The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN - CGY and VAN - OTT

Noble 6

Now, before you start, I know how unlikely a trade within the division is, especially when both teams are giving up key players. I also know how we all feel about former 18 year old Sam Bennet, but hopefully we can look past that and consider this. I know how unlikely this first one is, but it's still fun to throw ideas around.

After the expansion draft:

To CGY:

Tanev + 4th 2017 = 4.45 million

To VAN:

Bennet + Wideman (cap dump) + 1st 2017 + 3rd 2017 = 6.175 million

Calgary adds a top-pairing right handed defensman to an already strong defense core. With this, they get one of, if not the best blue lines in the league. This makes them better now for a playoff push and allows them to compete sooner. They also dump Wideman's reputation and contract which is a big boost. They free up cap space and essentially replace Wideman with Tanev on defense, while losing a struggling forward and a couple of picks. Their lineup for the rest of the year would look something like this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Versteg

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik

Bouma - Stajan - Brouwer

Ferlund - Hamilton - Chiasson

Giordano - Tanev

Brodie - Hamilton

Jokipakka - Engelland 

The Canucks add a young center that has a lot of potential. He was the 4th overall pick in 2014 and fits the Benning mold of being hard to play against perfectly. He has struggled a bit this season after a good rookie season last year. He is fast, skilled, smart and has decent size to go with a great motor. I'm sure you guys have heard all this before, so I'll stop there. We also add a 1st and a 3rd this year which will hopefully increase our chances at landing a good player. We take back some cap, but we can take it by putting Dorsett on LTIR since we will be over the cap by about 2 million. Overall we add 2 big pieces for our future. 

Now, if we add in a trade that I've previously proposed for Lazar, we would be set at center long term:

At the trade deadline: 

To OTT:

Hansen

5th 2017

To VAN:

Lazar 

3rd 2017

4th 2017

Long term, we add 2 young centers and a 1st round pick. Combined with what we already have, our core starts to fill out at forward:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

________ - Bennet - ________

Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen

_________ - Lazar - Lockwood

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Hutton - Tryamkin

Brisebois - Stetcher

I don't know about you guys, but that center group looks amazing. We have 2 lefties and 2 righties for faceoffs and all of them play a responsible 200ft game. All that's missing are a couple of 2nd line players and we are in good shape. That's the kind of depth I would want to enter the Playoffs with. Overall I think we end up a better team especially when you factor in the extra picks we get in this draft. 

What do you guys think?

I love the idea.  Looks great for us.

I don't think Calgary goes for this.  Sam Bennet is on pace to equal last years totals.  Dennis Wideman would be our leading scorer on defense just coming over.  He is #4 on their depth chart.  Sam is still a young quality prospect, not sure why they would trade him, plus a top 4 D plus 2 picks.  Seems like a massive over payment for Tanev.

Tanev for Bennet + a 3rd pick maybe.

I also like the idea of Lazar, but again I'm not sure if Hanson would get us Lazar straight up let alone adding picks. 

Just my thoughts.  Like I said, looks awesome for the Canucks not so much for the other teams. 

49 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Flames say no for a few reasons.

Tanev would be 4th on their D depth. 

They don't have enough offensive depth to move on from Bennett

Flames have some really good D in their AHL system

and the biggest reason Expansion draft. 

I wrote above it that this trade would happen after the expansion draft. As of right now, the Flames are in a decent situation with the expansion, but making this trade before then wouldn't work as they would lose a forward. 

Also, as general response, taking Wideman back would increase the value for us. We give them about 2 million in cap space which is an asset by itself. 

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I wrote above it that this trade would happen after the expansion draft. As of right now, the Flames are in a decent situation with the expansion, but making this trade before then wouldn't work as they would lose a forward. 

Also, as general response, taking Wideman back would increase the value for us. We give them about 2 million in cap space which is an asset by itself. 

Wideman is UFA though. If the deal happens after expansion draft why wouldn't wideman just wait two weeks and see how much he can get on the open market.  That's not really any value for the canucks.

And since Wideman is ufa and flames don't plan on resigning him, the cap space saved by the flames doesn't matter since they were going to save cap space anyways.

While it would be great to get those players unfortunately the value from the Canucks is not even in the same universe nvm the same ballpark... Gonna cost way way way more than Tanev + a 4th to get that haul from Calgary and Hansen +5th would not get you Lazar never mind the +.

Now there are a lot on here that think Tanev is worth Crosby or some other dream piece because NJ got Hall for Larsen. Never mind that Larsen is far more valuable than Tanev, it was a one off trade that did not set the market whatsoever.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Flames say no for a few reasons.

Tanev would be 4th on their D depth. 

They don't have enough offensive depth to move on from Bennett

Flames have some really good D in their AHL system

and the biggest reason Expansion draft. 

I would say 2nd. According to this article "Chris Tanev is the best shutdown defenseman in the NHL." (http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2016/8/16/12481256/the-top-20-defensemen-in-the-nhl-right-now-for-real)

Plus I wish people would stop trying to make our division better, particularly on D.

Also, Hansen is being sold for a song, imo. 

No's all around OP, sorry. 

5 hours ago, Pears said:

That's what everyone said about Horvat. Look at him now. 

I'd rather have Gaunce than Lazar tbh. 

It's quite amazing how former Edmonton oil kings (Griffen Reinhart, Lazar, Henrik Samuelsson, Mitch Moroz, etc) who were all very promising prospects a few years ago are struggling to make an impact.

Archived