The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Dallas-Van

To Dallas

Tanev+Baertschi

To Vancouver

Dallas 1st + Lehtonen + Stransky+  Hintz

We give up a top pairing D in Tanev and 20 goal scorer in Baertschi plus take goalie cap off Dallas's hands. Tanev is worth at least a mid first and Baertschi (along with Leht's cap) added to that gets us Dallas first and a decent prospect. 

Dallas has the team to compete and they've shown they aren't going to fully rebuild by trading for Bishop. Adding Tanev shores up their D and Baertschi fits right into their middle six.

Vancouver gets another first so they can pick a C like Mitts and a D like Liljegrin. We get a backup goalie that may improve enough to be traded at deadline but probably not. Stransky is a talented RW prospect that can start in the AHL next year and be a callup. Stransky has the size that we need but his skating is a bit of a question mark and he still needs to work on it. 

Instead of Stransky I put in Hintz who is a C/W who has a promising future and is slightly better then Stransky. Makes the deal a little more fair as some thought Tanev+Baer was to much for the original three.

Or maybe we retain money on Eriksson and ship him out... ;) 

I don't know much about Stransky, seems like a decent prospect but I really feel Baer is just getting started he really isn't a playing I want to see traded. I feel like him and Bo are clicking and are just going to get better.

I liken Dallas' situation to Detroit's last year a little bit.

Detroit had Datsyuk's fat contract on the books and they wanted to compete and try to make the playoffs (Dallas wants to compete and not only make the playoffs but try to win it all)

Detroit gave up their mid 1st to Arizona and got nothing in return just for them to take Datsyuk's contract off their hands.

Either of Dallas' goalies, not named Bishop, contracts aren't quite as bad as Datsyuk's was, but if it was to be just a straight cap dump/absorption from the other team, straight up I would value it as a low 1st round pick. Anaheim's 1st + Dallas goalie for nothing.

Now to get their 3rd ovr, that's a bit more trickey. Whomever they pick is very unlikely to be able to help their team in the foreseeable future, their window to win is within the next 5-6 years tops you would think with Benn and Sequins ages. 

If we add a player that can help them now, like Tanev, I think a deal structured around

Dallas goalie + 3rd ovr

for

Tanev + Canucks 2nd round pick

Could potentially work to both team's benefit.

1 minute ago, Glory_Days said:

I liken Dallas to Detroit last year a little bit.

Detroit had Datsyuk's fat contract on the books and they wanted to compete and try to make the playoffs (Dallas wants to compete and not only make the playoffs but try to win it all)

Detroit gave up their mid 1st to Arizona and got nothing in return just for them to take Datsyuk's contract off their hands.

Either of Dallas' goalies, not named Bishop, contracts aren't quite as bad as Datsyuk's was, but if it was to be just a straight cap dump/absorption from the other team, straight up I would value it as a low 1st round pick. Anaheim's 1st + Dallas goalie for nothing.

Now to get their 3rd ovr, that's a bit more trickey. Whomever they pick is very unlikely to be able to help their team in the foreseeable future, their window to win is within the next 5-6 years tops you would think with Benn and Sequins ages. 

If we add a player that can help them now, like Tanev, I think a deal structured around

Dallas goalie + 3rd ovr

for

Please phone JB and tell him about this!

17 minutes ago, Glory_Days said:

I liken Dallas' situation to Detroit's last year a little bit.

Dallas goalie + 3rd ovr

for

Honestly I think your overpaying with that. Basically your giving tanev, a very high 2nd (almost a first in itself) and a cap dump for one first round pick. Tanev is worth a mid first and if you add in a cap dump it should work. I was merely hoping to get more prospects and value but even I may have overpaid from our side. Its hard to guess what exactly that cap dumps worth. Maybe if you add in a decent prospect to yours it comes out fair.

Lehtonen+ 3rd ovr + Hintz

for 

Tanev+ 3rd 2017

I agree, that Tanev by himself is worth a lower-mid 1st.

There is a big leap from a 16th or so overall pick to a top 3 pick though.

We could perhaps get it done with our 3rd, or maybe Columbus' 2nd round pick that we will be getting from them this year. If I'm Dallas though, I wouldn't be trading away our 3rd ovr just for a cap dump and some random player that will slot into their lineup.

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Honestly I think your overpaying with that. Basically your giving tanev, a very high 2nd (almost a first in itself) and a cap dump for one first round pick. Tanev is worth a mid first and if you add in a cap dump it should work. I was merely hoping to get more prospects and value but even I may have overpaid from our side. Its hard to guess what exactly that cap dumps worth. Maybe if you add in a decent prospect to yours it comes out fair.

Lehtonen+ 3rd ovr + Hintz

for 

Tanev+ 3rd 2017

The only thing I see that may prevent a deal like this is the Expansion draft. 

If I remember maybe Dallas just picked up rights to Bishop?

makes me think maybe Nill has a deal in place with McPhee to take one goalie off Dallas with a lesser than 1st round pick as compensation?

Otherwise I would say that I hope JB is hammering the phone to get Nill's attention and putting Tanev in play.

I would be asking Nichushkin (sp) + 1st back. Hoping to send a positive message to Tryamkin. 

Balance it out with leaser picks & prospects going back to Dallas.

Archived