 5 seasons, I doubt the Oilers hang on to some of their very good prospects.

I hope you have actually watched Tavares play rather than just spouting numbers because it will make you look stupid. The only problem with your junior numbers is that you didn't need the blazing speed to produce as many points but a great set of hands. And I will not knock the fact that Tavares quite possible has some of the best in tight hands in the NHL but he doesn't have the speed to put up as many points as Stamkos or Hall. And if you have watched Tavares play you will notice that most/all of his goals are rebounds and in tight. And of your point considering the speed difference between Crosby and Ovechkin... they are both pretty fast fyi. Tavares is really really slow... comparable skating ability to hodgson. And just to give you some stats Steven Stamkos has had back to back 90 point seasons and Tavares just reached 70 this season. Taylor Hall was just a rookie who isn't as comparable yet.

Edit: Are you going to knock the Sedins playing ability because they have each other? Maybe A. Kopitar is better than Henrik Sedin because he doesn't have the same class of players around him?

Edited by A. Kopitar

I disagree with the part you said Great management. It's crap management. They hired a GM which was never qualified enough to manage our team. Tambellini has been sticking around in our team for 18 years, and never got the management role. But yea, with the players they've been drafting they will have a good team, only by virture of those players they drafted, (Hall, Hopkins).

Disappointed that Rodin hasn't gotten a single pre-season game yet.

A message from the organization? He needs to bulk up for sure. Or maybe his chronic shoulder problem is back...

• Upvote 1

Disappointed that Rodin hasn't gotten a single pre-season game yet.

A message from the organization? He needs to bulk up for sure. Or maybe his chronic shoulder problem is back...

Didn't he play on the 3rd line in the home game of the double header? Regardless, I agree that his play has been pretty underwhelming thus far. He had that nice goal in the Prospects tourny, but besides that he hasn't really WOWed anyone. It'll probably take him a year to become accustomed to living in N/A, as well as playing on the smaller ice surface. For some guys that transition is seamless, and for others it takes a bit of time. Hopefully he'll get a few more pre-season games in before getting sent to the Wolves though. Coming into this year, I thought Rodin was going to be a real darkhorse to make the team, but that's looking less likely. Jensen on the other hand....

edit: Looks like Rodin was sent down today. Guess he hadn't done enough in practise to garner further ice time this pre-season. All the best to him in Chicago!

Edited by dbamford

• 2 weeks later...