The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Kuzma: Rebuilding Canucks Want Miller, Won’t Shop Tanev Or Edler

MJDDawg

13 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Absolutely correct, the most frustrating thing is that just prior to this phase Calgary was EXACTLY where we are, Vets clogging up the system (But respected and loved vets) Owner DEMANDING the playoffs out of a team no longer capable of making them, it was gridlock on all fronts in Calgary until they gave up.....and it seemed like over night a full commitment to a rebuild created one of the youngest most exciting teams in the league, will they win a cup? Probably not but the are sure as hell worth paying to see.

That's the frustrating thing, none of this is rocket science, If the Flames can deal Iginla why the hell aren't we getting something for the Sedin's in the last year of their deal? We can retain salary and accommodate whoever wants to take a shot at the cup, it's too obvious, so why don't we?

Our owner isn't full committed, think back once Iginla and Kipper were gone a whole new exciting era began, fans in Vancouver know that we could have that too, but the owner won't let us for reasons known only to him.

This whole regime has boiles down to wanting to have it's cake and eat it too, in the intern the fans have starved. I know Trev is smart enough to know this, Aqua and Benning I don't know about. Benning's seeming lck of intelligence and history of avoidable mistakes really makes me question his role in the organization.

P.S just for the record, as a fan winning isn't even a top 3 priority right now, I could care less if they win, I want to see passion and creativity, some of these guys are artists and I want to watch them create.

Hate to break the news to you, but the plan is to resign the Sedins to an extension...can see it in JB's glazy stare.

I think management is realising that what they've done to date isn't working, which makes the bold part a sad reality.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Hate to break the news to you, but the plan is to resign the Sedins to an extension...can see it in JB's glazy stare.

I think management is realising that what they've done to date isn't working, which makes the bold part a sad reality.

Good....god....no. 

No offense, love the guys, but this is their last season. They won't be top 6 players 2 years from now and will just be taking away ice time from guys like Virtanen, Gaunce, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lockwood etc. 

spin city from these guys. re-tool, rebuild.  they either can't live up to what they promise, ie: remain competitive while we re-tool, then say 'yes we are rebuilding' but refuse to trade assets for more rebuilding blocks.  the reality:  they are taking heat for not remaining competitive and to deflect that heat have mentioned the rebuild word to appease the public while continuing on with the intention of re-tooling which has been nothing more than a disaster to this point.  we will cling to the jb is a drafting guru mantra. 

On 2017-5-26 at 8:56 AM, Wilbur said:

I'm fine with Miller coming back but they have to start trusting Markstrom a little more.  I think Benning is doing the right thing with Tanev.  Don't give him away.  Let a GM come in and knock his socks off with an offer.

it would be nice tho if we had a gm that could orchestrate a sweet deal rather than sit back passively and pick from the best of what he is offered.  

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Good....god....no. 

No offense, love the guys, but this is their last season. They won't be top 6 players 2 years from now and will just be taking away ice time from guys like Virtanen, Gaunce, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lockwood etc. 

I'm ok with hank and dank playing for a couple more years (at a lower salary), as a 2nd or 3rd line. Yes they are declining, but I believe they will still be good for 40-50 pts per season, which is pretty darn good for a third liner in today's NHL.

15 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I'm ok with hank and dank playing for a couple more years (at a lower salary), as a 2nd or 3rd line. Yes they are declining, but I believe they will still be good for 40-50 pts per season, which is pretty darn good for a third liner in today's NHL.

They averaged 47.5 points between the 2 of them this year and that was with 1st line ice time. You don't see them declining any more? If they both score 50+ points this year I could see them signing a 1 year extension for maybe $3M each. But if they decline any further, it would be best to part ways. It only impeeds our prospects development. 

However, it we end of drafting a guy like Mittelstatd, he's committed to playing college hockey and probably won't be in our lineup for 2-3 years. So I guess we'll have to wait and see. Maybe I'm being a little unrealistic? After giving it some more thought, we may not have anyone to replace them after their deals are up...

7 hours ago, logic said:

hahahahahahaah Gillis would be god awful on a rebuilding team.. He'd be going after guys like Roybaby, handing NTC out like candy all while having an abysmal draft record

I bet if Gillis had a rebuilding team after 3 years he'd have more NHL regulars than Benning has had so far (1, Tryamkin).  

At least Gillis handed out NTC's to players like the Sedins and Kesler.  Not to clowns like Sutter and Eriksson.  

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

I bet if Gillis had a rebuilding team after 3 years he'd have more NHL regulars than Benning has had so far (1, Tryamkin).  

At least Gillis handed out NTC's to players like the Sedins and Kesler.  Not to clowns like Sutter and Eriksson.  

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

6 hours ago, granpappy said:

it would be nice tho if we had a gm that could orchestrate a sweet deal rather than sit back passively and pick from the best of what he is offered.  

The Burrows trade was a "sweet deal", the Hansen trade was a "sweet deal."

He said he wouldn't trade veterans but look at the deals above. Are you Benning bashers not paying attention or what?

This is all part of the game. If he says who is available to the Media it only weakens his trading position.

Haven't you people played cards before? What's he supposed to do, show his hand when asked?

5 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

The Burrows trade was a "sweet deal", the Hansen trade was a "sweet deal."

He said he wouldn't trade veterans but look at the deals above. Are you Benning bashers not paying attention or what?

This is all part of the game. If he says who is available to the Media it only weakens his trading position.

Haven't you people played cards before? What's he supposed to do, show his hand when asked?

Have you read the scouting reports on these guys, sure they are talented but there are more than an one "if" here and there, mostly to do with can their game's translate to the NHL. One is guaranteed a spot and both probably could make the Canucks in the regular season and likely help in scoring and add a little excitement every now and then. So I guess if the "plan" is not to make the playoffs for a number of years then they are just good enough but I am pretty sure that if all the other team's scouts didn't believe they could help those playoff and now cap tested teams there is some question marks there.

Players like Tanev and Edler, if held in an auction might produce better results than closed door negotiations, Benning hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in the behind the scenes deals, namely the Hamhuis non-trade or the Forsling deal. Besides if he announced it to the media they would just "print" the "are" instead of "might be" or "should be", not much of a difference, the stories and rumours keep coming out anyway.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Have you read the scouting reports on these guys, sure they are talented but there are more than an one "if" here and there, mostly to do with can their game's translate to the NHL. One is guaranteed a spot and both probably could make the Canucks in the regular season and likely help in scoring and add a little excitement every now and then. So I guess if the "plan" is not to make the playoffs for a number of years then they are just good enough but I am pretty sure that if all the other team's scouts didn't believe they could help those playoff and now cap tested teams there is some question marks there.

Players like Tanev and Edler, if held in an auction might produce better results than closed door negotiations, Benning hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in the behind the scenes deals, namely the Hamhuis non-trade or the Forsling deal. Besides if he announced it to the media they would just "print" the "are" instead of "might be" or "should be", not much of a difference, the stories and rumours keep coming out anyway.

What do expect in return for Burrows and Hansen?  Honestly?  No GM is dumb enough to give up surefire elite NHL scoring for Hansen or Burrows.  Those were very good trades, don't expect Benning to turn water into wine.  I'd also temper your expectations on returns for Tanev and Edler (if Edler gets traded at all, he holds those cards not Benning).  Tanev is a good chip, but you're not going to get sure-fire 1st line potential in return.  You're going to get something that has question marks attached to it and hopefully they turn out like the Naslund or Bertuzzi trades.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

What do expect in return for Burrows and Hansen?  Honestly?  No GM is dumb enough to give up surefire elite NHL scoring for Hansen or Burrows.  Those were very good trades, don't expect Benning to turn water into wine.  I'd also temper your expectations on returns for Tanev and Edler (if Edler gets traded at all, he holds those cards not Benning).  Tanev is a good chip, but you're not going to get sure-fire 1st line potential in return.  You're going to get something that has question marks attached to it and hopefully they turn out like the Naslund or Bertuzzi trades.

I am not sure abut Tanev, while he doesn't play the same game as Larsson, he is still something of a stats machine in shot suppression at least, he doesn't take many penalties, is often put against the other team's top players, played with many rookies this year, can play left or right side, if the team were not so desperately needing top line talent I would never want to trade him. Oh yeah, at bottom four money for 4 years.

It is all speculation anyway, Benning doesn't make winning trades and as long as he only does these little "soft" deals his job is not in jeopardy for making a Sequin for Eriksson deal, he learned that after that deal was made. A winning trade for him is just getting a guy that can play in the NHL at all. 

Even if we were to get a top two pick out of Tanev if comes with question marks. There will be some great players come out of this years draft but it could turn out to be mid round and the players at the top could struggle.

I wonder if Tryamkin is having second thoughts about the KHL. Some players have waited 6 months for their pay and the league is dropping a team and maybe more to come. Not a very smart move on his part or his agent's. They are something like a billion dollars in arears.

We cannot have a Colorado type season. 

Do all you fans live in a fantasy world? 

Ever thought about the fact that we are a sliver away from being the laughing stock of the league and losing 7-1 on a nightly basis? 

That would result in more departures, and nobody wanting to play in Vancouver. 

We we need Miller.

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We cannot have a Colorado type season. 

Do all you fans live in a fantasy world? 

Ever thought about the fact that we are a sliver away from being the laughing stock of the league and losing 7-1 on a nightly basis? 

That would result in more departures, and nobody wanting to play in Vancouver. 

We we need Miller.

We're those one-sided losses a function of Colorado's poor goaltending, or more so that heir forwards and defence top minute (so called) stars PLAY NO DEFENCE.   Our team IS NOT full of selfish players, like the .Avs

15 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Good....god....no. 

I'd agree with you and tend to argue they're no longer top 6 players because their lack of speed. As the season dragged on they got slower. WD used these two up early in the show. These 2 are now in the way of younger players stepping in. The Sedins have lost a step. 

The last player the Canucks held on to far too long was Chris Higgens. The Canucks dragged their feet on moving this guy until they couldn't

get rid of him. He was painful to watch. 

Now we're seeing it with the Sedins. Their passes aren't so crisp, their skating is walker quality skating, painful to watch. Sending a fleet skater to retrieve the puck before the Sedins catch up is now becoming less of an option because they're getting there under easy coverage.

Archived