The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

Finished listening to Uffe Bodin on 650, one of the masterminds of Eliteprospects https://twitter.com/UffeBodin.

He talked mostly about Canuck prospects Elias and Jonathan. On Pettersson, he said that he had gotten off to a slow start in the playoffs. That he may have been caught off guard by the increase in the intensity and physicality. Elias has been able to adapt though, and has been really producing.

When asked if he was ready for the NHL and the increase in physicality, Uffe feels that hockey wise he is ready. He will need to adapt to the much longer NHL season. He also needs to fill out and does not expect him to be a Calder candidate (if I remember correctly). His elusiveness combined with the high IQ and awareness, will enable him to avoid the hits. Said that the NHL game has changed since the Sedins came into the league and that Pettersson's transition to the NHL will be easier (paraphrased).

Concerning his comments on Dahlen, he is the best player on the team and that he grew a lot by fulfilling his promise to get his team promoted. That Dahlen is a scorer and is very fast. He mentioned that Dahlen was fast a couple of times.

Edited by Alexandre
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh, Jake was more than a bit to blame but also were his junior coaches.   I have no problem putting the onus on the player to be in shape and to be a professional but slack to kids, particularly kids who have all the talent in the world and never really knew "work".   When you are in junior hockey, there is little time for a workout routine given all the bus time and school requirements.     

I was more pointing to the people complaining about any kid, and Jake got more than his fair share, of criticism for not being an instant NHL star at 18.    These kids all have different paths and no question, hold them to account for the things they can control but they don't control the place they are drafted, they don't control the team that picks them and they don't control how quickly their mind and body matures.  Some of the things they can control Jake didn't do a stellar job but Green fixed that in Utica and you can now see the first fruits of what I still contend is a much higher ceiling yet.

I wasn't arguing on any of that. I was defending the right of anyone to post their opinion on a player regardless of age when he quite obviously is disregarding what he has been told by the coaches. 

I maybe wrong but you seem to imply that WD has some kind of culpability in this unprofessional approach. You forget it was WD who stood by him and got him back on track the previous year (after the WJC fiasco) and in fact he had a promising end to his first season. He then decided that the weight/fitness level/stamina he left with at the start of the summer was not for him and proceeded to become the Michelin Man. WD gave him tough love  - as Green would do to-day if he came back in that shape. He then seemed to tune out and Jimbo sent him down for intensive training (not playing mind, because Green saw he was not fit for decent minutes) I think Green also probably gave him some hard advice as to his attitude and expectations if he didn't take coaching and fitness on board.

There is an overwhelming desire on these boards to somehow ALWAYS blame the Club in these type of player problems and it is crass. This is a pro sport and that automatically means that if some rookie wants to give his coaches the plastic ear and somehow think the rules will be re-written to suit him then he better give himself a dose of reality because there are other youngsters coming up all the time who will appreciate the chance and do things the right way.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I wasn't arguing on any of that. I was defending the right of anyone to post their opinion on a player regardless of age when he quite obviously is disregarding what he has been told by the coaches. 

I maybe wrong but you seem to imply that WD has some kind of culpability in this unprofessional approach. You forget it was WD who stood by him and got him back on track the previous year (after the WJC fiasco) and in fact he had a promising end to his first season. He then decided that the weight/fitness level/stamina he left with at the start of the summer was not for him and proceeded to become the Michelin Man. WD gave him tough love  - as Green would do to-day if he came back in that shape. He then seemed to tune out and Jimbo sent him down for intensive training (not playing mind, because Green saw he was not fit for decent minutes) I think Green also probably gave him some hard advice as to his attitude and expectations if he didn't take coaching and fitness on board.

There is an overwhelming desire on these boards to somehow ALWAYS blame the Club in these type of player problems and it is crass. This is a pro sport and that automatically means that if some rookie wants to give his coaches the plastic ear and somehow think the rules will be re-written to suit him then he better give himself a dose of reality because there are other youngsters coming up all the time who will appreciate the chance and do things the right way.

Nope, I talked of JV's junior coaches.   Don't think I mentioned WD once even by implication.   He needed to learn the pro game and WD tried to teach him and likely some good stuff rubbed off but JV needed much more and the year in Utica away from all the constant media attention expectation did him a world of good.

I didn't blame the club once I don't think - I reread what I said and I know what I was thinking so not sure how you came to that conclusion.   I think I clearly said he wasn't mentally mature enough for the NHL and Green helped him get there.    

12 hours ago, Alexandre said:

Finished listening to Uffe Bodin on 650, one of the masterminds of Eliteprospects https://twitter.com/UffeBodin.

He talked mostly about Canuck prospects Elias and Jonathan. On Pettersson, he said that he had gotten off to a slow start in the playoffs. That he may have been caught off guard by the increase in the intensity and physicality. Elias has been able to adapt though, and has been really producing.

When asked if he was ready for the NHL and the increase in physicality, Uffe feels that hockey wise he is ready. He will need to adapt to the much longer NHL season. He also needs to fill out and does not expect him to be a Calder candidate (if I remember correctly). His elusiveness combined with the high IQ and awareness, will enable him to avoid the hits. Said that the NHL game has changed since the Sedins came into the league and that Pettersson's transition to the NHL will be easier (paraphrased).

Concerning his comments on Dahlen, he is the best player on the team and that he grew a lot by fulfilling his promise to get his team promoted. That Dahlen is a scorer and is very fast. He mentioned that Dahlen was fast a couple of times.

Uffe has been high on Dahlen from before he was drafted.    Not sure if it was him or Curtis but they liked Boeser but also didn't think he would be remotely close to Calder consideration....for what it is worth.

Canucks way article: Click here to read

No. 1 – LW Jonathan Dahlén (Timrå IK, SHL)

Did you notice something different? For the first time this season, I have designated Timrå in the SHL. You know what that means. Jonathan Dahlén led his favourite team growing up back to the SHL! Down 3-1 in the promotion series, Timrå rallied back to win three consecutive times and move up from the Allsvenskan.

Dahlén’s team has not been in the SHL since 2013. The talented winger had 14 points in the playoffs, leading his team. 18 years ago, a certain player did the same thing. This special person was like Dahlén. He also played in Timrå and was instrumental in promoting the team to the SHL (called the Swedish Elite League back then).

That player also led Timrå with 14 points and like Dahlén, led the team in points during every year they were there. Henrik Zetterberg is that player. He was Dahlén’s favourite when he was little. Zetterberg is still remembered as a hero to this day for promoting Timrå to the big league. Do you believe in destiny? Dahlén will likely be remembered for doing the same.

Canucks way article: Click here to read

**More in article including a video of young Dahlen doing his best Zetterberg impersonation. Its cute very cute. This is only a 1/3 of the post - recommend the full read/video experience**

Edited by Rush17
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nope, I talked of JV's junior coaches.   Don't think I mentioned WD once even by implication.   He needed to learn the pro game and WD tried to teach him and likely some good stuff rubbed off but JV needed much more and the year in Utica away from all the constant media attention expectation did him a world of good.

I didn't blame the club once I don't think - I reread what I said and I know what I was thinking so not sure how you came to that conclusion.   I think I clearly said he wasn't mentally mature enough for the NHL and Green helped him get there.    

Fair enough. My apologies.

Edited by alfstonker

13 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We should realise that it will not only be the Comets who will be getting gifted players back. So let's not expect too much from Utica - they are still a pretty patchwork team which performed a minor miracle to get to the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

We should realise that it will not only be the Comets who will be getting gifted players back. So let's not expect too much from Utica - they are still a pretty patchwork team which performed a minor miracle to get to the playoffs.

Not expecting too much. I agree. Just getting excited now that the new era is finally arriving. The fact that Dahlen is arriving now shows they're taking advantage of time and serious about acclimating him to NA ice sooner rather than later. 

If anything amid all the disappointment from the season, this gives fans some excitement and hope with Lind and now Dahlen joining the farm. But yeah, we can't expect the world from these guys. Takes time. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like demko lead the way. I am excited for Johnathan but we don't know how seemlessly this transition may go. It may take him a week, two, possibly 3 to get adjusted.  I believe he's further along than Lind tho and his skating is off the walls. 

Then again Jasek dominated from the start coming from the top Czech league. Anything is possible.

• Upvote 2

In the Comets division Rochester probably gained the most when the NHL season ended.  Syracuse and Toronto will have to wait until their parent teams are eliminated before getting restocked but Syracuse gained a big addition in Cal Foote who looked real good against the Comets last weekend.

But I do agree with your statement that it isn't just the Comets that add players just before the AHL players.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

If Dahlen says "my goal is to help the Vancouver Canucks win the Stanley Cup"...you better believe it. Awesome to hear what he did for Timra.

You know will win it if he says that lol

Edited by Rush17