The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on Team 1040 March 9

AlwaysACanuckFan

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

honestly, watching the media try and get Tl or JB to say it has been one of the highlights of the season.  They must laugh so hard when they get back to the office after and interview

It is hilarious. So many clowns in the media and on CDC obsessing over this nonsense. The fact that they have already replaced over 80 percent of the team and transitioned the team from one of the oldest in the league to one of the youngest, replenishing a prospect pool that was virtually empty, isn't good enough. They need to use the word "rebuild", or it's not really happening.

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Glad Benning answered the ridonkulous question this way. I expect them to have Willie back next year, and expect them to trade Megna in the offseason.

Another answer he's given ad nauseum to the hacks on this station. No wonder the Canucks are done with 1040. Thank Gord.

Great answer on this subject and hopefully the nail that shuts the coffin on this non-issue. Benning, Desjardins, Goldobin, and Larionov are fine with the situation, so why does anyone else still care?

Another attempt at stirring a pot that needs to be left cold. Good on Benning for giving a curt answer.

Great news from Benning. Exciting times ahead with Bo at the helm.

What else would he say? They're under contract for one more year. After that, hopefully, a year at a time, on minimal salary.

Boeser joining the team will be a great thing. Another huge piece of the youth movement.

Miller would be great to have as a bridge to the future, but not for $6M AAV.

You don't see megna with a a future on the third or fourth line of this team? He has great speed, he's a good checker and has decent hands. He gets a clean break almost every game. Also he's not skilled enough to ever stop working hard. 

@PhillipBlunt

Why do you think he will be traded? I think he's a valuable 3rd or 4th line player.

People do realize he is not actually a top 6 player he was just being deployed as one right??

Why does that detract from what he brings because he can't produce at a level he can't play at???

If someone is a legitimate better option sure but let's all stop pretending like he couldn't earn a spot on this roster. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I know that comment is being somewhat sarcastic, but would there be any way to justify extending him to a four year extension in this off-season?

Has his record been that good?

Is he such a hot commodity that the team would need to lock him up before he get an opportunity to explore else where?

Does the team really believe that he's the best option moving forward with this club for the next 4 years?

This season hasn’t been good, blame it on injuries, roster depth, coaching or a mix of everything but to say WD is a doing enough for an extension is simply asinine.

The Canucks lead for approx 30 minutes total in their first 10 games

Canucks almost set the record for the longest start to a game without a single shot on net.

Two 9 game losing streaks

3rd worst pp in the league

6th worst pk in the league

3rd worst GF/GP

I keep hearing people say he gets the most out of the players he's given and aleast the effort level is there, But I really don't see it. I see more games where this team doesn't show up than games where they play hard for a full 60 minutes.  Outside of Horvat or Tryamkin's play, this has been one of the worst seasons to watch as a fan for excitement value, we play sit back hockey with hopes of squeaking out a win in OT.   What games are people watching where they see good effort level.  I can maybe count the total off full effort on maybe two hands.  Do people just forget about the losing streaks where we’ve sat back until the 3 period.  The streaking where we don’t generate any offense.

I don’t think the players even believe the effort has been up to par this season. Here is some quotes from 12 different post games this year where the players admitted the effort wasn’t there.  If I wanted to spend more time I’m sure I could have found more.  But 12 out of 66 is 18% of our season where the effort hasn’t been there. 

“That’s what we talk about all the time,” captain Henrik Sedin said of the lack of offensive zone time. “We need our Ds to come up and keep pucks in. A lot of times right now, it’s one shot and they rim the puck and the puck is out. It’s tough to create anything because a lot of times it’s on those second and third chances when you create goals. It’s been too much of one-and-done.”

H. Sedin Oct 25

At the same time we didn't play as well as we should have. They are a great hockey team. There is no way we should be giving up five goals against them."

Horvat Oct 30

"It's kind of getting towards rock bottom here, but maybe getting nice and pissed off is good for this club right now,"

Miller nov 5th

"For me, when we're down, we're playing well, and why is that? We're aggressive. We've got to bring that same aggressiveness early on. We're waiting to see what's going to happen in the game, and you can't play that way. You've got to be more aggressive, create your own luck. I think we've got to fix that."

D Sedin Dec 10

“You come into the room after something like that and you’re just shocked,” said Canucks defenceman Erik Gudbranson. “I’m just blown away by what happened. What can you say? We hung Millsey (Miller) out to dry and you feel terrible as a group because he deserves so much better from us. That’s tough.

Gudbranson Dec 12

“Sometimes we have good starts, sometimes we have bad endings,” veteran forward Jannik Hansen said following Tuesday’s 4-1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets, a game Vancouver trailed 1-0 after getting thoroughly outplayed in the first period. “If we knew the answer to that we’d play 60 good minutes every single night, but for some reason we’re having a hard time stringing full games together. ”

Hansen Dec 21

“You need extra effort to win tonight and we didn’t get it. We weren’t making enough plays. Our execution is off and out battle level is not high enough. As a team we didn’t play well enough and our line needs to play a lot better (three shots).

Sedin Dec 23

“We definitely take the win, but it’s not good enough,” Eriksson said. “We gave up too many shots and too many scoring chances. Millsy came up big for us again, and we owe him a lot today. But we got the win, and we know we have another tough game tomorrow against them.”

Eriksson Jan 7

“We’re still sitting back a little bit too much (early in the game). We’re not getting five guys in on the forecheck, so it’s tough to keep pucks in when you’re not getting everyone involved. We need to put more pressure on the other team. But it’s easy to talk about, tough to do. If you’re a little hesitant, the other team is going to come the other way, and that’s been a problem for us.”

Sedin Jan 9th

“The effort just wasn’t there and the passion wasn’t,” added Desjardins. “You have to have passion in games like that and we didn’t seem to have it. I said after the game (to the players) that isn’t acceptable — it’s not what we do. We can always have the passion.”

WD Jan 26

“Breakdowns are gonna happen, but we gave them way too many odd-man rushes and chances in front of our net,” said Daniel Sedin. “A few is fine, but not the number we had tonight.”

Sedin Feb 5

We knew what kind of game we needed to play,” Miller said. “You saw what happened when we got away from it in the third. We started stretching things out and leaving good ice and it didn’t turn out so well. It’s a one-goal game; anything is possible. It’s just disappointing to watch it fall apart in the third.”

Miller Feb 13

I mean really if we have to lets go back through every game this year and rank the full game effort level,  there will be far more games where it’s been lack luster than games that it’s been praise worthy. 

Thank you for this.  

People who expect the GM or President to come out and publicly criticise their coach are dreaming.  Of course they're going to give the 'political' answer every time, it's what you do in their position.  That's why people are ragging on 1040 and the other local media for asking these tired old questions.  

Fact is, Willie has disappointed this year.  The argument that he's getting the best out of his players just doesn't hold up.  Horvat is a bloody all star, can we stop attributing all of his success to Willie Desjardins and maybe some to the fact that from all accounts he is one of the hardest working players on the team!?  And he's carried this reputation since junior, so don't tell me it's all Willie.

It's not to say everything Willie has done is worthy of being fired, but the bad is starting to heavily outweigh the good.

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

This season has been all about development in my mind and Willie and co. are probably thinking the same. Bo, Baer, Granny continue to improve on their game and cement themselves as solid NHLers in the league. Stecher, Tram, Hutty continue to work on their defensive play and learn on how to make their game even better from our vets D Edler, Sbisa, Tanev. we will lose one of the three in this year's ED but it's looking more and more likely that Sbisa will be the casualty but if management finds a way to protect him, that's awesome. he's young, just hitting his prime and will only get better. Gaunce and Goldy have done everything in the AHL and I believe that they are ready to take the next step. they continue to do well as of late but like our young D, they will make mistakes and that's why we have the Sedins, Eriksson, Sutter who are solid NHLers to learn from, great leaders and teach them how to play the game the right way while they learn from their mistakes. Millsy has been a great leader himself and I'd be open to re-sign him to a multi year extension to give Demko time to develop his game in the minors. he's been doing great for Utica as of late but I hope we don't rush him into the NHL. we have to see how he will adjust handling a heavy workload. i hope the kids continue to shine and do well. a win tonight would be great but it's all about the kids

Great insight and I agree except on the multi year deal for Miller. 

Oh yea, also, that was one massive paragraph...hope you're not compensating for something ;-)

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Glad Benning answered the ridonkulous question this way. I expect them to have Willie back next year, and expect them to trade Megna in the offseason.

If this happens I would then expect the earth to split while a rider on a pale white horse named Death appears on the horizon.

Still not a slam dunk Boeser is joining us next season!! Is JB aggressively trying to sign him up soon? Did Boeser himself say he's looking forward to come to Vancouver? I'm not a pessimist but I've just seen way too many American college kids choosing to become free agent after 2 years of draft year....

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

Still not a slam dunk Boeser is joining us next season!!

loud-noises.gif

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

Is JB aggressively trying to sign him up soon? Did Boeser himself say he's looking forward to come to Vancouver? I'm not a pessimist but I've just seen way too many American college kids choosing to become free agent after 2 years of draft year....

remover.gifw500h281.gif

3 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I want Miller back for 2 more years at $5M per.....

Anything over $3M, and it's a mistake.

Marky still hasn't convinced us he can be a capable #1 for majority of season based on the games he's played....

How can Markstrom convince anyone when he's barely been given consecutive starts all year? How is he supposed to develop any rhythm or consistency to his game? 

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The level of desperation that exists in trying to get JB to say "we're rebuilding" is akin to a lawyer thinking the only way that they get prove the guilt of the accused is by getting them to admit it on the stand.

The goal will always be to make the playoffs. This is different from "our singular goal is to make the playoffs". Teams can have multiple goals, including making the playoffs and acquiring and bringing in young players.

Thats a pretty deep concept for some people though. 

Still not a slam dunk Boeser is joining us next season!! Is JB aggressively trying to sign him up soon? Did Boeser himself say he's looking forward to come to Vancouver? I'm not a pessimist but I've just seen way too many American college kids choosing to become free agent after 2 years of draft year....

Actually, no, you haven't seen college kids becoming free agents 2 years after being drafted. Because when you draft college kids, you own their rights for 4 years if you don't sign them. You'll need to come up with some other pretext to "worry" about, because Boesser is Canucks property for about 2 1/2 more years even if they don't sign him.

14 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I have personally heard Boesers coach say they are fully expecting him to make the jump to pros this summer in a interview. Benning has been quoted saying he's going to get him signed This off-season. Craig Button has said he's NHL ready and will make the jump.  This whole FA walking thing is much less common then the player signing with his drafting team. Quit making mountains out of molehill. 

Archived