The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Kuzma: Rebuilding Canucks Want Miller, Won’t Shop Tanev Or Edler

MJDDawg

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Perhaps we'd like to go back to sweaty Gillis, and give away our draft picks for rentals, and he would basically say nothing when talking to the media? 

its a process

3 minutes ago, Fanaholic said:

It is clear the OWNERS are running this asylum.

That's been speculated by many, including some who are (supposedly) in the know, but I have yet to actually see any real solid evidence of such.  I think our owner is meddling in hockey stuff too, but until there is solid proof it's just false accusations, right?  

4 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Is it the impatience of he market or the greed of the owners?...I'd say most of the fanbases despair and hopelessness lately has revolved around the managements refusal to admit that the 'window has firmly closed' two years ago....The trading picks for young players were band aid solutions,where major surgery would have been more applicable..

They weren't bandaids, they were at worst transition pieces with upside.  And again -- "major surgery", what does that even mean?  Sell everything for magic beans, and hope they actually turn out?

The lack of entertainment factor i was speaking of mainly had to do with the coaching style of the last two coaches...I believe that Torts and Willie neutered 'skill'....Torts tried to change a veteran skill team into the 2011 Bruins...It was hard to watch as Torts played 2.5 lines to death,while the injuries piled up.

They play with what they have.  We're getting more skilled players onto the roster, and management has pretty clearly said what their vision for the team is -- a fast-skating, four line scoring team.  So once again, patience and enjoy watching the progress just remember it won't be linear.

On 2017-05-25 at 6:32 PM, Lancaster said:

Not sure why they are so reluctant in having Markstrom as the actual starter.  He's already 27, so it's either he's the #1 or he'll never be.  When you look around the league, most #1 have established themselves before the age of 25.

On 2017-05-25 at 7:12 PM, NUCKER67 said:

They're keeping Miller so they can win some games and finish with a respectable record. Markstrom needs more starts next season for sure. He's a good goalie and deserves a shot. Hopefully he wins a bunch of games next season.

My guess is Edler gets traded at the TDL to the NYR, for their 1st (2018) and a prospect.   

For the season 2015-2016, Miller started in 51 games, got ONLY17 wins, 24 regulation losses and 9 OT losses, 7 games below .500 that added up to 43 points while Markstrom started in 30 games, got 13 wins, 14 regulation losses and 4 OT losses, 1 game below .500 which added up to 30 points. In the past 2016-2017 season, Miller started in 54 games, got ONLY 18 wins, 29 losses and 6 OT losses, 11 games below .500 that added up to 42 points while Markstrom started in 23 games, got 10 wins, 11 losses and 3 OT losses, 1 game below .500 that added up to 23 points.

With the same team playing in front of them, Markstrom has consistently way better win percentage over Miller, even though Markstrom got most of the second half of back to backs which were games tougher to win for a tired Canucks team. It was Markstrom, NOT Miller, who led this team to a more respectable, or less disaster record. Markstrom is already the better goalie.

If this laughable GM still thinks his team needs the ageing Miller, the Canucks are hopeless under JB. Re-signing Miller only provides even more security for Miller after retirement and it is bad for the development of Markstrom and bad for the team. Is JB working for Miller or the team? Does the owner has control of the money to wasted in the signing?

11 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

https://www.thescore.com/news/1308240

this article basically seals any chance of both Edler and Tanev being moved since Benning public ally announced it. I didn't really want them moved in the first place unless a team absolutely overpays. They're great models for the kids and know how to play the game the right way. Not only that but they both teach how to play and what it's like playing in the NHL and how much work it takes before you become a regular NHLer. You don't learn the game overnight and that's what our young D in Stecher, Hutton, Tram who bolted are going through right now. He says that it's hard to find D. He further expands that it's hard to find D that are mobile and move the puck. He also mentions that the team can be  competitive if they have solid goaltending to ease the transition of young players into the lineup. Overall, I feel confident in the direction the team is heading and I trust Benning and TL to turn the ship over soon and become a competitive team. Of course, it's not going to take one offseason to fix a roster that had a disastrous year but if they pick well in the draft and make smart additions, the team can easily be playoff bound. We are developing our kids and it takes a while before they get accustomed to the pace, speed, skill needed in the NHL. If Granlund, Baertschi, Bo, Hutty, Stecher, Boeser and other kids step up and all build off the success they had next year, we could be in for a surprise. Maybe making the playoffs is a long shot but with Green in the helm, I believe the team is destined to do great things

What do the pay you to print this tripe and why aren't they paying me?

I can at least make BS fun to read

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's been speculated by many, including some who are (supposedly) in the know, but I have yet to actually see any real solid evidence of such.  I think our owner is meddling in hockey stuff too, but until there is solid proof it's just false accusations, right?  

This isn't a court of law, it's the entertainment industry, however we wish to speculate and use whatever state the team is in to entertain ourselves with, then we are well within the bounds of intended use.

Think of the Canucks as that car you bought to see if you could "Mad Max" it,  The one that hasn't moved in 3 years but looks F'ing cool since you took the sledgehammer to the hood and spray painted  the Death's head on the doors, once that spiked cop rammer you've been checking out online get welded to the bumper, and the engine kicks over, then the guy who delivers the real estate weekly better watch his ass

7 hours ago, zzbottom said:

So many hockey GMs look like lifelong alcoholics who just got asked, "Sir, have you been drinking?" by a cop. 

Gillis in particular....I've never heard he has any sort of issue so no rumors, but goddam, sometimes I wanted to walk up to his box open the door pull out my "Game-day-meal flask" and say "Hair of the dog buddy?"

And then he'd start sweating during interviews, I'd always think "Jesus Christ Scott Oak, hand the man a F'ing beer at least...or an aspirin"

Off topic, I'd be willing to bet at some point in history a GM made a trade while bombed, only to wake up and go...."I had the worst dream, I got drunk and traded....." Ah, the stories we'll never hear

On 5/25/2017 at 5:56 PM, Wilbur said:

I'm fine with Miller coming back but they have to start trusting Markstrom a little more.  I think Benning is doing the right thing with Tanev.  Don't give him away.  Let a GM come in and knock his socks off with an offer.

Definitely,  no half-ass Kessler deals

Sam Reinhart or bust

9 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Is it the impatience of he market or the greed of the owners?...I'd say most of the fanbases despair and hopelessness lately has revolved around the managements refusal to admit that the 'window has firmly closed' two years ago....The trading picks for young players were band aid solutions,where major surgery would have been more applicable..

The lack of entertainment factor i was speaking of mainly had to do with the coaching style of the last two coaches...I believe that Torts and Willie neutered 'skill'....Torts tried to change a veteran skill team into the 2011 Bruins...It was hard to watch as Torts played 2.5 lines to death,while the injuries piled up.

Watching WD admonishing creative players at the bench for taking 'risks' in the offensive zone was brutal to watch....How many times did the Canucks come out of the gate and concede the first goal this season?...Every game was like watching the same movie over and over again,...the same PP.( which the coaching staff refused to improvise)...the 4th line plugs on the ice in the last minute to score the tying goal..etc

I don't mind losing,but I think fans want to see a coach that lets players 'play'..If were going to lose a lot next year lets try and 'win' the game,instead of playing 'not to lose' which is what we've been subjected to...

Absolutely correct, the most frustrating thing is that just prior to this phase Calgary was EXACTLY where we are, Vets clogging up the system (But respected and loved vets) Owner DEMANDING the playoffs out of a team no longer capable of making them, it was gridlock on all fronts in Calgary until they gave up.....and it seemed like over night a full commitment to a rebuild created one of the youngest most exciting teams in the league, will they win a cup? Probably not but the are sure as hell worth paying to see.

That's the frustrating thing, none of this is rocket science, If the Flames can deal Iginla why the hell aren't we getting something for the Sedin's in the last year of their deal? We can retain salary and accommodate whoever wants to take a shot at the cup, it's too obvious, so why don't we?

Our owner isn't full committed, think back once Iginla and Kipper were gone a whole new exciting era began, fans in Vancouver know that we could have that too, but the owner won't let us for reasons known only to him.

This whole regime has boiles down to wanting to have it's cake and eat it too, in the intern the fans have starved. I know Trev is smart enough to know this, Aqua and Benning I don't know about. Benning's seeming lck of intelligence and history of avoidable mistakes really makes me question his role in the organization.

P.S just for the record, as a fan winning isn't even a top 3 priority right now, I could care less if they win, I want to see passion and creativity, some of these guys are artists and I want to watch them create.

8 hours ago, zzbottom said:

So many hockey GMs look like lifelong alcoholics who just got asked, "Sir, have you been drinking?" by a cop. 

At least Brian Burke owned the look...his tie wasn't done up and sleeves rolled wearing a lumpy creased shirt because he's Irish and spends his half his time at airport bars talking to strangers how he built the ANA ducks and 2011 Vancouver team.

Ranked worst gm for good reason. 

Tanev edler should both be moved that's what rebuilding teams do move out older vets to get young prospects and draft picks. 

I like miller but I hope he goes else where. This nonsense" role models "for the kids is by far the weakest arguement to keep these guys first of all it take the "kids" out of the line up. 

Meh one more season of blundering  benning then the worst gm in the league will be fired and he and megna and willie can have a reunion.  

keep miller tanev edler and with bennings history add a another over priced ufa benning will be saying how the team is "competitive" and a "playoff team".......again and again the kids can sit and watch as the team tries to be something it's not. 

Empty seats but with  a oiler model rebuild with years of a delusional gm. Time for a experienced professional NHL quality GM that has a real plan and knows how to exacute it not a hack, media sales man that panders to the guilable. 

Archived