The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Kuzma: Rebuilding Canucks Want Miller, Won’t Shop Tanev Or Edler

MJDDawg

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

What do expect in return for Burrows and Hansen?  Honestly?  No GM is dumb enough to give up surefire elite NHL scoring for Hansen or Burrows.  Those were very good trades, don't expect Benning to turn water into wine.  

Agreed, liked those trades but they should have been traded the year Benning was hired when their value was higher. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We cannot have a Colorado type season. 

Do all you fans live in a fantasy world? 

Ever thought about the fact that we are a sliver away from being the laughing stock of the league and losing 7-1 on a nightly basis

That would result in more departures, and nobody wanting to play in Vancouver. 

We we need Miller.

I'm guessing that Bennings reasoning behind signing Miller and keeping Tanev are to keep the team competitive...Canucks are not a playoff team to begin with (more like bottom 5),and to trade Tanev would more than likely put them out of games before they've even dropped the puck....There has to be something compelling for the average punter to purchase tickets...

Even though trading Tanev makes so much sense ( a 10 ten pick in this years draft)...I can see why Benning is pumping the brakes a bit.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We cannot have a Colorado type season. 

Do all you fans live in a fantasy world? 

Ever thought about the fact that we are a sliver away from being the laughing stock of the league and losing 7-1 on a nightly basis? 

That would result in more departures, and nobody wanting to play in Vancouver. 

We we need Miller.

Sorry to break it to you but the Canucks are a laughing stock and free agents don't want to come to a 29th overall team any more than they do the 30th.  

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Agreed, liked those trades but they should have been traded the year Benning was hired when their value was higher. 

Problem was,..was that the Sedins had NMC's and were still first line players at the time of JB's first season..All in all,a 100 point season was considered a success  for the franchise (considering how poorly everyone performed under Torts the previous year)...Hansen and Burrows were still a part of that contributing core with the Sedins..

I know you wanted JB to disassemble the core when he got here..but the bed was already made for him when he got here (Sedins)..

I thought JB should have gutted the team after the playoff loss to Calgary,but thats a story for another day.

22 minutes ago, PCK said:

I don't understand why JB signed Markstrom to 3.67 mil per year if he wants to keep Miller around.

Because Markstrom is the eventual starter and will likely start this year. He wants to bring Markstrom back as insurance in front of or behind Markstrom if he struggles or gets injured. You don't want to throw Demko into the NHL before he's ready, or force too many minutes on top of him in the AHL. The idea is to do everything possible to let Demko develop the best he can.

But what I'm hearing is that Miller will likely get 4 mil per season and possibly 2 years. I was hoping that the Canucks take on a goalie like Cam Ward or one of the Dallas crappy goalies along with a high pick from them.

The long and short of the current situation is the Canucks need to draft well and have as many chances as possible in the draft. If we can flip players like Tanev, or Edler for rock solid draft picks we should do it.

Players like the Sedin's have been wonderful to the Franchise, and if they want to come back after the next season they need to do so at a price that's good for the Canuck's future or retire. That is the harshest reality we have to face if we want to get the Franchise headed in the right direction. Do everything possible to celebrate their time here, and allow them a place in the organization if they so desire. However we cannot hamstring our cap situation if they aren't producing, and that's just the harsh reality of the NHL.

2 minutes ago, PCK said:

But what I'm hearing is that Miller will likely get 4 mil per season and possibly 2 years. I was hoping that the Canucks take on a goalie like Cam Ward or one of the Dallas crappy goalies along with a high pick from them.

4 million per season over 2 years is a pretty solid move to ensure stability and make sure Demko is in a good situation. We have helped our cap situation with recent moves and that shouldn't be a concern, even with having to resign Horvat this off-season as well as others. The Sedins have to be re-signed or retire next year and aren't going to command their current salary. We have plenty of wiggle room at the moment.

Your suggestions aren't bad, but we need to make sure that we are bringing in the guys that afford us the chance to properly develop Demko, and not just take on bad goalies and contracts for picks.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:13 AM, Rush17 said:

I really hope miller can last a few more seasons. I really like the concept of having Ryan train and help develop Thatcher.   Having the best American goaltender in us history teaching your young American tender can only do great things.   

I've been pushing for flipping Markstrom since last fall.  I just am unsure if miller has the ability to remain a top flight tender until Thatcher is ready to share and eventually take over the #1 duties.

I love miller's desire to stay in the city.   he loves Vancouver and our fans.  I would like nothing more for him to come back and be a culture carrier.  

his approach to goaltending reminds me so much of Thatchers.  I hope he stays in the organization if he ever is beat out of the league.  I have come a long way in my opinions of miller.

When I listened to the interview Yesterday, Both JB and miler spoke about the plan they have moving forward. Doesn't take A genius to read between the lines. Basically, Miller want's to be here and we should want him. Everyone $&!# on him and JB for the signing except A few of us. 

Fast forward 3 years later and this guy is one of us. The way he stuck up for Stech the way he goes out of his way to say he's all in, this guy is A class act;

What I gathered from the interview is that he is on board with whjatever the Canucks have planned. I also like how JB is coy when it comes to trading Tanev. As for Edler I think he remains A canuck unless he's made an offer he can't refuse

The thing is, I think Markstrom is just as good as Miller, if not just very slightly worse. Also, I think Cam Ward is just as good as Miller too for example. I don't mind Miller coming back for another year, but 2 years is a bit much, imo. 

1 hour ago, PCK said:

The thing is, I think Markstrom is just as good as Miller, if not just very slightly worse. Also, I think Cam Ward is just as good as Miller too for example. I don't mind Miller coming back for another year, but 2 years is a bit much, imo. 

I don't know. 2 years is fairly short in this day and age, even for an older player. If it was 3 I would be more concerned, but 2 seems to be the going rate for guys that seem to still have a little gas left in the tank. With Demko probably not getting into games with the big club until the season following the upcoming one, I feel like 2 years is about right for whoever we sign.

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Sorry to break it to you but the Canucks are a laughing stock and free agents don't want to come to a 29th overall team any more than they do the 30th.  

There is a big difference between us and Colorado in terms of our season last year. 

If  you followed the NHL you would've heard 82 jokes at Colorado's expense. 

We  were just bad, like a few other teams, not Colorado bad.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We're those one-sided losses a function of Colorado's poor goaltending, or more so that heir forwards and defence top minute (so called) stars PLAY NO DEFENCE.   Our team IS NOT full of selfish players, like the .Avs

Mr Alf, your view is not so different from mine /Bond Villain

i believe that when you play on a team as bad as Colorado, everyone becomes selfish because you don't have a chance of winning and personal stats are of only importance since you are playing for your job next season.  

Losing Miller would have that effect. 

Bo and company would never have the opportunity to score any clutch goals because we would be starting 3-0 down after 1

24 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

I don't know. 2 years is fairly short in this day and age, even for an older player. If it was 3 I would be more concerned, but 2 seems to be the going rate for guys that seem to still have a little gas left in the tank. With Demko probably not getting into games with the big club until the season following the upcoming one, I feel like 2 years is about right for whoever we sign.

Exactly and Markstrom is very injury prone. 

People seem to think that Miller staying will somehow make us finish 10th worst. 

With Miller we will once again be in a dog fight to finish 3rd or 2nd worst in the league.

On 2017-05-25 at 6:22 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

There is a very good chance all three players are back for next season, like it or not.

Yeah there is no rush to trade our best defensive player for a mediocre trade. If Dallas offers their first straight up I would drive him to the airport. 

20 hours ago, aqua59 said:

I'd agree with you and tend to argue they're no longer top 6 players because their lack of speed. As the season dragged on they got slower. WD used these two up early in the show. These 2 are now in the way of younger players stepping in. The Sedins have lost a step. 

The last player the Canucks held on to far too long was Chris Higgens. The Canucks dragged their feet on moving this guy until they couldn't

get rid of him. He was painful to watch. 

Now we're seeing it with the Sedins. Their passes aren't so crisp, their skating is walker quality skating, painful to watch. Sending a fleet skater to retrieve the puck before the Sedins catch up is now becoming less of an option because they're getting there under easy coverage.

JB should have traded Burrows, Higgins for assets and kept Richardson, Matthais and Kassian when he first got here, then signed the good UFA defencemen that were on the market and not brought in old guys like Prust, Vrbata, Miller and LE.

Miller did not help the Canucks more than any other goalie would have...after Miller got injured in his first year, Markstrom stats are better and is the better goalie. JB should not have signed Miller. 

Look at the team now...management, if they don't see the errors in their way, they should be fired and someone brought in that knows how to build a contender.

19 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm guessing that Bennings reasoning behind signing Miller and keeping Tanev are to keep the team competitive...Canucks are not a playoff team to begin with (more like bottom 5),and to trade Tanev would more than likely put them out of games before they've even dropped the puck....There has to be something compelling for the average punter to purchase tickets...

Even though trading Tanev makes so much sense ( a 10 ten pick in this years draft)...I can see why Benning is pumping the brakes a bit.

Miller has proven that he doesn't make this team more competitive than any other decent goalie would have...let's continue to ignore his stats, record, injury history, rebound control, lateral movement, etc.and keeping pumping the old, past his prime player tires.

Archived