The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well said.   For anyone who needs an education on people being unrealistic just go to the Virtanen thread or even in the past year the Juolevi thread.   At least the worst of the insane harsh crap has gone away with Virtanen - and the kid is still only 21!   Juolevi is 19 and just ended the season with his team as their go to #1 Dman....a real bust is he.

Give the kids some room to grow and develop and in a couple of years the Canucks will be a real force.   The path of every player is different - some take longer and some just don't make it but a supportive fan base that embraces the path and encourages the development versus expecting the kids to be finished products.    It took the Sedins four or five NHL seasons AFTER they stayed in Europe post draft.   It took Bertuzzi about same length of time to hit his stride.   

It is an exciting time to be following the Vancouver Canucks.   Players like Dahlen likely need another year either in Europe and/or AHL before getting some NHL games and probably two more seasons until he can be considered a legitimate threat to take a full-time role with the team.   He will be an ancient 22 at that point so while retirement will be just around the corner for him as some seem to think.

Go Canucks and Go Dahlen!

I'm sorry Robb, I have not checked if I feature much in that thread but I have the feeling I have posted a few times. That being the case, I will not accept a rebuke from anyone for saying many of the things coaches like WD and TG probably said to him in private.

I don't accept that criticising a young player for turning up out of condition (by a lot) or running his mouth off when he should keep quiet as the faults were clearly his, is insane or harsh. It is the fact that other young players can be professional and sensible while he couldn't that opens him up to criticism.

Thankfully he has seen sense and is now starting to fulfil his potential, however if he had not been so silly to begin with, there is no denying he would be further down the line now.

As I have said many a time on here, I don't give a damn for players, young or old, who in the scheme of things are just passing through, I'm only concerned with the fortunes of the hockey Club I support. If I see things that imo are not helping my Club I feel entitled to comment.

13 hours ago, khay said:

WCE?? Virt has long way to go before being on the same level as Bert. Bert could make plays and to be honest, he was bigger and much stronger. I don't think anyone was stronger than Bert, even Chara. Jake is faster though. And Nazzy was the best winger, maybe best player in the NHL in the early 2000's. Boeser has a lot of ways to go.

The thing I don't like about Virt-Horvat-Boeser line is that it lacks a playmaker. It has two guys that can rush and drive the puck in Virt and Bo. But I think you only need one on each line.

The line that I see in the future if Virt pulls it together is Virt-Pettersson-Boeser.

Elite playmaker. A driver that can rush and gain the zone. A finisher.

If Boeser plays with Pettersson, I think he may get 50 goals one day and may claim the best winger title at some point (unfortunately, the best player title will be hard due to the guy picked #1 overall in the same year as Boeser).

Second line will have Dahlen and Horvat. A driver in Horvat. All around offensive player in Dahlen. It would be great if we can add Hossa type player to compliment Dahlen-Horvat pair.

I think that is a good line that might work well. However I'm not sure Jake is consistent enough in front of goal to be on that line yet. I might be inclined to try Baertschi there first.

13 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Horvat and Boeser are both excellent playmakers....maybe watch them play next year....!

EP with Dahlen and Virtanen....Baer / Bo / BB until they turn cold if they ever do....!

Boeser is indeed a good playmaker. But he is even better finisher. He knows where to go and you give him a moment, the puck will get by you.

So, I think it's better if Boeser doesn't have to focus primarily on making plays but rather on separating himself from defenders and generate space for himself for the puck to be fed to him by an elite playmaker. We happen to have one.

18 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Many on CDC ARE real Canuck fans who want to see that we have realistic expectations for our prospects and players.  I have seen this group all too often turn on guys when they don't live up to the fan boys expectations.  If our prospects and players exceed our realistic hopes, then that will be a wonderful thing to celebrate, but I hate to see people on CDC dumping on our prospects because they don't live up to unrealistic expectations. 

The only ones who "turn on guys" are the very ones who made the expectations in the first place.  "Real fans" understand that players develop at different rates and are thus unmoved by the fan boys' despair, nor that from the ones who love jump all over any prospect who doesn't become an immediate star, or heaven forbid, someone taken later shows better earlier.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, khay said:

Boeser is indeed a good playmaker. But he is even better finisher. He knows where to go and you give him a moment, the puck will get by you.

So, I think it's better if Boeser doesn't have to focus primarily on making plays but rather on separating himself from defenders and generate space for himself for the puck to be fed to him by an elite playmaker. We happen to have one.

I think they will try EP / Bo / BB at some point in the early going next year...that line will Kill...(said in a "Forged in Fire" style accent)....

Still want EP at centre by seasons end though....and playing with Dahlen...

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Andersson may not be the most impartial judge of Dahlen's abilities. I'd want to keep him for the next one or two years if I were in Andersson's shoes too.

Same as Pettersson's coach lol. He's like he may need 1 more development before heading to the NHL.

They want to make money too I guess. :)

7 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I think all Ryan said was that he would be joining the team on Wed, they will put him through some paces and will see where he is at by the weekend. Im assuming he will play.

Edit: found the tweet from 1040

I will hunt for that interview when it becomes available. Curious what all he says.  I love me some Johnathan Dahlen lol. Any word on Juolevi?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rush17 said:

I will hunt for that interview when it becomes available. Curious what all he says.  I love me some Johnathan Dahlen lol. Any word on Juolevi?

thanks!

regarding Juolevi...yup..i just posted the 1040 quote in the Juolevi thread...its kinda up in the air if hes going to the world championships..

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

thanks!

regarding Juolevi...yup..i just posted the 1040 quote in the Juolevi thread...its kinda up in the air if hes going to the world championships..

Audio interview: Johnson

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/johnson-dahlen-will-get-chance-to-play-in-utica-1.1052721

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rush17 said:

It appears they want to go slow with him. He is expected to arrive very soon along with Motte, Goldobin, and Sautner. They feel it's best to start him off slow and see where his game is at (at) the AHL level.  They will monitor his ice time and how he's doing. If he does well he will be given more responsibilies. 

Slow and steady for Dahlen. I suspect he will blow their doors off. Utica has 3 games this weekend before the playoffs. Dahlen is expected to play friday after some practice Thursday.

Utica is likely going to face the Marlies Toronto's farm team or the crunch i believe Tampa's team.  Both are very good team.

• Cheers 1

If Dahlen arrives from Sweden on Wednesday, he'll need at least a couple of days to adjust to the time change before a heavy workout or game. I once ran a half marathon in Stockholm the day after I arrived. Just about nearly killed me lol

Really excited for Dahlen to play for the Comets in their playoffs. He'll get used to playing on the smaller ice, maybe help them win a championship with Lind, Gadj, Jasek and Demko? What about Juolevi? Is TPS done? If so, will he also be joining the Comets? 

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If Dahlen arrives from Sweden on Wednesday, he'll need at least a couple of days to adjust to the time change before a heavy workout or game. I once ran a half marathon in Stockholm the day after I arrived. Just about nearly killed me lol

Really excited for Dahlen to play for the Comets in their playoffs. He'll get used to playing on the smaller ice, maybe help them win a championship with Lind, Gadj, Jasek and Demko? What about Juolevi? Is TPS done? If so, will he also be joining the Comets? 

Lol ya I would imagine it's hard. He is slated to arrive Wednesday. Practice Thursday. Then they hope to get him in some games this weekend. To me some would be 2 of the 3 games.

Whether that be Saturday Sunday or Friday Sunday. Or what not. :) we shall see how it goes. Motte, Goldie, and Sautner arrive tonight.

Edited by Rush17
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Lol ya I would imagine it's hard. He is slated to arrive Wednesday. Practice Thursday. Then they hope to get him in some games this weekend. To me some would be 2 of the 3 games.

Whether that be Saturday Sunday or Friday Sunday. Or what not. :) we shall see how it goes. Motte, Goldie, and Sautner arrive tonight.

I think we should just play him on Sunday tbh. Hes prob exhausted