The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Violator said:

Suburbs mainly and all of those were just in edmonton.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4267757

To bad its colder and more dreary in edmonton cause you can buy a house in edmonton for pretty cheap.

Always lots of blue collar work in edmonton.

Love Edmonton.

So much culture - Theatre and music compared to the STERILE  boring corpse of a City Vancouver.

Vancouver was a decent place before expo 86 destroyed anything interesting vancouver had to offer.  Shame what happened to Vancouver.

Who would want to live in a city that prices out artists, students , young families and  immigrants....  No thanks.   Vancouver is no fun city now. 

8 hours ago, inane said:

Safe to say you're both exaggerating for effect. Easy to point to the worst or best of any city and claim it represents the whole, but of course that's simplistic and dumb. 

There are parts of Surrey you'd mistake for west van or point grey just like there's others you'd think were the dtes and vice versa. When of course the vast majority of both are very similar. 

well a little :blush: but that bar... I don't agree that Surrey is as good a place to live as Vancouver but I'm sure you can find your niche there depending on what you want 

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Love Edmonton.

So much culture - Theatre and music compared to the STERILE  boring corpse of a City Vancouver.

Vancouver was a decent place before expo 86 destroyed anything interesting vancouver had to offer.  Shame what happened to Vancouver.

Who would want to live in a city that prices out artists, students , young families and  immigrants....  No thanks.   Vancouver is no fun city now. 

no artists? oh man you'd better tell the 500 local artists that run this every year this they'd better leave: https://culturecrawl.ca

no theatre or art spaces? get on the horn king: http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/cultural-and-performance-spaces.aspx

seriously King, you have no idea what you are talking about. If your view of the city is based on Expo 86 you really need to come for a visit. 

15 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

well a little :blush: but that bar... I don't agree that Surrey is as good a place to live as Vancouver but I'm sure you can find your niche there depending on what you want 

I don't think so either, but the whole 'surrey is a hellscape' thing is silly. Just a silly as this guy claiming Vancouver is a sterile corpse. But he's always exaggerating stupidly so...

51 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Love Edmonton.

Calling you out.

You've never been to Edmonton.  Ever.

Edmonton has more theaters and music than vancouver?  Give your head a shake

9 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

maybe there's more suburbs? maybe some of the old ones reached their useful life? you'll have to provide some context for this to mean anything. 

No real context needed.  There hasn't been any appreciable money injected in to education in almost 20 years and this is the resulting catch up

Ignoring infrastructure in order to save money means massive injections of cash will eventually be needed at higher costs later on down the road.

Same thing is/will happen in BC due to the issues ignored by the BC Liberals.

The new MLA from Ft. St. John, a Liberal, won by a massive margin.  I wonder if his win could be somewhat attributed to the NDP government doing poorly in Alberta?  That north east region of our province is very much connected to Alberta, even more so than BC.  

Dianne Watts now the possible front runner to head the Bc Liberals.

Anyone care to remember Dianne for a second?

Her and her replacement Hepners "LRT" dreams

Her hit and run marital scandal.  Drinking driving hit that car and ran

Surreys awesome legacy of crime and rampant development without planning

Her epic "Fight the muslim threat at home and abroad" mail outs

Comments about the Browntrification of neighbourhoods

Her fights against this and that as Mayor of Surrey only to turn around as MP and then sign legislation allowing them

The ONLY benefit to her heading the Liberal party at all will be the ability for everyone to finally for once and for all prove that the Liberals are literally no different than the Cons in anything but name and the colour of their jackets.

18 minutes ago, inane said:

I don't think so either, but the whole 'surrey is a hellscape' thing is silly. Just a silly as this guy claiming Vancouver is a sterile corpse. But he's always exaggerating stupidly so...

I know. Whalley is a bit freaky tho you have to admit. Actually a lot of the crime seems to have made its way farther out the valley with Surrey prices going up. 

Just now, Alflives said:

The new MLA from Ft. St. John, a Liberal, won by a massive margin.  I wonder if his win could be somewhat attributed to the NDP government doing poorly in Alberta?  That north east region of our province is very much connected to Alberta, even more so than BC.  

Uh no

It has everything to do with a weak unknown NDP candidate who promised lots of environmental savings to a resource driven region of the province and promises of jobs jobs jobs in LNG...except

You know.

Just a heads up if you're unfamiliar with the area.  A lot of those people live in that area of BC yet work in Alberta, if it's soooo good under the Libs up there, why do they all work out of province ;)

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No real context needed.  There hasn't been any appreciable money injected in to education in almost 20 years and this is the resulting catch up

Ignoring infrastructure in order to save money means massive injections of cash will eventually be needed at higher costs later on down the road.

Same thing is/will happen in BC due to the issues ignored by the BC Liberals.

I guess its a bit mind boggling that with all that money ABs had over the last 40 years, blowing the entire heritage fund, etc. under the PCs that AB would be struggling for infrastructure. I guess the lowest taxes in Canada do come at a cost. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I guess its a bit mind boggling that with all that money ABs had over the last 40 years, blowing the entire heritage fund, etc. under the PCs that AB would be struggling for infrastructure. I guess the lowest taxes in Canada do come at a cost. 

For me that is/was the biggest issue perpetuated by the PCs and even the Cons federally (as well as the Bc Libs)

How on earth can you have spending needs in your population yet claim to have budget surpluses?

Real world scenario

My power bill is $200.  I have $225.00

I saved $225.00 by not paying my bill.

It doesn't fly.  eventually that comes due

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Dianne Watts now the possible front runner to head the Bc Liberals.

Anyone care to remember Dianne for a second?

Her and her replacement Hepners "LRT" dreams

Her hit and run marital scandal.  Drinking driving hit that car and ran

Surreys awesome legacy of crime and rampant development without planning

Her epic "Fight the muslim threat at home and abroad" mail outs

Comments about the Browntrification of neighbourhoods

Her fights against this and that as Mayor of Surrey only to turn around as MP and then sign legislation allowing them

The ONLY benefit to her heading the Liberal party at all will be the ability for everyone to finally for once and for all prove that the Liberals are literally no different than the Cons in anything but name and the colour of their jackets.

whats wrong with light rail south of the Fraser? they need some kind of public transit upgrade desperately, seems to me a C-train model like Calgary has would work great in the valley.

I think you're misreading the situation, she'd appeal to a very large part of the province. None of what you cite would effect her popularity at all. 

9 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

whats wrong with light rail south of the Fraser? they need some kind of public transit upgrade desperately, seems to me a C-train model like Calgary has would work great in the valley.

I think you're misreading the situation, she'd appeal to a very large part of the province. None of what you cite would effect her popularity at all. 

I'd argue the opposite

LRT would cost literal billions if not tens of billions in property costs alone, modeled after Portlands existing system means it would be free for users.  Who pays for that?

That hit and run issue is a big one.

Pointing to the inability make a development plan is a big deal

Her alienating of an entire 1/3rd of the world and support for the barbaric practices hotline (as potential leader of one of the most diverse provinces that IS an issue)

The brownification of the area's is also a HUGE problem.  Surrey has a massive indian community.  

And then to say I won't do it as mayor only to do it as MP.  She's no different at all.  Most importantly though.  How do you go from Conservative MP to potential Liberal Premier with any credibility by promising to support the center when your views and legacy are all on the right?

How exactly am I misreading the situation at all when these are all easily verifiable issues in a world of screen shots and SJW's

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'd argue the opposite

LRT would cost literal billions if not tens of billions in property costs alone, modeled after Portlands existing system means it would be free for users.  Who pays for that?

Her alienating of an entire 1/3rd of the world and support for the barbaric practices hotline (as potential leader of one of the most diverse provinces that IS an issue)

The brownification of the area's is also a HUGE problem.  Surrey has a massive indian community.  

And then to say I won't do it as mayor only to do it as MP.  She's no different at all.  Most importantly though.  How do you go from Conservative MP to potential Liberal Premier with any credibility by promising to support the center when your views and legacy are all on the right?

How exactly am I misreading the situation at all when these are all easily verifiable issues in a world of screen shots and SJW's

nope thats way off - you may not have seen the latest on the LRT: http://globalnews.ca/news/3545483/translink-reveals-new-images-of-surrey-lrt/

I don't see the car accident as a big deal, she's won twice since that, plus didn't it end up being settled?

She does have massive Indian community, thats voted for her over and over again. Its just not that big a deal imo in terms of swaying votes. 

Actually that flip from CPC MP to "Liberal" will play very well in the rural areas, they have wanted to vote for a conservative minded person for a long time!

I'm not saying she'd sweep the province, but she would stand a very good chance at holding what Clark won, plus really challenge for a few more in Surrey and places like Maple Ridge where I think she'd have a lot of appeal, that also won by some pretty small margins. She could very conceivably take both Maple Ridge ridings and claw back 2 from Surrey.  

50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'd argue the opposite

Billions in land costs? Where are you getting that from? Free? You've got a lot of pretty strange points here lol

6 hours ago, inane said:

Billions in land costs? Where are you getting that from? Free? You've got a lot of pretty strange points here lol

To purchase land costs a fair amount of money for infrastructure projects.  To purchase land in the lower mainland....do the math.

You're talking about a surrey and GVRD wide LRT system.  It cost billions just to upgrade the skytrain pre olympics.  

Think it will be less?

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

To purchase land costs a fair amount of money for infrastructure projects.  To purchase land in the lower mainland....do the math.

You're talking about a surrey and GVRD wide LRT system.  It cost billions just to upgrade the skytrain pre olympics.  

Think it will be less?

so whats your alternative? they already have more people than Vancouver. With the Fed's kicking in 1/2 the cash for the project its a good time to get it done.

Archived