The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Off-season decisions

Odd.

Our line-up is significantly lacking in size and physicality. I'd be willing to offload Baertschi, Granlund, and/or Hutton to fix this problem. I'd target Chris Kreider from NYR. 25 year old LW who's a speedy hard hitting PWF that consistently puts up 45-50 points and score 30 goals for you. Had a career year and put up 53 points (28 goals). He's been struggling so far in his current playoff series but he's someone who fits quite nicely in our line up. 

My proposal: Baertschi, our 33rd round pick, William Lockwood (+?) for Chris Kreider

Green becomes our head coach and Dave Lowry becomes Utica's new head coach.

Convince Edler to waive his NTC and acquire a 2nd round pick from him or expose him to the expansion draft (pretty sure he's still eligible depsite NTC?)

Draft Nolan Patrick.

Release Ryan Miller, Cramarossa, and any other potential UFA's. 

Sign a UFA goaltender. Curtis McElhinney would be a perfect short term stop gap. Make Markstrom the starting goalie.

Sign Anthony Peluso(28) and Micheal Stone(26). Peluso is a serviceable 4th liner who can protect the kids in the lineup and play a solid gritty game. Would bring some of that push back we lack. Sign Micheal Stone 2 years at 3.5M. Big bodied two-way defender. Great skater too.

Boeser, Labate and Goldobin make the team. Juolevi does extremely well in training camp and gets his 9 games.

Lineup come 2017-2018 season:

Kreider/Horvat/Boeser

Sedin/Sedin/Goldobin

Granlund/Patrick/Eriksson

Labate/Sutter/Peluso

Dorsett

Hutton/Gudbranson

Sbisa/Tanev

Stone/Stecher

Juolevi

Markstrom

McElhinney

Fast, skilled, strong, and exciting team. Thoughts?

sounds like you have an itchy trigger finger

why would you trade younger upcoming scorers

for a power forward

i assume you have already given up on virt ?
show some patience

let's let the youth mature and develop

there are no quick fixes

this is a rebuilding team that will take time to get the right mix

but we have to first see what we have in our younger players before we start a trading frenzy

change for the sake of change only makes you feel like you are doing something

does not mean that you are doing anything worthwhile

As much as I'd like to get Kreider, I think the Canucks should just stay the course. Draft high and develop the prospects. Eventually the Sedins and Edler will be gone and the kids (and a few players in their prime/vets) will take over this team. I'm looking forward to seeing Lockwood play one day. And as Coastal said, what about Virtanen? He's developing right now and may make the team next year. I recently saw an interview with Virtanen and he seemed different, more humble. He said the right things. I have high hopes for him.

30 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

for a power forward

show some patience

there are no quick fixes

but we have to first see what we have in our younger players before we start a trading frenzy

Kreider is a whopping 1 year older than Baertschi. Consider it an upgrade. 

No I haven't given up on Virtanen and I don't know what makes you think I given up on him. I want him in the AHL cooking and developing. We're going to be getting a lot of good pieces for Utica with Dahlen and among others slotting in. You say show some patience and lets let the youth mature and develop. I'm basically proposing just that. Goldobin and Boeser are NHL ready and there's virtually no way they're going to Utica unless they both crap the bed severely in training camp which I can't see them doing. 

We will be getting Dahlen, potentially Neill, MacEwan, possibly Darren Raddysh all in Utica next year. Virtanen will also have a bigger role and better linemates to play with. Demko will have a chance to become the main starter. Leave them to cook down there, and fill in the positions we need with temporary UFA's WHILE adding prospects over time. Just because we're rebuilding doesn't mean icing the worst line possible. Kreider fits in perfectly with what Benning's been looking for, a massive improvement over Baertschi. And he fits in with the timeline of our rebuild. By the time we're going to be competing, Kreider is going to be in his prime (29-32). 

Kreider the main suggestion above is a move for now AND for the future. The rest are just gaps to fill in meanwhile. McEhilnney is a short term stop gap until Demko is ready which would be in a few years. Stone is a cheaper option to fill in the missing presence of Edler. Stone is 26, which fits with our age group and rebuild. Peluso adds a much needed element of physicality to our line-up. A good player to use on the 4th line to protect the likes of Boeser, Stecher, Goldobin, Patrick, Granlund, Hutton, etc. I hate seeing them getting bullied and no veteran there to back them up. 

This makes us a younger team, while also having a blend of size, speed, skill, and physicality. I'd pay to see that than pay to see a pathetic, piss poor, boring hockey team. We make the playoffs, great. If we don't, top 10 pick it is (next year's top 10 is super deep). 

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Why exactly do the Rangers trade one of  their top scorers for a handful of lesser pieces? 

Baertschi could be on the brink of a break out year. He fits the NYR model of fast, skilled, goal scorers. Although you are right in the sense that they'd be on the losing side of the trade, I think if we can add more pieces without sacrificing the future, it ends up being a trade they can't pass. Especially if Rangers have yet another 1st round exit  they'd be pressured and desperate to move someone. Lucic, for example. was acquired for a mid round pick, a backup goalie, and a depth defenseman. Hell Hanzal, a 3rd line center on a contending team and has never reached more than 41 points was able to fetch a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick as well as a B level prospect and a 4th round pick in 2019. Different situation, however, the proposal above wouldn't be too far off.

27 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Baertschi could be on the brink of a break out year. He fits the NYR model of fast, skilled, goal scorers. Although you are right in the sense that they'd be on the losing side of the trade, I think if we can add more pieces without sacrificing the future, it ends up being a trade they can't pass. Especially if Rangers have yet another 1st round exit  they'd be pressured and desperate to move someone. Lucic, for example. was acquired for a mid round pick, a backup goalie, and a depth defenseman. Hell Hanzal, a 3rd line center on a contending team and has never reached more than 41 points was able to fetch a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick as well as a B level prospect and a 4th round pick in 2019. Different situation, however, the proposal above wouldn't be too far off.

None of what you said justifies your proposal. New York is high on Kreider and you're not offering anything of substance.  There is no reason for them to do this trade.  The trades you quoted where both deadline deals for upcoming UFA's. those teams were going to lose those players for nothing.  Kreider is signed to an affordable cap hit for another 3 seasons past this year. 

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

Lucic, for example. was acquired for a mid round pick, a backup goalie, and a depth defenseman.

Lucic was traded for a mid first round pick( like 15 overall or something) and the "backup goalie" was Martin Jones who is one of the best young goalies in the league and is arguably on the brink of being elite. Jones was of course traded very fast afterwards for yet another first round pick. Boston got 2 first round picks for Lucic. To say we could get a younger and faster version of lucic for that package is a joke

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

If Baertschi is on the brink, why not wait for "that" to occur next year and then unload him in a package for a marquee name?

17 hours ago, coastal.view said:

for a power forward

show some patience

there are no quick fixes

a voice of reason

17 minutes ago, Aircool said:

God some people are dumb. This team is 5 years away. Get over it.

Thanks for your insightful and well informed response. 

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

Thanks for your insightful and well informed response. 

I've made plenty responses in other threads highlighting why. Go find one of them. At some point people are just stupid for making win now proposals and the only response they deserve is to be told just that.

33 minutes ago, Aircool said:

I've made plenty responses in other threads highlighting why. Go find one of them. At some point people are just stupid for making win now proposals and the only response they deserve is to be told just that.

Other posters above have made legitimate counter arguments. You on the other hand, expect me to go and dig for responses that you made that aren't even related to my proposal. 

This isn't a win now proposal...If it was, I wouldn't have proposed to trade Edler for a 2nd round pick or expose him? Or release Ryan miller and bring in a much cheaper and less quality backup goalie and shed loads of cap space at the same time?  Did you even read or did you just quickly come up with something to say to make you seem smart?

With Tryamkin gone/Edler gone, and Juolevi being 1-2 year away, we would need to fill in that hole and Stone, a low-profile defender, would fill that spot temporary. Not a win now move. Then we off load him at the deadline on his last year and get a prospect or get picks!!!! Quite weird for a win now proposal? Peluso brings much needed grit. Thats probably it. Not a win now move. If I proposed to trade Baertschi for a 28-30 year old player then yeah, that would be a win-now type move. Then I'd deserve those comments. By the time we're ready to compete Kreider would be 28-30yrs old and it would fit with our rebuilding timeline. 

Not to mention the line-up would consist of a 19 year old, 20 year old, a 21 year old, a 22 year old, a 23 year old, three 24 year olds, and majority of the players being 25-29. There would be only 3-4 players above 30 years old (Sedins 37, Eriksson 32, and a backup UFA) goalie. I doubt we're gonna make the playoffs with a young kind of line-up like that. See Winnipeg. See Buffalo. See New Jersey.

9 minutes ago, ChampStatus said:

Why trade William Lockwood who had a good season in NCAA this year?

For that reason I am out.

I like Lockwood too. But we would need to add pieces to get Kreider. Yes, you're sacrificing a player or two but we acquire a 2nd round pick from the Edler trade and then we suddenly have 3 2nd round picks (CBJ 2nd). We will be getting 3 quality prospects back with a higher chance of making the NHL than Lockwood which nullifies the loss. Especially since there's always 1st rounders that drop to the 2nd. 

Archived